Long shaddy Red Rock routes?

By Michael Ybarra
From on the road
Apr 30, 2009
 Trad gumby tries to go sport on the Lion King, January, 2007

I'd like to hear people's favorite long, cool routes. Any grade.

By Cory
From Boise, ID
Apr 30, 2009
Relaxing in the Tuttle Creek Campground after a fun day in the Hills

Dream of Wild Turkeys and Sour Mash (both 5.10a), on Black Velvet Wall. Awesome fun exposed climbing, great pro, and shade for all but a few hours in the morning. I haven't done Epinephrine yet, but I'm assuming that will be on my list of favorites too, once I climb it, and if you're a stronger climber than I, Fiddler on the Roof looks fantastic. . .

Frogland and Dark Shadows (both 5.8) are also nice, sustained shady climbs.

By Bret
Apr 30, 2009

Crimson Chrysalis should be mostly in the shade, too.

Agree that you may want a later start for Black Velvet routes, we did Prince of Darkness a couple years ago in May and had sun until late morning or early afternoon. I think Epi should be fine as you're in the chimneys in the morning.

By Karsten
From Sacramento, CA
Apr 30, 2009
FA's can be scary.  Photo by DeAngelo

By brucelacroix
From Portland, OR
May 2, 2009
Celebration on Middle Sister.

Community Pillar in Pine Creek.

By J. Thompson
From denver, co
May 3, 2009
Trundling a death block. Photo by Dan Gambino.

Adventure Punks.
Argueably the best 5.10 in Red Rock.

mountainproject.com/v/nevada/red_rock/pine_creek_canyon/1062>>>

josh

By Robin like the bird
From mountain center ,CA
Aug 30, 2012
oh

Karsten wrote:
For a long fun day you should try Celtic Cracks (Craics) for a nice shady route. Approach in the cool morning on any of the fun First Creek Slab routes and then taste the Shamrock roof.

Does this clmb really get shade most of the day? What about the routes under it, like lucky lady? Seems to me that it is in the sun

By Doug Foust
From Henderson, Nevada
Aug 30, 2012
new toy

I'm hoping with the installation of wag bag dispensers by the CLC that most of the routes aren't as shaddy as they used to be.

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Aug 30, 2012

Robin like the bird wrote:

Celtic Cracks does get shade most of the day in general. The slabs below start to spend most of the day in the shade in the early/mid fall. Mid-summer they are in the sun all day.

Also, RIP Mike Ybarra, the OP, who was killed in a tragic accident in the Sierra this past summer. A good friend and an amazing climber who will be missed.

By smassey
From CO
Aug 30, 2012

Doug Foust wrote:

Laughing Out Loud, sir. or whatever the kids call it these days... Touche! I sure hope you're right.

By Clayton Knudson
From El Portal, CA
Aug 30, 2012

Doug Foust wrote:

Well done Sir!

By Robin like the bird
From mountain center ,CA
Aug 30, 2012
oh

Doug Foust wrote:

Yes, I nod my head to you sir

By Zappatista
Aug 31, 2012
Book me, officer.

Doug Foust wrote:

Beat me to it, Doug. Well played.

Adventure Punks cooks in the sun during the summer months, BTW. Incredibly hot up there in the afternoons, and bright. Know from experience-that's why the retrobolts still exist on the last pitch. Half the day it was like looking directly into the sun, just from the reflection off the rock.

By Robin like the bird
From mountain center ,CA
Sep 4, 2012
oh

Just to clarlify what time shade acttully hit this wall.

By sqwirll
From Las Vegas
Sep 4, 2012
Cool snow formation at the base.

Robin like the bird wrote:
The whole labyrniinth wall on yesterday goes into the shade around 1:30. And I would bet that as it get closer the winter solstice it will get shady earlier. Just to clarlify what time shade acttully hit this wall.

If you have Google Earth, you can get an idea when the routes go into the shade. Push the sun icon on the top. You can scroll through the different times of the day to see where the sun and shade is located. It works fairly well.