|GPS:||31.728, -6.35 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||167,038 total · 1,189/month|
|Shared By:||Forestvonsinkafinger on Jan 26, 2009 with 3 Suggestions|
|Admins:||Eric Bluemn, Angelique Brown|
Morocco has continued to change over the years, and it’s not the same place it was a decade ago. But tourism is always a large source of income for the people of Morocco, so be prepared for everyone to be happy to see you. Morocco is likely less affordable than you may think, but if you are good at dirtbagging you can get by well. There are ATMs and internet cafes in most larger towns, including Tinerhir.
Morocco is generally a safe and fun place to travel, but be aware that there are a number of scams out there, many a simple variation of bait and hook and most often targeted towards Euro-American tourists. People may be pushy, it is important to be firm in your intentions.
Bartering is the way business is conducted in Morocco, and it can be fun. With all bartering situations, know that your appearance and other factors may play a role in the amount the seller will attempt to fetch. Also, know that a handshake is considered an official deal. Be honest and consistent in your dealings and make sure to remain friendly to those you meet and shake their hand in greeting.
Morocco is a fun and generally safe place to visit, but with all traveling be aware of any valuables you're carrying and consider leaving them behind at a hotel or car if you don't need them on your person.
Areas to climb:
In Morocco, there are many climbing sites throughout the entire Rif and Atlas Mountains. Most routes are in "trad" or "adventure playground" and have no equipment in place. There are however some major sites for sports climbing with very well-equipped routes.
- The most notable is the "The gorges of Todgha" with over 500 routes now - half of them are multi-pitch. The area is being maintained and re-equipped by a local climbing company.
- Taghia is a beautiful altitude site with a lot of multi-pitch routes, but unfortunately the season is short and the conditions are mountainous.
- Chefchaouen is north in the Rif, and has milder temperatures and more top roping routes.
- Jebel Kest can be found south of Tafraoute and has beautiful Trad routes. The heat can be intense, though, so this is a winter only climbing area.
- Other areas include Amélago, Ben Sliman, and Amtoudi.
Classic Climbing Routes at Morocco
Days w Precip