Mountain Project Logo

Cleaning small nuts

Original Post
J-Moe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 20

I placed a little green DMM (#2 wallnut?) yesterday that my partner couldn't clean. He said the crack was too thin to accept his nut tool, so he yanked upwards causing it to pop upwards, rotate a bit, and get real stuck. I didn't rap back down to look at it, but the party following said it was good and fixed.

Does anyone have any tricks for getting the little ones out?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

A Water Pik? If a nut tool won't fit in there, I'd like to hear some other methods, too.

Oh and if you have mad cleaning skillz and want the booty it's on P3 of Perversion. Have fun :)

Patrik · · Third rock from Sun · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 30
J-Moe wrote:

I placed a little green DMM (#2 wallnut?) yesterday that my partner couldn't clean. He said the crack was too thin to accept his nut tool, so he yanked upwards causing it to pop upwards, rotate a bit, and get real stuck. I didn't rap back down to look at it, but the party following said it was good and fixed.

Not all nut tools have the same thickness. You could get a thinner one or just file the tip thinner on the one you have. 

cragmantoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 175

Take a shower?

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50

1. Moist 'em with a little of warm water.

2. Apply a bit of shampoo and foam it.

3. Rinse it off with a little of warm water.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
J-Moe wrote:

Absolutely deserved to lose it, pulling up on it like that.  Sorry to be harsh, but noob mistake, and there's a price to be paid.  nb. Metolius and DMM nuts are especially prone to stickage when one does this. That "longitudinal groove" that makes these nuts so awesome in marginal placements means they don't suffer fools, as it were.

Gunkiemike wrote:

Absolutely deserved to lose it, pulling up on it like that

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the upwards tug method, but I didn't have a good, straightforward explanation of an alternate technique. I was hoping a crusty old tradster might have a trick or two, other than calling me a noob-fool who deserved what I got. And I placed, not cleaned it so I think this harshness is a bit misdirected.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
J-Moe wrote:

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the upwards tug method, but I didn't have a good, straightforward explanation of an alternate technique. I was hoping a crusty old tradster might have a trick or two, other than calling me a noob-fool who deserved what I got. And I placed, not cleaned it so I think this harshness is a bit misdirected.

It's simple: reverse the movement that was used to place the nut. Usually that means keeping the cable pointing downwards (NO UPWARDS YANK!), move it up (nut tool!) and then out.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

put away your tiny nuts! no one is wanting to see them, let alone "clean" them! Myahahah!

Adam bloc · · San Golderino, Calirado · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 2,185

For stuck cams or nuts I’ve resorted to feeding my thin nut tool cord or alpine draw Dyneema behind the piece to get a new angle of pull. That usually reverses whatever bullshit got it stuck

Wiled Horse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669

Crack too small for a nut tool? Your partner is a nut tool

JohnnyG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 10
Aleks Zebastian wrote:

climbing friend,

put away your tiny nuts! no one is wanting to see them, let alone "clean" them! Myahahah!

quote of the year

Fredrik Ehne · · Stockholm, Sweden · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Yanking it upwards is usually the second step for me, if pushing up on the wire doesn't work. Do you guys go straight to the nut tool or what am I missing?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Fredrik Ehne wrote:

Yanking it upwards is usually the second step for me, if pushing up on the wire doesn't work. Do you guys go straight to the nut tool or what am I missing?

A light, upward flip will usually remove it. The key word is "light," otherwise, it may get more stuck.  If the upward flip doesn't work, I push up on the cable (or try that first). If that doesn't work, it's nut tool-time.

Drew Spaulding · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 3,885

The trick I had to use yesterday on a thin nut was something that I had never used before. I had to push the wire up through the nut. Then, with a very thin nut tool, hook the loop of The Wire and pull it out of the crack. Then, I put a biner on both ends of the wire and it pulled right out. It had been rocking on the 2 inner lobes...

Mark LaPierre · · spencer, MA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 70
Pavel Burov wrote:

1. Moist 'em with a little of warm water.

2. Apply a bit of shampoo and foam it.

3. Rinse it off with a little of warm water.

I think you need to repeat if you follow the direction on the shampoo bottle 

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50
Mark LaPierre wrote:

I think you need to repeat if you follow the direction on the shampoo bottle 

A programmer has died washing his head. An almost empty shampoo bottle has been discovered at the scene. The shampoo instruction says: wash, rinse, repeat.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Drew Spaulding wrote:

The trick I had to use yesterday on a thin nut was something that I had never used before. I had to push the wire up through the nut. Then, with a very thin nut tool, hook the loop of The Wire and pull it out of the crack. Then, I put a biner on both ends of the wire and it pulled right out. It had been rocking on the 2 inner lobes...

Lobes?

Mark LaPierre · · spencer, MA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 70
Pavel Burov wrote:

A programmer has died washing his head. An almost empty shampoo bottle has been discovered at the scene. The shampoo instruction says: wash, rinse, repeat.

Caught in an infinite loop, poor bastard

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Cleaning small nuts"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started