Santaquin Canyon Ice Climbing
|GPS:||39.919, -111.752 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||14,170 total · 104/month|
|Shared By:||John Ross on Jun 11, 2009|
|Admins:||Andrew Gram, Nathan Fisher, Perin Blanchard, grk10vq|
Just far enough out of the way to not be too crowded, winter weekdays can make for lonely climbing. But on holidays and weekends when the ice is fat climbing parties are found on most popular lines. When there is a good layer of snow the sound of snowmobiles fills the canyon.
The ice season is usually best from mid-December to the end of February. Most of the ice routes are located on the south side of the canyon protected from the sun, and many routes can be spotted from the canyon road. Some ice formations may collapse during a mid-winter thaw and then reform later to climbable conditions.
Routes are most often found in potential avalanche gullies. Under the right conditions the avalanches can be enormous. Be sure to check the avalanche forecast before climbing.
- Take the Santaquin exit 244
- Exit the freeway and turn EAST
- Take the first RIGHT turn SOUTH onto Highland Drive.
- Go south for one (1) mile down Highland Drive until you come to a stop sign where you must either turn left or right. TURN LEFT.
- Drive into the canyon 3.8 miles to the Trumbolt Picnic Area (winter gate).
ATV use is illegal in Santaquin Canyon (fines up to $5,000). Snowmobiles are allowed if there is at least 12" of snow.
Classic Climbing Routes at Santaquin Canyon Ice
Days w Precip