Mountain Project Logo

Frequently Asked Red Rock Questions with Links to the Answers

Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Darren S · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 3,388

UPDATED THREAD: mountainproject.com/forum/t…

So I recently was thinking that having a place to find answers to common questions would be sweet. So here you go. I think it would be great if people would add information about these topics to these existing threads so that we can have one consolidated area to share this stuff Hope you all like it

main red rock page with current weather and late exit pass info mountainproject.com/area/10…

map with GPS coordinates and climbing areas labelled map;

amazing weather data including rain gauge noaa weather data for red rock;sid=RRKN2&num=168&raw=0&dbn=m

Red Rock weather links below.  The rain gauge is at the visitor's center area, so it's not measuring the actual weather in the canyons.  But it's the only gauge we have, and at least gives you some idea if you should even bother.  Takes at least a couple days after 0.10+" rain for all the rock to be dry.  Exposed areas that see a lot of sun perhaps less time.

Forecast:Forecast

Recent rainfall [also shows percent of sun and wind to help guestimate rate of drying]:https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=vef&sid=RRKN2&num=3000&raw=0&dbn=m 

Where to climb when it rains Where to climb when it rains

rain in red rock: reasons to wait for it to dry rain and red rock

sunny routes/cold weather climbing mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad…

shady routes mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad…  

good routes less traveled mountainproject.com/v/nevad…  

good beginner routes  routes for red rock newbies

best guidebook

http://www.redrocksguidebook.com/ The link to the new 2nd edition Handren book mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad…

guide services mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad…

hotel recommendations mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad…

local homes for short term rental airbnb.com/rooms/1796111 http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1796246

camping threads mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad…

weather information broken down by month

about February mountainproject.com/v/nevad…

about June mountainproject.com/v/nevad…

about August mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… about September mountainproject.com/v/nevad…

about October mountainproject.com/v/nevad…

about November mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad…

mountainproject.com/v/nevad…

about December mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… http://www.mountainproject.com/v/nevada/climbing_in_red_rocks_december_and_january_/106550162

about rentals

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/nevada/home_rentals_near_red_rocks/106884907

mountainproject.com/v/nevad… http://www.mountainproject.com/v/nevada/short_term_furnished_condohouse_for_rr_on_westside/106885412

Greg Gavin · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 888

dang! the red rocks bible...

John Maguire · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 195

Scotts going to cream his pants when he sees this...

Sherri Lewis · · Sequim, WA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 316
Greg G wrote:dang! the red rocks bible...
Amen! (and nice work, Darren!)
Michael Kimm · · Free Soil, MI · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 2,585

See, this is the problem with the Clark County School District: teachers waste their work days assembling this sort of drivel while neglecting their students during their contract hours. I don't see those science proficiency exam scores going up Mr. Snipes. Sad. Just sad.

phil broscovak · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2002 · Points: 1,631

Well done Darren.
Was tracking all that down a Snipe hunt?

Karsten Duncan · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 2,571

What about a link to Killis rants? . . .

Timmy Fearn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2006 · Points: 95

Awesome work, thank you so much!

tenesmus · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2004 · Points: 3,023
Karsten wrote:What about a link to Killis rants? . . .
Here you go

beaten to the punch

mountainproject.com/u/killi…

Michael Kimm · · Free Soil, MI · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 2,585

Please Darren, I know better. I know I would never post to mountainproject while at work... =D.

Unboundquark · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 195

Here is the information for late exit passes at Red Rock

- LATE EXIT PASSES -

The Scenic Drive hours are: 6 a.m. - 5 p.m. November 1 through February 28/29

It is easy to be late returning to your car, and the tickets are EXPENSIVE. The BLM has a "Late Exit" system in place to allow climbers extra time before they must exit the scenic loop road.

Passes will only be issued for multi-pitch routes located at:

Angel Food Wall
Oak Creek Canyon
Icebox Canyon
Juniper Canyon
Pine Creek Canyon

Full details are on the BLM recording at 702-515-5050. Here's what to do:

Call the LATE EXIT RECORDING at 702-515-5050.

You can call up to seven days prior to your climb. If you can get a cell phone signal (but don't count on this), you can call as late as 4:00 p.m. on the day of your climb. Be prepared to recite the following information to the answering machine:

1. Your name and address
2. Vehicle license number and description
3. Type of pass (late exit or overnight)
4. Intended date of climb
5. Route name
6. Parking area
7. Your phone number

ALL information must be left or NO PERMIT WILL BE ISSUED!

Unboundquark · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 195

Here is a site for historical weather information...

wunderground.com/history/ai…

doligo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 264

quoting for just in case and future reference...

Darren Snipes wrote:So I recently was thinking that having a place to find answers to common questions would be sweet. So here you go. I think it would be great if people would add information about these topics to these existing threads so that we can have one consolidated area to share this stuff Hope you all like it sunny routes/cold weather climbing mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… shady routes mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… best guidebook mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… guide services mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… hotel recommendations mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… camping threads mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… weather information broken down by month about February mountainproject.com/v/nevad… about June mountainproject.com/v/nevad… about August mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… about September mountainproject.com/v/nevad… about October mountainproject.com/v/nevad… about November mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… about December mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… about rentals mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad… mountainproject.com/v/nevad…
trundlebum · · Las Vegas NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 85

Awesome compilation Darren - Kudos

Now if we could make it a 'sticky' or something of the sort.

How can we edit/update it so it/ this doesn't just become another thread of hodge podge links and suggestions?

Keep that organization.

trundlebum wrote:Awesome compilation Darren - Kudos Now if we could make it a 'sticky' or something of the sort. How can we edit/update it so it/ this doesn't just become another thread of hodge podge links and suggestions? Keep that organization.
Trundlebum - it is a sticky.
So far the only thing I can think of that will keep this thing organized is have people PM me with things to include in the original list and I can edit it. I would imagine a PM to the admins could do the same thing.
I'm open to other ideas about how to keep this thing organized and not become a cluster-mess. My first thought is to have any irrelevant posts deleted. Not really sure, again I'm open to suggestions.
Jon OBrien · · Nevada · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 917

nice work sniper, i would consider asking it to be a link on the main red rock page...

Jarad · · Australia · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 5

...was there something about those red rock deli chips in there? I may have missed it...

Jan Tarculas · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 927

Bump for future reference for winter needs

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318

Adding a better link for weather, the RR Canyon weather station, which allows you to check on historical precip data. McCarran is on the other side of town, which tends to be warmer with less precip.

You can also access the forecast in Weather Underground by changing the Blue Diamond station to the RAWS one inside the park. Adjust accordingly for higher elevation routes.

fossana wrote:Adding a better link for weather, the RR Canyon weather station, which allows you to check on historical precip data. McCarran is on the other side of town, which tends to be warmer with less precip. You can also access the forecast in Weather Underground by changing the Blue Diamond station to the RAWS one inside the park. Adjust accordingly for higher elevation routes.
Hmm
When I click on the weather link I provided above (title: amazing weather data including rain guage) it goes to the RAWS site.
Are you seeing something different?

Also, I just added a link to Handren's page for the new 2nd edition of the RR guidebook

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started