Hot weather climbing in Red Rocks?

By Tradoholic
Jun 5, 2010
Some day I plan on moving to Vegas, how's summer climbing? I thought I saw a high over 100 today?

Maybe some night climbing?

By Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi?
From Vegas
Jun 5, 2010
Growing a winter coat in Red Rock Canyon- December...
It's totally doable, even in August. Red Rock is generally 10 degrees cooler than whatever the temp is in town. You can start hiking in really early like 4am-6am (outside the loop, so you won't have to wait till the loop opens at 6:00 am- hike early into Calico Basin/ Red Springs, First Creek, Oak Creek, Black Velvet Canyon, Illusion Crags, Chocolate Rocks, or Windy Canyon and try, and be done by 10am-ish) Or you can start your summer outing in the late afternoon; there are plenty of shady routes that are managable in the late afternoon till night in Red Rock for cragging; the hike in can be hot, but if you are accustomed to heat, it's not too bad. Bring lots, and lots of electrolytes enhanced fluids, leave an ice chest full of cold drinks in your car for the drive out, and don't forget sunscreen, and a good sun protection hat.

Or you can be cool up at Mt. Charleston , if you are into hard, limestone sport; about 30- 45 minute drive from Vegas, and about 30 degrees cooler: it'll be more crowded than Red Rock though, in the summer months. You'll have Red Rock pretty much all to yourself in the summer. Woohoo!! : )

By Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi?
From Vegas
Jun 5, 2010
Growing a winter coat in Red Rock Canyon- December...
Ah shit! Just saw on you personal page that you're coming from Wisconsin! Red Rock in the summer may take awhile for a non- desert rats to get used to; maybe a summer or two in desert conditions under ones belt. : )

But on second thought: your interests on your PP are triathlons, Scotch, general mayhem and chainsaws- you'll do just fine in extreme desert heat conditions!

By Woodchuck ATC
Jun 5, 2010
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
My last solo visit in Aug. to climb in Red Rocks resulted in zero climbers seen from 6AM up to 11AM each day. No locals, nobody at first or second turnout. Wasted 4 good climbing days in low 100's trying to find anybody. I'm guessing that it's not very busy in the summer except back in the deep cool trad' canyons.

By cassondra
From las vegas, NV
Jun 6, 2010
in repose
I was out climbing 3 days a week all last summer. On an overcast day last July, we were out at Ultraman wall until after 3 in the afternoon.

By Doug Foust
From Henderson, Nevada
Jun 6, 2010
new toy
"but if you are accustomed to heat, it's not too bad"

By Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi?
From Vegas
Jun 6, 2010
Growing a winter coat in Red Rock Canyon- December...
Doug Foust wrote:
"but if you are accustomed to heat, it's not too bad" .....at least that is what we keep telling ourselves...and don't forget, It's a dry heat ;)

I'd take being out in 108 degrees of dry heat, over a 78 degree day with high humidity any day. I love our dry heat in Southern Nevada!

By Karsten
From Sacramento, CA
Jun 6, 2010
FA's can be scary.  Photo by DeAngelo
I grew up in west texas so dry heat is in my bones but. . .

I have regularly climbed at Red Rocks when temps in vegas were in the 110+ range. Granted, I was not pulling down 5.12 or anything but then again climbing isn't always about that, is it? The canyons are much cooler and in the shade I always found climbing tolerable. The predawn starts were kind of mandatory however and it was not uncommon for me to be hiking in 6-8 liters of water. I would occasionally stash water up in the canyons too. Most of those days started at around 4:30-5am and we were hiking out by noon.

The first few pullouts will likely be pretty empty in the hotter temp days. Those climbs are not really the jewels of red rocks anyway (opinion inserted). I found exploring the canyons, learning their secrets, and experiencing climbing adventure they provide as one of the greatest experiences of my life. The heat is merely a filter to weed out the undesiring.

There is a plus side to summer climbing in the heat -
No crowds,
buzzed on 1 beer at the car,
siphon off the weak and feable partners for future endeavors,
gain the reputation of a bush-wacking idiot,
being able to spray like me on MP.com,
learning that dehydration can be worse than childbirth,
and for me getting used to the scorching temps I am to endure in the afterlife.

. . . And you meet interesting people in the desert

Desert folk
Desert folk

By Cultivating Mass
Jun 6, 2010
Leading on the only "fair means" rack.
Well said, man. The Anorexic Capri Pants Show will be in full swing up on Charleston, all summer long-I recommend bringing Pepto-Bismol and displaying it prominently so that you are accepted as part of the vapid, narcissistic, four pairs of shoes at the crag club. It's getting too hot already for the bush league to hang at Red Rock, which means it's time to get on all those shady things you've been putting off in the canyons and get used to the Kalahari lifestyle. Camel toes everywhere. At Charleston. Seriously. I just threw up in my mouth a little.

By Tradoholic
Jun 8, 2010
Awesome. Sounds like my kinda shit show!

How about yesterday, high of 110, anyone get out there?

By Jasmine Kall
Jun 8, 2010
Getting ready to climb!
I will be in Vegas on the 19th and 20th with a friend but could use someone to show us around. Anyone willing to hang out on the rocks with two girls? I can lead 8s and both of us can follow 10s.