Hidden Valley Campground Rock Climbing
So peaceful, amazing place, like another planet
Welcome to Hidden Valley Campground - the Camp 4 of Southern California. HVCG has a high concentration of quality routes and one could potentially spend a week in The Park without ever leaving the campground. As such, the area sees more than it's fair share of traffic. A few considerations and logistics while you're here:
- Entrance fee (currently $20) is valid for 7 days of purchase. Camping in the Park is $10/campsite/night, and is on a first-come, first-served basis (no reservations). However, reservations may be made online for group campsites at Indian Cove, Sheep Pass, Cottonwood, and Black Rock Campgrounds through the NPS Reservation Center. More about camping....
- Weekends are crowded during peak season! With its proximity to Los Angeles and San Diego, the Park draws more than 1 million visitors annually. Plan accordingly and have a backup plan if the campgrounds are full. There are numerous inexpensive motels in the nearby towns of Joshua Tree, Yucca Valley, and 29 Palms.
- There are no gas stations in the Park itself. There are two gas stations in the town of Joshua Tree - a Valero on the corner of Park and Hwy 62 and at a Circle K (no diesel) which is a block to the east. Yucca Valley, 6 miles west of town on Hwy 62, has many gas stations to choose from with most having lower prices than the ones in Joshua Tree.
- There is no running water in the Park. Come prepared with a 5-gallon or more jug if planning on staying more than a day. The last place to fill up is at the West Entrance kiosk, where you'll pay 25 cents for 5 gallons.
- Cell phones reception is spotty, but good reception can be had at Key's View. There is an ***EMERGENCY ONLY*** phone located at the second bathroom in main loop of Hidden Valley Campground. The closest payphone is at Coyote Corner at the SE corner of Park Blvd and Hwy 62.
Olden days! Photo used with permission from T. Yeary
HVCG is located 14 miles SE of the Park's West Entrance along Quail Springs Road (Park Blvd).
Weather station 10.0 miles from here
158 Total Climbing Routes
['4 Stars',1],['3 Stars',33],['2 Stars',66],['1 Star',53],['Bomb',3]
Classic Climbing Routes in Hidden Valley Campground
Browse More Rock Climbing Classics in Hidden Valley Campground
Mountain Project's determination of the classic, most popular, highest rated climbing routes for Hidden Valley Campground:
Featured Route For Hidden Valley Campground
Bearded Cabbage 5.10c 6b 20 VII 20 E2 5b CA
: Joshua Tree National Park
: ... : The Old Woman - East Face
This is a fun and interesting route!Approach as for ToeJam or Judas and look up and to the right. You will see a upward and left-rising "near-horizontal flake" coming into from the far right side of the East Face slab of the Old Woman. Above this feature there is a single bolt in the relatively short and blank section of rock between the horizontal and a vertical jam crack. Only the vertical handcrack system is visible in the attached photo.To climb this route, scramble up and to the right on...[more] Browse More Classics in CA