Bald Rock Recreational Preserve (BRRP) Climbing
|GPS:||37.645, -83.714 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||65,797 total · 4,891/month|
|Shared By:||Shirtless Mike on Jan 11, 2017|
|Admins:||saxfiend, Jason Halladay, Shirtless Mike|
Getting weather forecast...
DescriptionIn January 2017 the RRGCC purchased 102 acres guaranteeing access to some of the best and most famous areas that the RRG has to offer. The Motherlode, the Chocolate Factory, The Bear's Den and the Unlode. Climbing began at the Motherlode over 25 years ago, and has some of the steepest and hardest lines the Red has to offer. The purchase of this area secured access to 226 routes, ranging from 5.2 to 5.14c.
Working with the Access Fund the RRGCC purchased the approach to the cliffs for $235,000. However a substantial sum on the mortgage is still owed, so consider donating today. For more information or to donate see: rrgcc.networkforgood.com/pr…
Getting ThereTo get to the Bald Rock Recreational Preserve from Miguel's, travel south on KY 11 south of Torrent Falls. Turn right on to 498, and after about a mile turn right onto Bald Fork Road. Park only in designated parking areas and steer clear of all oil production equipment. Parking can be an issue at the top of the hill, so carpool if possible, and be sure not to block the roadway.
To get to the BRRP from Lago Linda's, turn right onto 399, turn right onto 52. From highway 52 turn left onto 498. After about 1 mile turn left onto Bald Fork Road.
Please slow down when driving past homes on Bald Rock Fork Road (aka the road that leads from 498 to the BRRP/PMRP). The speed limit on this road is 10 mph and driving too quickly creates dust which negatively affects the residents along the road.
NOTE: Access to many crags in the BRRP/PMRP may be problematical without a high-clearance vehicle. In the fall of 2016, the hill down to the bottom was difficult without four wheel drive and good clearance.
Waiver and Rules
The Red River Gorge Climber's Coalition (RRGCC) asks that climbers at BRRP complete this online liability waiver/rules agreement before climbing at BRRP.
numerous oil wells would pose.
- Do not park next to oil wells. Do not block oil wells or oil
- Please climb responsibly and follow “Leave No Trace”
- All dogs must be leashed or under control of their owners.
- Stay off all tagged projects and do not touch or use any project
- Hike on established trails and do not mark or damage trees or other vegetation. Approval by the RRGCC is required prior to the establishment of any new crags or trails.
- No hunting, trapping, digging for archaeological artifacts is
- No operation of motorized vehicles off established roads is
- No open fires are permitted due to the oil extraction activity in
numerous oil wells would pose.
- Overnight camping (no longterm camping) is permitted as long
Classic Climbing Routes at Bald Rock Recreational Preserve (BRRP)
Mountain Project's determination of the classic, most popular, highest rated climbing routes in this area.
Days w Precip
Prime Climbing Season