The Great Black North Rock Climbing
|GPS:||38.652, -105.224 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||14,849 total · 111/month|
|Shared By:||Monomaniac on Jun 30, 2009|
|Admins:||Leo Paik, John McNamee, Frances Fierst, Monty, Monomaniac, Tyler KC|
Despite the many attractions, the Great Black North is rarely visited by climbers. There are few moderate lines, and first-hand beta is hard to come by. The approach is not flat and guarded by a river crossing. The cliff base is relatively vegetated, making travel between routes tedious. However, for those interested in probing the upper echelons of difficulty, this crag can't be beat. With five 5.13s and one 5.14, this is a worthy destination for hard-men, and the handful of 5.12s sprinkled in between offer some of the best pocket cranking this side of Wild Iris. A clandestine developer has added a number of enjoyable moderates in recent years, and plenty of potential for new moderates remains.
Note: Many of the routes here are guarded by a band of choss, and generally the first bolt is very high up. Stick clip highly recommended!
Routes L --> R:
1. Don't Eat Stuff on the Sidewalk, 5.11+, 4 coldshuts, 2 BA.
2. Laugh the Past Away, 5.11c, 5 bolts, 2 BA.
3. It's All Gone, 5.11a, 4 bolts, 2 bolt anchor.
4. Skank-to-Crank, 5.10d, 4 bolts, 2 bolt anchor.
5. Black Toe Arete, 5.10-, bolts, 2 bolt anchor.
6. Cold Feet, 5.9, bolts, 2 bolt anchor.
7. Don't Make Me Shave You, 5.7, ~4 bolts, 2 bolt anchor.
8. Delilah, 5.10-, 5 bolts, 2 bolt anchor (shared w/ #9).
9. Three Doubles, 5.11c, 4 bolts 2 bolt anchor (shared w/ #8).
10. Project? (three tan bolts, no lowering hardware, no first bolt)
11. Torch & Twang, 5.12a, 7 bolts to 2 bolt anchor.
12. Triage, 5.13d, 8 bolts, 3 bolt anchor.
13. Tower of Power, 5.12a, 6 bolts, 2 bolt anchor.
14. Chuana Chavaria, 5.12a, 6 bolts, 2 bolt anchor.
15. Screamer, 5.12c?, 6 bolts?
16. Pincher, 5.12b, 4 bolts to 2 bolt anchor.
17. Dreamer, 5.13a?
18. Where Paradise Ain't So Crowded (aka "Reamer"), 5.14-, 8 bolts, 2 Bolt Chain anchor.
19. Datura, 5.11d, 6 bolts, 2 bolt anchor.
20. The Burnt Toast, 5.11b, 6 bolts, 2 bolt anchor.
21. Tout Tout de Suite, 5.12b, 7 bolts, 2 bolt anchor.
22. Bete Noir, 5.12b, 9 bolts, 2 bolt anchor.
23. The Collector, 5.12c?, 7 bolts?
24. Excel, 5.12c?, 7 bolts?
25. Crunch, 5.13b?, 8 bolts, 2 bolt anchor.
26. The Magus, 5.13b, bolts.
27. Capital Outlay, 5.12c, ~7 bolts to 2BA (immediately behind east corner of Borg Boulder).
--> Borg Boulder:
BB1. Locutus, 5.12c, 4 bolts, 2 bolt anchor.
BB2. The Borg, 5.13a, 3 bolts, 2 bolt anchor.
BB3. Resistance is Futile, 5.12a, 3 bolts, 2 bolt anchor (shared w/ previous rte).
28. Harp On It (abandoned project?), 5.12a?, 1 bolt, 1 bolt anchor - sketchy anchor.
29. Disappearing Act, 5.12?, 4 SS bolts, 1 chopped bolt, 2 bolt anchor - sketchy anchor.
30. Gone With the Wind, 5.12? 4 coldshuts, 2 bolt anchor - sketchy anchor.
31. Unknown, grade? (looks ~5.11), red angle-iron bolts, anchor?
32. Abandoned Project? 1 bolt.
To approach, hike west along the road for ~20 yds, then head south, through the field, towards the creek. Scope out the river crossing, don the appropriate equipment and ford the river. This river can be pretty high & fast-moving so use caution. A walking stick or ski pole of some kind is strongly advised. Once across the river, head downstream for ~10 yds and pick up a good climber's trail, marked with cairns, heading more or less directly up the hillside through the trees, to the south. This trail is marked with cairns the entire way, but wanders a lot, so keep your eyes peeled. The approach trail arrives at the cliff just west of "Skank-to-Crank". Most of the routes are found to the west of this point.
Classic Climbing Routes at The Great Black North
Days w Precip