New and Experienced climbers over 50 #22
|
|
Carl Schneider wrote: Carl, did you watch Trailer Park Boys? One of my favorites. And I do like Monty Python. And Mr. Bean. |
|
|
Randy wrote: Yeah, Monty Python is popular hilarious stuff (at least for our gen). John Cleese, what a comedian. |
|
|
Happy Thanksgiving to all my US based "Over 50" friends. Hope to meet more of you this coming year :) |
|
|
Tim Schafstall wrote:
|
|
|
Old lady H wrote: I stumbled on these guys. Can't stop listening to them. Everything they touch is gold. |
|
|
Our Thanksgiving Day tradition is to do a long hike. I picked this one out of our San Bernardino hiking guidebook and accidently discovered a new and virgin climbing and bouldering area about an hour from my house! Actually, the last part ain't true. Once we started seeing bolts I realized it was a known climbing area and found it on MP: https://www.mountainproject.com/area/106152801/lake-arrowhead-pinnacles Over 500 routes, might come back here to climb some day. |
|
|
In honor of Todd, I felt compelled to do a boulder problem. Here I am, triumphant, at the top of a -V13. That's 13 grades easier than a V0, but pretty impressive given I was wearing sneakers. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! |
|
|
Very nice Phyl. Some day I'll boulder as well as you! |
|
|
Jay Goodwin wrote: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before." Edgar Allen Poe ;-) Hope to see you soon, Jay! |
|
|
Todd Berlier wrote: Our DNA will not allow that! |
|
|
Randy wrote: Depends. Do you want a five minute argument or a course of ten? |
|
|
|
|
|
Sad news - https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/123489324/ed-webster |
|
|
Old lady H wrote: This thread: https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/121953910/what-song-are-you-listening-to-right-now |
|
|
S. Neoh wrote: A stark reminder of our mortality. Ed Webster had more influence on my climbing then anybody who I never met. His advice on training struck a nerve in me that gave me the motivation to actually get up off of my butt and train for climbing. His early alpine adventures fueled my imagination for adventures of my own. Up at 5am to go run 10k before a day of school or work, then a evening session of weight lifting in the garage made me a more powerful, successful climber. This new found fitness opened up a new world of possibilities for me and some close friends. I started to try things that I never imagined could be done. A two day crossing of the Sierra, Whitney to Sequoia. (something that took 7 days when I was younger) Followed by quick ascents of many Sierra Alpine climbs- Sun Ribbon Arete, Bear Creek Spire and many more. I don’t think stuff like this would have been on my radar without Ed’s writing about his own adventures and struggles. Most Climbers today know about the Car to Car style, but as most people on this thread know, it was unheard of in the early 70’s. Ed Webster changed the game for me. |
|
|
I wrote this on another post, but didn’t give all the details. We were sitting in our car smoking pot at the base of Cathedral Ledge, a car full of high school knuckleheads, when it started POURING. Ed was THE MAN in North Conway, and was riding his bicycle when it started raining. We invited him in to the car and he was the most friendly and accepting guy ever. I won’t say if he smoked pot with us but he was a great template for a “famous” climber with unknowns, friendly and very self deprecating. I have actually tried to model myself after his example. Great guy, I have nothing bad to say about him. Sucks that he died. |
|
|
I never had the good fortune of getting to know Ed, but as of today it seems that we have *many* common friends and acquintances. |
|
|
Only met him once in passing, the day him and strapo put up reverse camber, also the 1st time I heard or saw drilling (1980) i stood there and watched sue get busted for going around the gate to the top of cathedral to pick them up. I was in NH for school that year. Funny thing was that later that year i looked out my window in henniker one snowey morning to see a car on the front lawn as sue was knocking on my door for help after skidding of the road I had no idea she lived there and worked at the ski hill her family owned. he is also likely indirectly responsible for me getting to indIan creek the next year after seeing, if I recall right, that famous early picture of super crack, for that I am grateful to have spent time there before the shitshow it became . I echo what S. Noah said about age. RIP, I hope he went in peace! |
|
|
Oi. Anyone on here have a teardrop camper? Currently I have a queen sized canvas swag (for cold months) and a three man tent (for summer) with assorted tables, plastic tubs, a fold up shelter thingy etc. I’ve been looking at YouTube videos of the Vistabule teardrop camper (there’s similar Aust versions from about 13k. I don’t need aircon but wouldn’t mind a water heater/shower thingy. |
|
|
Being an eastern climber and very familiar with Ed Webster routes and the going out west and also finding ed webster routes was certainly an influential part of my climbing career. Rip Ed. |









