Prison Camp (Gordon Hirabayashi) Area Rock Climbing
|GPS:||32.333, -110.725 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||88,173 total · 941/month|
|Shared By:||Hendrixson on Jan 9, 2014|
|Admins:||Greg Opland, Luke Bertelsen, JJ Schlick, Brian Boyd|
The sectors comprising this area are:
- Dragon Tower: The first routes encountered. Both Dragon's Back and Dragon's Arete are worth climbing to ascend the lichen-covered tower.
- Guard Tower: Three moderate traditional routes and a sport route across the way. The traditional routes see little traffic.
- Cell Blocks: Three frequently climbed moderate lines, two of which are mixed.
- Jailhouse Rock: Prison Camp's premier wall features harder lines on water-polished rock. Standout routes include Crime And Punishment, Armed Robbery, and Sentenced To Hang. There are a number of easier, mostly mixed lines around the corner and to the left.
- Mr. Meanor Wall: A moderate mecca which is popular much of the year. The middle lines are mixed. St. Valinetine's Day Massacre is popular among new climbers. Ropes are frequently moved between anchors for toproping.
- Alcatraz Wall: A south facing wall perfect for winter climbing. Solitary is a great introductory sport lead while the other routes allow gear practice.
- Exercise Yard: Two unique, short, juggy routes downstream on an isolated formation.
The below topo shows how the area is organized.
The history of this area is worth learning. From Wikipedia :
As a part of the effort, a federal prison camp was established at the foot of the mountains specifically to supply labor for the construction of the highway. During World War II, the camp was converted into an internment camp named the Catalina Honor Camp, and the internees were forced to work on construction of the roadway. One of the Japanese-American prisoners at the camp, Gordon Hirabayashi, was later honored in 1999 when the site of the Honor Camp was converted into the Gordon Hirabayashi Recreation Area.
Classic Climbing Routes at Prison Camp (Gordon Hirabayashi) Area
Days w Precip