Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Question about Areas and Weather during Thanksgiving Week for Red Rocks

By GregM
Nov 3, 2009
Escalante, Co

Hey all, I'm taking a trip out to RR during Thanksgiving week 11/21-11/30 and I was wondering if there are any areas I should stay away from b/c of weather. For example will it be to cold in the Black Velvet Area?
Thanks Greg

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Nov 3, 2009

quite possibly- thanksgiving usually means south facing walls- Pine Creek and Oak Creek tend to be the best canyons for south facing routes. Windy Canyon is another good choice- as well as a nice remote location.

then again, it could be nice enough, depending on your tolerance for the cold- its all a function of temps, wind, and your personal tolerance.

By Unboundquark
Nov 4, 2009
Halfway up Devil's Tower.

Greg,

Here are links with weather related Red Rock climbing discussions:

mountainproject.com/v/nevada/black_velvet__november_and_sun/>>>

mountainproject.com/v/nevada/south_facing_multi_pitch_modera>>>

mountainproject.com/v/nevada/sunny__warm_route_suggestions/1>>>

mountainproject.com/v/nevada/black_velvet__november_and_sun/>>>

mountainproject.com/v/nevada/november_climbing_weather/10622>>>

mountainproject.com/v/nevada/red_rocks_winter_routes/1060611>>>

mountainproject.com/v/nevada/november_climbing/105994349

I just happened to have those links available because I referenced them in my planning for my upcoming trip to Red Rock.

-Glenn

By GregM
Nov 10, 2009
Escalante, Co

Thanks for the replies guys. they are super helpful.

By lin
Nov 17, 2009

You guessed it right Thanksgiving week is the biggest week of the entire year at Red Rocks, trying to find a sunny spot with out crowds is nearly impossible, unless you are willing to do a big hike.
Have fun.

By Bad Sock Puppet
Nov 18, 2009
Bad Sock Puppet

"Sunny and Steep" is a great wall but can still see lots of people since it's close to the boulder field...still the longer hike can mean less people. Also anywhere on the higher up crags will probably be empty such as "Janes Wall" and others.

Is RR ever not busy?

By Jason Halladay
From Los Alamos, NM
Nov 18, 2009
Climbing at the Belvedere crag near Nago with a great view of the northern end of Lake Garda and the town of Torbole sul Garda below. June 2013.

Paul Carlson wrote:
Looking for some RR beta, too. Any areas meet GregM's criteria (sunny), but won't be too crowded (or is T-giving the wrong time to go to avoid crowds?)? Any guidebook recommendations? ALso, never been to Vegas- any recommendations for good cheap eats after a long day of climbing? Thanks- Paul

I'd expect good crowds at Thanksgiving:

Cars parked along the road at the second pullout at Thanksgiving 2007.

The Jerry Handren book is definitely the best guide for the area.

By Bryan Hendrick
From Leadville, CO
Nov 19, 2009
Leading up a super fun 5.9 out in the Galapagos off of Geology tour road in Joshua Tree.

Jason Halladay wrote:
I'd expect good crowds at Thanksgiving: Cars parked along the road at the second pullout at Thanksgiving 2007. But if you just expect crowds and go into it knowing you should have a plan for alternate routes (and start early to climb in the cooler temps) it's still fun. It's not super cheap but it's tasty and they have good beer at BJs at West Charleston and I-215ish. Based on the name of this route other climbers enjoy BJs too. The Jerry Handren book is definitely the best guide for the area.

I second that, Jerry Hardren's book is the best.