Avg: 3.7 from 40 votes
|Type:||Trad, 7 pitches|
|FA:||P1,3-5 FA Fred Grafton, Jim Yoder P2,6-7 FA Derek Pearson, Michal Rynkiwicz, Chandler Davis, Ryan Hoover|
|Page Views:||6,913 total · 77/month|
|Shared By:||Ryan Hoover on May 10, 2013|
|Admins:||Scott Coldiron, Jon Nelson, Micah Klesick, Z Winters|
1) The novel coronavirus and Index residents.
Residents of Index are very concerned about visitors spreading the virus to them. Please be considerate by taking some serious precautions such as
- Be extra safe to greatly reduce the chance of needing a rescue. (Choose partner carefully, just TR routes. Triple-check setups...)
- Do not interact with the people in town or on a trail. (Choose an obscure crag & route. Drive carefully through town.)
- In case the above two precautions fail or you come across someone on a trail or crag, bring a facemask and gloves to wear to prevent spreading the virus from your breath or hands. In lieu of a facemask, a bandana or scarf over the nose and mouth can also reduce the spread of fine droplets from your nose and mouth when you speak. Also, try to keep the 6-foot recommended distance from other people.
2) 2020 Seasonal raptor closure: Our resident pair of Peregrines selected a nest site on the 6th pitch of Sabbra Cadabra this year, similar to 2016 and 2018 nesting seasons. Please do not climb in the area shown here until approximately July 15, 2020. This includes the upper pitches of Sabbra Cadabra, Black Radish, and Hell Bent for Glory.
Every spring, Washington State Parks, WDFW, Access Fund, and Washington Climbers Coalition partner to identify the nest site of Index's Peregrine falcons. Once identified, a spot closure is instituted around the selected nest site through approximately July 15th. Report potential raptor nesting activity to email@example.com. Big thanks to WDFW and the climbers who are assisting with the Index Volunteer Raptor Monitoring Program each year, and to Patagonia & Feathered Friends for additional support of the Newhalem and Index raptor programs!
P1: 5.6 Follow the left-trending crack.
P2: 5.10d Follow the corner to another ledge. Climb directly above the ledge pulling bouldery moves on bolts. Belay below the obvious corner in Hell Bent.
One could also climb the second pitch of Sabbra Cadabra to get to the Ledge (5.10).
P3: 5.10 Long, continuous left-facing dihedral. A stunner! Double rack from .75 to 3". A single .5 and #3 as well. The only gear you need after this pitch is a single rack to 2".
P4: 5.10 Straight up off the belay to two bolts. Right traverse to a dike.
P5: 5.10- Follow the beautiful leftward traversing dike.
P6: 5.10 Climb left out of the glory hole. Slightly cryptic climbing to start leads up good holds on steep white granite.
P7: 5.10 Climb easy terrain to a bolt. Follow the short corner to fun blocky overhung terrain to an out of this world exposed roof finish that sits over the whole wall! Very useful to extend the bolts to prevent rope drag.