Mountain Project Logo

New and Experienced climbers over 50 #22

Idaho Bob · · McCall, ID · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 757
Carl Schneider wrote:


We also had a lot of Canadian TV content in the 80s. That was cool. There was a cool show about tug boat drivers on lakes, one of them was a dirty grimy old fellow, can’t remember his name.
Monty Python never really connected with a lot of you guys, it’s very English humour, which is basically silly. 

Carl, did you watch Trailer Park Boys?  One of my favorites.  And I do like Monty Python.  And Mr. Bean.

S. Neoh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 35
Randy wrote:

Carl, Is this the right Forum for an argument? Monty Python was huge in the US, particularly after it started showing on PBS (and, of course, after The Holy Grail). Dave Evans and I put up a route in Josh in 1976 named after one of the episodes: Full Frontal Nudity.  

https://www.mountainproject.com/route/105721993/full-frontal-nudity

Yeah, Monty Python is popular hilarious stuff (at least for our gen).  John Cleese, what a comedian.  

Tim Schafstall · · Newark, DE · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 1,364

Happy Thanksgiving to all my US based "Over 50" friends.  Hope to meet more of you this coming year :)

Kristian Solem · · Hulett, WY · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 1,085
Tim Schafstall wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving to all my US based "Over 50" friends.  Hope to meet more of you this coming year :)

 

Kai Larson · · Sandy, UT · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 441
Old lady H wrote:

I don't even know how to stumble into music anymore, chagrined to admit. And, I somehow missed entire decades of music and movies everyone else knew. Dave was mostly classical music when I moved in, then New Age wandered in, then a long long stretch of no music at all.

Internet gives you access to all sorts of shit, but, you need to have some idea what that shit is. Then, that's what you'll get, and get, and get....

No serendipity anymore. I do miss that, it was a big plus when I worked at the library and saw books nonstop!

How do you stumble across Leon Redbone? Or Stephan Grappelli? Or the Peruvian music on that Nature series about condors? Or an opera you first heard on the Bugs Bunny/Road runner show? Or Duke Ellington? 

Bitd, the answer to an eclectic mix of music was the local public radio station, housed on the BSU campus, on the days when locals put together shows. There's still one old guy going, doing that now, but whatever is interesting, thrown together and somehow working, might as well be flintknapping it seems.

Although we got a guy here who does that, too.   

Best, H.

"I've got a brand new pair of roller skates...."

I stumbled on these guys.

Can't stop listening to them.  Everything they touch is gold.  




phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,152

Our Thanksgiving Day tradition is to do a long hike.  I picked this one out of our San Bernardino hiking guidebook and accidently discovered a new and virgin climbing and bouldering area about an hour from my house!

Actually, the last part ain't true.  Once we started seeing bolts I realized it was a known climbing area and found it on MP:

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/106152801/lake-arrowhead-pinnacles

Over 500 routes, might come back here to climb some day.

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,152

In honor of Todd, I felt compelled to do a boulder problem.  Here I am, triumphant, at the top of a -V13.  That's 13 grades easier than a V0, but pretty impressive given I was wearing sneakers. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Jay Goodwin · · OR-NV-CA-ID-WY · Joined May 2016 · Points: 15

Very nice Phyl. Some day I'll boulder as well as you!

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,152
Jay Goodwin wrote:

Very nice Phyl. Some day I'll boulder as well as you!

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before."  Edgar Allen Poe

;-)  Hope to see you soon, Jay!

S. Neoh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 35
Todd Berlier wrote:

much love and respect to all of you not going gentle into that good night!

Our DNA will not allow that!

Carl Schneider · · Mount Torrens, South Australia · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0
Randy wrote:

Carl, Is this the right Forum for an argument? Monty Python was huge in the US, particularly after it started showing on PBS (and, of course, after The Holy Grail). Dave Evans and I put up a route in Josh in 1976 named after one of the episodes: Full Frontal Nudity.  

https://www.mountainproject.com/route/105721993/full-frontal-nudity

Depends. Do you want a five minute argument or a course of ten?

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,152

We found this film amusing. Excellent building climbing action scenes!

S. Neoh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 35
Terry E · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 43
Old lady H wrote:

I don't even know how to stumble into music anymore, chagrined to admit.

This thread:

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/121953910/what-song-are-you-listening-to-right-now

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349
S. Neoh wrote:

Sad news - https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/123489324/ed-webster
Gone too young.

A stark reminder of our mortality. Ed Webster had more influence on my climbing then  anybody who I never met. His advice on training struck a nerve in me that gave me the motivation to actually get up off of my butt and train for climbing. His early alpine adventures fueled my imagination for adventures of my own. Up at 5am to go run 10k before a day of school or work, then a evening session of weight lifting in the garage made me a more powerful, successful climber. This new found fitness opened up a new world of possibilities for me and some close friends. I started to try things that I never imagined could be done. A two day crossing of the Sierra, Whitney to Sequoia. (something that took 7 days when I was younger) Followed by quick ascents of many Sierra Alpine climbs- Sun Ribbon Arete, Bear Creek Spire and many more. I don’t think stuff like this would have been on my radar without Ed’s writing about his own adventures and struggles. Most Climbers today know about the Car to Car style, but as most people on this thread know, it was unheard of in the early 70’s. Ed Webster changed the game for me.

Ward Smith · · Wendell MA · Joined Oct 2020 · Points: 26

I wrote this on another post, but didn’t give all the details.  We were sitting in our car smoking pot at the base of Cathedral Ledge, a car full of high school knuckleheads, when it started POURING.  Ed was THE MAN in North Conway, and was riding his bicycle when it started raining.   We invited him in to the car and he was  the most friendly and accepting guy ever. I won’t say if he smoked pot with us but he was a great template for a “famous” climber with unknowns, friendly and very self deprecating.  I have actually tried to model myself after his example.  Great guy, I have nothing bad to say about him. Sucks that he died. 

S. Neoh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 35

I never had the good fortune of getting to know Ed, but as of today it seems that we have *many* common friends and acquintances.  
I have always regarded him as one of those amazingly accomplished climbers who happened to hail from the Northeast. IN fact, just the next town over from where I call home now.
He had moved away from Lexington, MA by the time I knew of him.

Ed passed in his mid sixties.  I am less than five years younger.  Many of my good friends are older.  Very sobering news.  

oldfattradguuy kk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 172

Only met him once in passing, the day him and strapo put up reverse camber, also the 1st time I heard or saw drilling (1980) i stood there and watched sue get busted for going around the gate to the top of cathedral to pick them up.  I was in NH for school that year.  Funny thing was that later that year i looked out my window in henniker one snowey morning to see a car on the front lawn as sue was knocking on my door for help after skidding of the road I had no idea she lived there and worked at the ski hill her family owned.

he is also likely  indirectly responsible for me getting to indIan creek the next year after seeing, if I recall right, that famous early picture of super crack, for that I am grateful to have spent time there before the shitshow it became .

I echo what S. Noah said about age.

RIP, I hope he went in peace!

Carl Schneider · · Mount Torrens, South Australia · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Oi. Anyone on here have a teardrop camper? Currently I have a queen sized canvas swag (for cold months) and a three man tent (for summer) with assorted tables, plastic tubs, a fold up shelter thingy etc. I’ve been looking at YouTube videos of the Vistabule teardrop camper (there’s similar Aust versions from about 13k.  I don’t need aircon but wouldn’t mind a water heater/shower thingy.
Any recommendations? Thoughts on teardrop campers?

Nick Goldsmith · · NEK · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 510

Being an eastern climber and very familiar with Ed Webster routes and the going out west and also finding ed webster routes was certainly an influential part of my climbing career.  Rip Ed. 

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.