Mountain Project Logo

Climbing Community in Crisis

Gerrit Verbeek · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

So... this is a text-based internet forum. I'm not going to learn how to crack climb or alpine climb from text. What are you going to say, "try to climb upward"? "Look for good placements for your gear"? Stuff like snow camping and cooking tips is pretty much the only information you can meaningfully transfer on a forum.

MountainProject is the exact right place to learn about the best brand of alpine toilet paper, and it's a really bad place to try to learn about how to climb a Yosemite big wall.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Nick Sweeney wrote: I think I'm going to take a nice, long break from MP Forums.  The amount of ego-obsessed drama on this forum nowadays is too much to handle.  Peace.

Announcing this is kind of ego driven.

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70
Tradiban wrote:

Announcing this is kind of ego driven.

Yeah we know he will be back in about 3 months. 

Brian 1 · · Oceanside · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

It was the best of shit shows, it was the worst of shit shows.

abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 54

I'm starting to think that JV has just perfected the 'angry troll'. How else would you bait the usual MPs usual trolls with their blase attitude?

At least, that's the way I'm interpreting it. We're all here because we're bored with nothing better to do, I find it hard to believe that people would actually take any of this seriously...

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

"Safety is subjective and everyone's definition will be different"

Then why does everyone think they know the best ways of doing things?

Russ Keane wrote: "Safety is subjective and everyone's definition will be different"

Then why does everyone think they know the best ways of doing things?

Very apropos, as I was thinking of this today. The climbing "community" has changed alot since I started climbing, we can argue for days as to why, but what I can tell you is that it took more effort to enter the "lifestyle" before than is does now, that's a fact. With that fact in mind I think it's easy to say that a different kind of person is now entering the sport, typically, and in general, this is the,  for lack of a better term, "weaker" kind. 

This weaker kind is approaching the sport from a more academic perspective because it is what they need to feel "safe" enough to participate, being more educated than previous climbers, this is what makes them feel comfortable. Thus, they have a tendency to really sort out, in their minds anyway, all the minutiae with climbing until they can settle on the one way of doing things that makes them feel the proverbial "safe".   

Of course, those of who can see the big picture can easily see that there are many ways to do things, many of which are fine, but the weaker kind just don't have the capacity to understand due to their academic conformity. In other words, the general population is taught to think in only one way and lacks the experience of thinking outside the box.
Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
abandon moderation wrote: I'm starting to think that JV has just perfected the 'angry troll'. How else would you bait the usual MPs usual trolls with their blase attitude?

At least, that's the way I'm interpreting it. We're all here because we're bored with nothing better to do, I find it hard to believe that people would actually take any of this seriously...

I’m here due to 4 broken rib in 6 places with a fractured scapula.

The trolls here are cute in that their pathetic looser ways help me feel better about my current gimpy situation. 
Once I heal up I’ll be back but only for the route database. 
Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 25
Chad Miller wrote:

....The trolls here are cute in that their pathetic looser ways....

Lol. From a guy who is literally giving us the finger in every post...

(Psst: it’s bad form to misspell “loser” when you mean it as an insult)

But seriously, heal up bro. Nobody wishes that injury on anybody. 
Mark Pilate wrote: Lol. From a guy who is literally giving us the finger in every post...

(Psst: it’s bad form to misspell “loser” when you mean it as an insult)

But seriously, heal up bro. Nobody wishes that injury on anybody. 

Reeling another one in …

Artful Dodger wrote: Maybe he means "looser"?

Got another …

Thanks. 

bus driver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 1,516

My state of the union is that I am on climbing forums more than I’m on rock.  My last climbing experience made me realize that it is starting to show in my climbing skills. Too much talking about what I have done and not enough actual doing. 

Chad Miller wrote:

Reeling another one in …

Haha.  You’re gonna need a bigger boat...

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262
J V wrote:

Your the one I get the least out of this gang. Some of your other posts would suggest you value safety but you seem to go with the flow when it suits your jokes. 

Share your knowledge with a Millennial, oh great and old school stone master from back in the days, do you agree with your friend Master Gumby that it’s a joke to check your knots and whether your tied in?  Is the 2 second check that hard?  It’s the first thing I learned, the horror.  Where’s the hurt in that or are you going to quote some BS alpine light and fast is right mantra?

I might not climb at Tahquitz as much as you but I know that northwest recess has seen a lot of deaths. Why do you poo poo on people who advocate for helmets?  Can you actually articulate why a light piece of equipment like that will hinder a climb?

I was being kind about the runout your friend did. Besides ego or lack of experience, can you make a good case for him putting in 2-3 pieces at most on a pitch that looks like it was easily protectable by cracks or trees?  Why did he lug all that gear up there and not use it? That’s like wearing a harness and not tying in. Bringing shoes and not wearing it.....oh wait, he did that too!  Was he trying to go fast because an avalanche could come down any minute?  LOL. 
Come on. Basically anything that doesn’t conform to your thinking is weak. The first pitch was well done but the guy who did the second and third is a hazard. Can we please just admit that your friend was reckless?  It could have been a lot safer with ZERO downside. 

Bro. I solo your projects at tahquitz. If it makes you feel better I only solo with a helmet on.

For everyone that has died at tahquitz, plz name one that a helmet would have saved?

Thanks for listening! 
master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262
J V wrote:

What is with your obsession with LA?  Seriously. You seem to have such a weird random hate for an entire city and its people. It’s a little troubling. 

Nothing alpine in California?  You’ve obviously never done Sierra peaks in the winter. Your ego can’t help itself huh?  Just like your buddy. Yes, I would go wee wee if I was on your fake alpine adventures. Let me guess, you were hypothermic in the tarp too?  Was it Rainer or Hood where the bivy in a blizzard happened?  LOL. 

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. All your posts are ridiculous. I’m not upset about Snow Creek at all. I’ll admit that I was wrong about that one. Unlike your snide remarks, along with some other hate mail I got for it, a few people were helpful. A member here, from LA by the way, sent me a PM and kindly educated me on the hazards and that it was probably out of my ability to ski. He was a gentleman about it unlike you who has to constantly stroke his ego. 

Have the last word macho man. Your all so old school tough and defy physics and anatomy.  

J V wrote:

Your the one I get the least out of this gang. Some of your other posts would suggest you value safety but you seem to go with the flow when it suits your jokes. 

Share your knowledge with a Millennial, oh great and old school stone master from back in the days, do you agree with your friend Master Gumby that it’s a joke to check your knots and whether your tied in?  Is the 2 second check that hard?  It’s the first thing I learned, the horror.  Where’s the hurt in that or are you going to quote some BS alpine light and fast is right mantra?

I might not climb at Tahquitz as much as you but I know that northwest recess has seen a lot of deaths. Why do you poo poo on people who advocate for helmets?  Can you actually articulate why a light piece of equipment like that will hinder a climb?

I was being kind about the runout your friend did. Besides ego or lack of experience, can you make a good case for him putting in 2-3 pieces at most on a pitch that looks like it was easily protectable by cracks or trees?  Why did he lug all that gear up there and not use it? That’s like wearing a harness and not tying in. Bringing shoes and not wearing it.....oh wait, he did that too!  Was he trying to go fast because an avalanche could come down any minute?  LOL. 
Come on. Basically anything that doesn’t conform to your thinking is weak. The first pitch was well done but the guy who did the second and third is a hazard. Can we please just admit that your friend was reckless?  It could have been a lot safer with ZERO downside. 

Are you stoned?!

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

I am. No helmet on either.

This thread needs a helmet.  Some posters have apparently taken a blow to the head....

Bob Ross · · Virginia · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0
Fun Police wrote: Why does MP (REI) tolerate this nonsense? 

This shit is what makes it worth it.

*pulls out popcorn*
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Climbing Community in Crisis"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.