red rock canyon guide books suggestion

By Pete J. Lardy
Dec 11, 2010
just back from 7546m

i'm looking for a good guidebook for RRC. suggestions?

since i'm here, what is camping like in april, can we get a site, first come first serve?

thanks.

By Travis Spaulding
From Las Vegas, NV.
Dec 11, 2010
The first pitch belay on Chips and Salsa (5.3) Red Rocks, NV.

Hi Pete!

The best guidebook available for Red Rocks is Jerry Handren's full color guide. Amazing book.

There is also a "fun climbs and top rope" book available that has a few climbs not in the Handren guide, if you are looking for lower level stuff.

You can get both of these at the local climbing shop, Desert Rock Sports.

Camping at the Red Rock campground is $10 per night on a first come first served basis. It's a couple miles from RR, and should be quite pleasant in April.

You can also call Bonnie Springs Ranch and check their rates during that time, sometimes they are pretty reasonable.

If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a message, and I'm sure many others will chime in as well.

By Pete J. Lardy
Dec 11, 2010
just back from 7546m

cheers Travis.

By J. Albers
From Colorado
Dec 11, 2010
Bucky

Handren for sure.

Also, for every other question you will probably ever have:

www.mountainproject.com/v/nevada/frequently_asked_red_rock_q>>>

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Dec 11, 2010

FYI- camping is $15/night now- rate hikes.

By Pete J. Lardy
Dec 12, 2010
just back from 7546m

cheers guys. i'll check the book out.

By Tom Fralich
From Fort Collins, CO
Dec 13, 2010

Consider getting a hotel, esp midweek. It can literally be just a few dollars more than the campground. I just booked several nights at Hooters Hotel and Casino for $20 per night. I've seen rooms going for as low as $16 per night recently. Two years ago, I stayed at Buffalo Bill's in Primm on my way out of town for $6.25! I stay at the campground on weekends when the hotel rates go up, but otherwise, I'll pay the extra couple bucks for a bed and shower.