Is climbing near Vegas this weekend insane? Where to go?

By Dr. Evil
From Boulder, CO
Jun 8, 2010
Second pitch of MF at the Gunks, on 1/12/08.

I'm going to be in Vegas this weekend and am thinking about trying to do some climbing while I'm there. Is this crazy? I see people in this thread
mountainproject.com/v/nevada/hot_weather_climbing_in_red_roc>>>
say climbing in Red Rocks is doable, but 110 degrees seems kind of warm. Is Mount Charleston a better (cooler) choice, or will my lack of anorexia get me run out of town (although I do have capri pants)? Any other areas nearby I should know about?

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Jun 8, 2010

Charleston has options, but honestly the climbing isn't that good under .11.

Crawdad canyon (veyo) may be an option up in st. George.

Paradise forks and other northern az destinations may be an option.

Thems the kicks in the summer here.

By sqwirll
From Las Vegas
Jun 8, 2010
Cool snow formation at the base.

It's only supposed to be around 80 out at Red Rock this weekend. Should be sweet.

By fossana
From Boulder, CO
Jun 8, 2010
West Overhang

110 F might be a tad bit warm, but the canyons were pleasant over Memorial Day weekend with LV temps in the high 80s to low 90s. In fact I had a hat on for part of Epinephrine. Not a bad time of year for Black Velvet and Ice Box for those of us less cold tolerant souls.

By Dow Williams
From Saint George, UT
Jun 9, 2010
Dow Williams, 2011

Sqwirll and Fossana are correct, pay attention to your forecast, June is still always doable from Red Rocks to Moab towers . Just focus on north facing aspects. Zion offers tremendous north face free climbing on Tunnel Wall, a ton of excellent 4+ pitches 5.10-12 crack routes many individual pitches within the routes which would rival anything at IC. You will have to monitor road construction mid week (via the Park website) in terms of whether you can get to the 2nd to last turn out which is the trail for these routes. Gypsy's Curse, Lap Dance, Feast of Snakes and POW Right in the Rat are all exceptional summer outings.

By Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi?
From Vegas
Jun 9, 2010
Growing a winter coat in Red Rock Canyon- December 2013.

If the forecast is right, this weekend's gonna be perrrrfect for long routes in Red Rock's canyons! This might be the last "cool" weekend of the summer season coming up. Have fun!

By Dr. Evil
From Boulder, CO
Jun 9, 2010
Second pitch of MF at the Gunks, on 1/12/08.

Now don't I feel silly for not checking the forecast! Getting up to Red Rocks will be fantastic. Thanks all for the advice.

By SexPanther aka Kiedis
Jun 10, 2010
Thumbtastic

Unless it's really, really cold this weekend, Icebox is a bad choice. The name sandbags a lot of people into thinking cool temps+shade all year long. Not so. The most popular ("Classic" is a term that I think is highly subjective) areas are Sunnyside (obviously a bad choice-check the name) and Frigidaire Buttress, which bakes all day long in summer as well. There are less frequented walls that offer shade, but a lot of the routes have pretty mank fixed gear and/or don't get done very often, so heads up. Necromancer tends to be shady in the AM but my lobster arms are a testament that you want to hit it and quit it over there-Red Rock sunburns can be ruthless.

Pine has a lot of great shady stuff-starting late and climbing classics (by MY definition) over on the East Face of Mescalito can be a great day, lots of pitches, rappel gear is bomber. Good examples are When A Stranger Calls, Cookie Monster, Walker Spur (hot damn, that's a good route!), Pine Nuts (the R rating is BS, btw-pro every 3 ft. thru the juggy roof, 2nd pitch is *sweet*, too), and This Ain't No Disco if you want a little spice-safe, just exciting.

Velvet can be great on hot days but you want to be prepared to change objectives if you realize your chosen route is 4000 degrees at the moment. Sun exposure out there midsummer makes or breaks the route, as elsewhere in the escarpment.

It does sound like the weather will be nice this weekend, so check out a semi-chady classic and bring a lot of water. I hear farmer tans are in this year.

By Jhernand
From Salt Lake City, UT
Jun 10, 2010
Mexican Crack in LCC SLC UT

I have climbed in Vegas in Aug before... all you have to do is chase the shade. If you do that you will be comfy and have a great day. When I have gone in the summer I lapped stuff in the black corridor...started the day on one side, and finished the day on the other... not to say that the top of the cimbs in the sun were not hot... but still ok, and did all the routes on the pier... I am not sure of those saw the sun all day. Also went over to Kraft mtn and was able to hit Yin Yang... look for the shade and you’ll be fine.

Then when your day is over (if your not staying in a hotel) you can poach one of the pools at a hotel (i would say hit the Suncoast) and grab a shower in the pool house before you go back to the camp ground. that or cool off in the climbing gym on charleston.