Smugglers Notch Ice climbing Climbing
|GPS:||44.555, -72.796 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||131,728 total · 952/month|
|Shared By:||bradley white on Dec 27, 2009 · Updates|
|Admins:||Jason Hayden, Luc-514, Kris Fiore|
The approach times very greatly by snow conditions. Getting to Easy Gully from the Stone Hut, for example, can take 35 minutes or well over an hour depending on how much snow has come in and if the trail has been beaten in. Expect this for most climbs.
Areas/climbs listed are from North to South and the 'W' or 'E' denotes whether a climb is on the west or east side of the road.
Rt. 108 through the notch is closed from virtually the first snowfall of the season and usually stays closed until spring long after the ice is gone. As long as there is snowpack it's recommended to bring some kind of skis for the approach as the road is skiable throughout 90% of the ice season save for the first few weeks.
The lots on both sides of the road closure are almost always open on weekdays and usually fill up on weekends. If climbing on a weekend, plan to be there early, the Jeffersonville side has more spots but is also more popular.
* 0.9 (2.1), east side, The Workout Wall
* 1.0 (2.0), west side, Jefferson Slide, Notch North
* 1.2 (1.8), west side, ENT Gully
* 1.2 (1.8), west side, Quartz Crack Face Area
* 1.2 (1.8), west side, Easy Gully Area
1.2 (1.8), Stone Hut
1.3 (1.7), High Point in Road
* 1.3 (1.7), east side, The Playground
* 1.35 (1.65), west side, Hidden Gully
* 1.4 (1.6), east side, Elephant's Head Area, Ragna Rock Area
* 1.45 (1.35), west side, Blind Fate Area
* 1.5 (1.5), west side, Terror-Tory
* 1.9 (1.1), east side, Blue Room, South Wall
* 2.0 (1.0), east side, Upper South Wall, Bastard
* 2.1 (0.9), west side, Driving Force Area
* , east side, Spruce Peak Crags
GPS MAP WITH AREAS LABELED courtesy of Max Forbes:
Classic Climbing Routes at Smugglers Notch Ice climbing
Days w Precip