Shady cragging at Red Rocks

By Andy Laakmann
Site Landlord
From Bend, OR
Oct 2, 2009
Racked and loaded... name that splitter behind me? Hint, its on Supercrack Buttress

Thanks
Andy

By Monomaniac
From Morrison, CO
Oct 2, 2009
Insurrection, 5.14c.  Photo Adam Sanders.

Andy,

There are a lot of good options. I would highly recommend:

At 2nd Pullout:
Sweet Pain Wall
Stone Wall

Great .10s & .11s at both cliffs

At Sandstone Quarry:
The Pier mostly harder/shorter .11s & .12s
Sonic Youth Cliff not super good routes, but very shady & secluded.
The Wake-Up Wall I've never climbed here but it looks like a good option
The Mass Production Wall Great moderates & very shady & secluded.

That's all I got, I;m sure there are others.

I'm usre there are many other crags as well

By Richard Shore
Oct 2, 2009
Eichorns Pinnacle

I just did Epinephrine the first weekend of September. We were in the shade the whole day. Hiding from it in the chimneys pitches until noon, when the sun went over the hill. Rest of the climb was shaded, but it is still hot as can be though ~100. Bring lots of water wherever you go, shade or not.

I guess Epinephrine isn't considered cragging though...

By John Hegyes
From Las Vegas, NV
Oct 2, 2009
South of Windy Peak

My list is skewed toward the trad routes in the canyons. We just had the hottest September on record in Las Vegas, but finally the heat wave has broken. The sun is lower in the sky now and a lot of marginal areas are quite shady now. Come November, it will be time to seek out the sun.

Shady areas:

-Hidden Falls Wall
-Ragged Edges Cliff
-Graduate Cliff
-Sumo Greatness Crag

White Rock
-Angel Food Wall

Andy, what ratings and lengths are you looking for? For true cragging, I'd recommend Icebox and Willow Springs for single pitch, short approach type stuff.

By Brian
From North Kingstown, RI
Oct 2, 2009

Andy Laakmann wrote:
Any suggestions for shady cragging (sport or trad) at RR? Besides the Black Corridor.... Thanks Andy

Icebox Canyon.

By Andy Laakmann
Site Landlord
From Bend, OR
Oct 2, 2009

5.9 to 5.11b/c trad or sport. Wild card is my recently rebroken foot. Not sure about foot jamming, which is why we switched our climbing trip from Yosemite to RR.

We're in Vegas from today to Oct 18th... staying in Summerlin. Beer night? We have kids in tow, but grandparent coverage some of the time.

Andy

By John Hegyes
From Las Vegas, NV
Oct 2, 2009
South of Windy Peak

Was thinking about a beer night on Oct 14?

By Andy Laakmann
Site Landlord
From Bend, OR
Oct 2, 2009

That night will work... the closer to Summerlin the better for us... obviously ;)

By Andy Laakmann
Site Landlord
From Bend, OR
Oct 2, 2009

And great suggestions so far everyone.... thanks!

By Jeff G.
From Fort Collins
Oct 2, 2009
Nearing the end of Thank God Ledge.

Winter Heat is an awesome and shady wall. Three really classic traditional routes to do. Couldn't Be Schmooter 5.9+, Hi Class Ho 5.10a, and Winter Heat 5.11b. There some other bolted routes nearby. Really pretty setting too. Also try Refrigerator Wall. Do Greased Lightening an awesome 5.10b/c trad pitch and Breakaway which is 10d bolts.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Oct 2, 2009

Nobody seems to have mentioned The Peir, which is completely shaded inteh afternoon, if memory serves.

If you go to the Icebox Canyon, give this one a try:
www.mountainproject.com/v/nevada/red_rock/icebox_canyon/1058>>>

I'ts right by Cold September Corner...
And nobody else seems to have done it yet.

By George Wilson
From Las Vegas
Oct 3, 2009
The top!!

Beer???

By Andy Laakmann
Site Landlord
From Bend, OR
Oct 6, 2009

Yes, we need a beer night next week!

And... 80 degrees in Las Vegas and we're freezing our asses off in the shade. There's a cold wind in them there canyons ;)

By Brian in SLC
Oct 6, 2009
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch

John Hegyes wrote:
Was thinking about a beer night on Oct 14?

14th might work for me. Venues?

By Andy Laakmann
Site Landlord
From Bend, OR
Oct 6, 2009

We're still good for the 14th.

By Brian in SLC
Oct 7, 2009
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch

Andy Laakmann wrote:
We're still good for the 14th.

Well, in lieu of a local making a better recommendation, how 'bout BJ's?

What time does it get dark these days?

Glad to hear you got your rack back. Man, I'm bettin' your goin' to need a beer night!

Cheers,

By Nate Farr
From Las Vegas, NV
May 17, 2013
Profile

I think you'd be pretty bummed if you were looking for shade and went to the Sunnyside crag. That think is fully in the sun this time of year. I don't know if it looses it in the evening but it certainly has it from the morning until the early afternoon.

By John Hegyes
From Las Vegas, NV
May 17, 2013
South of Windy Peak

Andy was asking for shady route suggestions for an early-October trip. Sunnyside gets shade in the fall and spring. That was why I said:

John Hegyes wrote:

It's fun to see this 4 year old thread resurrected though. That was probably the biggest Mountain Project beer night in Las Vegas.