Mountain Project Logo

New and Experienced climbers over 50 #22

Jan Mc · · CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0

Finding good new music isn't that hard.  There are so many college stations and every one is available on-line now days.  But you have to listen to the not so good to get to the good.  You can also go onto any streaming service and ask for suggestions within certain criteria.  Just don't expect to find new stuff when you won't listen to anything from this century.  The best option if you really care, is to start hanging out on music and audio forums and both asking for suggestions but also listening to anything suggested.  It doesn't take too long to find a few people that recommend stuff that you like and then backtrack their posts for more suggestions, or just ask them.

While I love classic rock as much as the next person, I mostly listen to newer music these days.  Just not the pop drivel played on radio stations and given awards from MTV.  

Tim Schafstall · · Newark, DE · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 1,364
Russ Walling wrote:

One word about Woodstock:  Santana, Soul Sacrifice. If that drummer don’t blow your socks off yer dead inside.

Right around 2:30 for you boomers in a hurry…


https://youtu.be/gm-YTV48R6k



Quite the back story to that drummer.  I'll let y'all who don't know google it.

Lori Milas · · Joshua Tree, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 250
Russ Walling wrote:

One word about Woodstock:  Santana, Soul Sacrifice. If that drummer don’t blow your socks off yer dead inside.

Right around 2:30 for you boomers in a hurry…


https://youtu.be/gm-YTV48R6k



I just watched that a few nights ago, Russ, and I felt the same way.  He was a show stopper.  Santana stepped aside and just let him go.  Michael Shrieve ... here he is today.

John (Old Trad Guy) and I both have a thing for Ten Years After.  Watching Alvin Lee play lightening-fast, and sing I'm Goin' Home like only he could do... oh geez.  

Here's what I miss: we were able to sit still for a group like CSNY and totally enjoy a long serenade like Suite Judy Blue Eyes.  No one has that kind of patience today.  Donovan. Arlo. And in the next breath, Alvin Lee.  

jbak x · · tucson, az · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 5,059
Lori Milas wrote:

I just watched that a few nights ago, Russ, and I felt the same way.  He was a show stopper.  Santana stepped aside and just let him go.  Michael Shrieve ... here he is today.

John (Old Trad Guy) and I both have a thing for Ten Years After.  Watching Alvin Lee play lightening-fast, and sing I'm Goin' Home like only he could do... oh geez.  

Here's what I miss: we were able to sit still for a group like CSNY and totally enjoy a long serenade like Suite Judy Blue Eyes.  No one has that kind of patience today.  Donovan. Arlo. And in the next breath, Alvin Lee.  

And the Santana organist. How many hits of acid was he on ?? Alvin Lee... amphetamines galore ! An all-time definitive rock and roll performance. I named a route "Ten Years After" in his honor.

Jan Mc · · CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0

My favorite Ten Years After song is One of These Days.  I love the version on the Recorded Live album from Germany.

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, UT · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 22,969
Lori Milas wrote:

Michael Shrieve ... here he is today.

Second youngest to perform at Woodstock...  The youngest?

Gotta be "the monument" in the background?  Anyone ever seen her there?  I think she played in town...

Edit to add:  Intersection Rock behind her?

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349
Alan Rubin wrote:

"..but at least they were graceful, stylish falls". Hey, Guy---do you give pro falling lessons, I can use one?

Sure- I’m hosting a clinic out at a unnamed crag, steeply overhung so ya can practice. Hint- one key to finding extra style points is to have your own personal scream, screech or cuss. Use it at the proper moment and your golden.
Last Sunday I was using the “ah Fu$k!!” And I made sure to let go with only one hand so the natural torque forces would spin me around quickly. Nothing like spinning around while you take a big pendulum!

OLH…. To explore music go get yourself a Pandora account- I recommend the $5 account so no irritating adds- think of a song, punch it in and it will play- then another song will auto play- thumbs down if you don’t like it, thumbs up if you like. You build channels of music you like.

So I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.
I know I have a lot to be thankful for. 

Lori Milas · · Joshua Tree, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 250

Kristian Solem · · Hulett, WY · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 1,085
Brian in SLC wrote:

Second youngest to perform at Woodstock...  The youngest?

Gotta be "the monument" in the background?  Anyone ever seen her there?  I think she played in town...

Edit to add:  Intersection Rock behind her?

Yep. Overhang Bypass right over her shoulder...

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Russ Walling wrote:

https://youtu.be/gm-YTV48R6k



This brought back a cool memory for me. On August 19, 1994 I was backstage at the Santa Barbara County Bowl watching Santana's opening act (which I seem to recall was a Japanese salsa band!). This guy comes up to the side-stage barrier next to me and starts totally bopping to the opening band. He taps me on the arm and goes, "Wow, these guys are really great!"

I look to my right and that "guy" is Carlos Santana. Just having the best time. All smiles and joy. He tells me, "I'm so happy to be here today. It's the 25th anniversary of us playing Woodstock and I've been playing with some of these guys ever since then." We chat a bit and he finally says, "Hey, great talking to you, but I've got to go get ready for work. Have a great night."

Set List from that night.

Nick Goldsmith · · NEK · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 510

so this happened today. 

really nice woodshop and decent trailer... 

M M · · Maine · Joined Oct 2020 · Points: 3
Nick Goldsmith wrote:

so this happened today. 

really nice woodshop and decent trailer... 

That is quintessential NE living there bub! Ive always wanted to build a 360 degree porch around a single wide with a roof over the whole thing. Hows the barn?

Nick Goldsmith · · NEK · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 510

the barn is awesome with nice concrete  slab. 

ed esmond · · The Paris of VT... · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 0
Nick Goldsmith wrote:

the barn is awesome with nice concrete  slab. 

Sweet!  It doesn't get any better than that...  

ed "you're living the dream..." e

ps. drop me an email or sumthing...

S. Neoh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 35
Nick Goldsmith wrote:

so this happened today. 

really nice woodshop and decent trailer... 

Congrats, Nick.
Just in time for Thanksgiving and the holidays.  Enjoy it!

oldfattradguuy kk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 172
Nick Goldsmith wrote:

so this happened today. 

really nice woodshop and decent trailer... 

now all you need is a trailerbride

Trailerbride

RKM · · Alpine, Utah and Almo, ID · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 2,298
Todd Berlier wrote:


amazing musicianship. 

A little late on the comment, but I can’t stop watching Polyphia vids.  It is ‘amazing musicianship’ and the drummers timing is just unreal!

ps, nice woodshop Nick

Carl Schneider · · Mount Torrens, South Australia · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

I have a sore knuckle on my R middle finger, probs from pulling on a pockety problem at the gym. Weather is all fucked up too. Sitting in the sun (first we’ve had for ages) drinking 10% barrel aged cherry beer.
I was talking to someone about Yogi Bear the other day. He was cool. So was Kimba the White Lion. I reckon you guys up there (US) and me down here (AU) would have watched a lot of the same TV content.
We also had a lot of Canadian TV content in the 80s. That was cool. There was a cool show about tug boat drivers on lakes, one of them was a dirty grimy old fellow, can’t remember his name.
Monty Python never really connected with a lot of you guys, it’s very English humour, which is basically silly. 

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

I loved, still love, Monty Python!!! I guess there must be some ‘British genes’ in me somewhere ( pretty unlikely for someone of Eastern European Jewish heritage but…). I also enjoy the humor if some if the British climbing writers, particularly Tom Patey.

Randy · · Lassitude 33 · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 1,285

Carl, Is this the right Forum for an argument? Monty Python was huge in the US, particularly after it started showing on PBS (and, of course, after The Holy Grail). Dave Evans and I put up a route in Josh in 1976 named after one of the episodes: Full Frontal Nudity.  

https://www.mountainproject.com/route/105721993/full-frontal-nudity

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.