West Stronghold Rock Climbing
|GPS:||31.93, -110.01 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||173,618 total · 2,373/month|
|Shared By:||Geir on Feb 16, 2012|
|Admins:||Greg Opland, Luke Bertelsen, JJ Schlick|
DescriptionThe West Stronghold is accessed from Middlemarch Road near Tombstone. Geographically the West Stronghold includes a much larger area than the east. Gems include Westworld Dome, Whale Dome, the Sheepshead, and about 1,000 unpublished routes waiting to be repeated.
A Google Earth .kmz file can be downloaded for this area using the link below:
Access to this area is a privilege. Be a good steward of Cochise Stronghold by keeping the Leave No Trace principles in mind when visiting here. Below is a partial list of these principles and how they might be applied in the Stronghold. For further information, visitlnt.org.
1) Travel and camp on durable surfaces. Stay on trails and avoid damaging surface vegetation. Use established campsites.
2) Dispose of waste properly. Pack out litter. Dispose of human waste in a cathole at least 6-8 inches deep and 200 feet away from water. Do not leave toilet paper out in the wilderness.
3) Leave what you find. Leave rocks, plants, archaeological artifacts and other objects as found.
4) Minimize use and impact of fire. If a campfire is constructed use existing fire rings. Do not cut down trees for firewood. Ensure campfires are completely extinguished before leaving.
5) Respect wildlife. If enough people approach or interfere with wildlife, it can be disruptive to animal populations.
6) Be considerate of other visitors. Many other people enjoy the area, including bird watchers, hikers, and horseback riders. They have as much right to be there as climbers.
Getting ThereFrom Tucson take I-10 east to exit 303.
Bear right on to highway 80 and head through Benson (2.2 miles).
Once through Benson keep right on to highway 80 and continue 21.7 miles to Middlemarch Road.
Turn left on Middlemarch road and continue for 9.9 miles. (This is a dirt road and can be rough but is passable by passenger cars so long as the washes are not full of water.)
Turn left on to forest road 687. (The road becomes rougher and is passable by passenger cars only when driven carefully. Your car can be damaged on this road, please be careful). The following mileage measurements are all relative to this intersection:
0.4 miles - Sheepshead parking area, free primitive camping.
2.0 miles - Sweet Rock, Isle of You (Ewe), free primitive camping.
6.5 miles - Parking for Warpath dome approach.
7.2 miles - Large private ranch
10.1 miles - end of the road. Parking for Whale Dome, Westworld Dome, Paleface, Ghost Dome, and Squaretop. Free primitive camping.
Classic Climbing Routes at West Stronghold
Mountain Project's determination of the classic, most popular, highest rated climbing routes in this area.
Days w Precip
Prime Climbing Season