Mountain Project Logo

Climbing Community in Crisis


Original Post
master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 227

With the recent influx of posts regarding hygiene, washing dishes, and rescues, I believe there needs to be further discussion.

Facts:
-If you are concerned with your hygiene, cleaning dishes, and controlling safety factors out of your control on alpine routes, you are not cut out for it. Stick to sport climbing, bouldering, etc.... There is a certain attitude required for these activities and if you are asking these questions, please stay at home to hopefully eliminate future rescues and continue to give climbing bad news publicity.

-There is nothing wrong with wanting to sport climb and boulder (i.e. fair weather climber), just own it and let all the ball tugging, chest pounding macho alpine climbers have their moment while they prove to themselves they are tough. It doesn't matter.

Safety is subjective and everyone's definition will be different. Please do your own research and test things out on your own to find out what your limits are, what you like, and don't like. Hopefully it will save us another rescue. On our current pace, climbing will be no different from hiking permits and increased regulation. No one wants that. Economics 101 will tell you how to avoid government regulation, and this is by self regulation.

brian burke · · santa monica, ca · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 145

sorry you got so riled up about people chit chatting about snow camping on the internet.

Tyler McClure · · Brookline, NH · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 300

I was just thinking, If MP operated as a democracy, who would be our "Elected Leaders".  
Oh wait this is a thread about gumbys by Master Gumby?? makes sense.
Oh well..
My vote is for Tradiban, although that might mirror our current political situation a bit too much.

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
master gumby wrote: With the recent influx of posts regarding hygiene, washing dishes, and rescues, I believe there needs to be further discussion.

Facts:
-If you are concerned with your hygiene, cleaning dishes, and controlling safety factors out of your control on alpine routes, you are not cut out for it. Stick to sport climbing, bouldering, etc.... There is a certain attitude required for these activities and if you are asking these questions, please stay at home to hopefully eliminate future rescues and continue to give climbing bad news publicity.

-There is nothing wrong with wanting to sport climb and boulder (i.e. fair weather climber), just own it and let all the ball tugging, chest pounding macho alpine climbers have their moment while they prove to themselves they are tough. It doesn't matter.

Safety is subjective and everyone's definition will be different. Please do your own research and test things out on your own to find out what your limits are, what you like, and don't like. Hopefully it will save us another rescue. On our current pace, climbing will be no different from hiking permits and increased regulation. No one wants that. Economics 101 will tell you how to avoid government regulation, and this is by self regulation.

You’re kind of a whiny little baby. 

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 227

I was hoping for more discussion around safety and preventing rescues and more climbing related accidents/deaths; however, I am good at good ole' fashioned poop throwing contests too. 

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60

WAH.  

Roots · · Redmond. OR · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

MG is actually spot on IMO. Some of the stuff that gets asked on here is so lame I wonder if it's an honest question or just someone trolling.

If noobs spent time reading forums, reading books and trying things outside to find what works for them or doesn't this site would be way more productive. -why you need to wash your hands is really for a class at the level of Outdoors 051.

Roots · · Redmond. OR · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20
J V wrote: You don’t speak for the climbing community or have any authority to tell people what to do. Your just a fake alpine climber and I doubt you have any understanding of economics. You are neither macho or have a brain. 

WTF.....are you in the 3rd grade?

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Or you could just tell them to post in the beginners forum?

I’m surprised no ones pissing and moaning about the heavy handed moderator twits these days. 

Abandoned User · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 6,720
Roots wrote:

WTF.....are you in the 3rd grade?

WTF are you another wannabe Mark Twight?

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365
J V wrote:

WTF are you another wannabe Mark Twight?

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 69
J V wrote: You don’t speak for the climbing community or have any authority to tell people what to do. Your just a fake alpine climber and I doubt you have any understanding of economics. You are neither macho or have a brain. 

*you're

Abandoned User · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 6,720

That’s a good one Dan. Actually made me laugh. At least you’re (thank you Curt) clever. 

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
grog m wrote: Gumbies would love it if MP planned out their trip itineraries, gave EXACT gear specs for climbs, told them where and how to camp, and generally spoon fed them climbing adventures. Its truly disgusting how morally and emotionally weak these people are with their complete lack of independence.

Have I mentioned you seem increasingly bitter? 

Was a Gumby on the route you wanted to climb today?
Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I'm currently climbing w 2 girls I just met at the crag. Their 3rd time top roping. They're out here cuz they saw Free Solo. Yolo

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,510
Tyler McClure wrote: I was just thinking, If MP operated as a democracy, who would be our "Elected Leaders".  
Oh wait this is a thread about gumbys by Master Gumby?? makes sense.
Oh well..
My vote is for Tradiban, although that might mirror our current political situation a bit too much.

Democracy?! I'm a dictator.

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
Tradiban wrote:

Democracy?! I'm a dictator.

You don’t have the dedication to be a dictator.   Maybe try for warlord. 

Ben Pellerin · · Spaceship Earth · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Master is right. The shit the sheeple ask on this site is trivial beyond humor. What pack should I buy? What car should I buy? Where should I move? What should I climb? People that need advice from an internet forum for shit like this are not people I want on the other end of my rope.

Both threads he is referencing had my face in my palm for an extra count.

I'm up on the side of a mountain learning rescue I could die in an avalanche but what I'm REALLY  concerned about is if I smell ok for my tent roommate.....

Similarly. I'm hiking a mountain camping for several nights and crossing dangerous terrain. But my main concern is icky stuff on my dishes cause I don't have any antimicrobial dawn to wash them with....

Germs and BO the real dangers of the mountains! 

Priorities am I right?

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 227
J V wrote:

WTF are you another wannabe Mark Twight?

Why are you so obsessed with Mark Twight?

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
master gumby wrote:

Why are you so obsessed with Mark Twight?

Why are you so obsessed with emulating him?

Abandoned User · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 6,720
master gumby wrote:

Why are you so obsessed with Mark Twight?

I'll take the bait.  In the short time I've been here, you've done nothing but rag on other people in almost all of your posts.  You seem to need to rant and cut other people down to make yourself feel better.  In the meantime you brag and make fake stories.  The one time I saw you out there, you and your partner were doing a lot of weird and dangerous things and showed your lack of experience.  Seems like one of your own partners spoke up in the rescue thread and pointed out several dangerous errors on your part.  You must have learned because I think I saw you with a helmet that one day in the northwest recess.  Hard to see since you were in the shadows under that roof. Your other partner RT obviously hasn't learned and is the real nut job.  Making knives, stalking people, not wearing or using his gear....  Why are you guys so angry?  Have you ever really done an alpine route?  Have you ever really done hard long routes like you claim?  Ever done a big wall in Yosemite?  Have you ever been to Everest to knock all those climbers?  Ever really epic?  You just seem like a character out of fiction novel.


Your trying to define what is and isn't okay for people to ask around here and shit on anyone who isn't "alpine" enough for you.  Your group of friends gang up on anyone who speaks up against you.  When the gates open to the east side of Yosemite I'm taking some gym rats up there for some climbs and I'll bet it'll be longer than anything you've ever done.  Your inhospitable and against everything we were taught, to be welcoming and open in the climbing community.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Climbing Community in Crisis"

Log In to Reply