Mountain Project Logo

Traveling to Atlanta GA this weekend 06MAY16

Original Post
Oneill Santiago · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

Hello everyone!

Im traveling to Atlanta GA with my wife this weekend and we are looking for places to climb. We have all the sport climbing equipment. This will be our first time visiting Atlanta and I wanted to ask you guys which places do you recommend and also how safe are these places. We are looking for anything between 5.9 to 5.12. All help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Chuck Parks · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 2,190

There are no sport climbing areas in Georgia, but there are a few really good ones within about 2 hours from Atlanta by car.

Foster Falls is probably your best bet. It is easy to get around, very pretty, and has many climbs in the range you specified. The main downside is it will also be the most crowded place. If you want to get away from the crowds, Castle Rock is nearby in Tennessee. It is a much smaller area, but is typically far less populated. Deep Creek is a really nice area and has fantastic climbing, but mainly in the top end of your range.

Sand Rock in Alabama also has a good variety of climbs 5.9 - 5.12. The quality is generally not as good as what you'll find in Tennessee, it can get crowded, and it's a little bit harder to find your way around the place the first time. But there are some really nice climbs there.

Little River Canyon in Alabama is also great, but it isn't documented on this site and would be difficult to find your way around without the right guidebook or someone who has been there before.

Oneill Santiago · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

Thanks so much for the info, I really appreciate it. My wife and I ended up going to Stone Summit and we had a great time. Didnt get to spent a lot of time exploring Atlanta but now I know there isnt much sport climbing over there, so our next trip would be Tennesee. Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply. Blessings

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Traveling to Atlanta GA this weekend 06MAY16"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started