Mountain Project Logo

Orange Trash

Original Post
Sherri Lewis · · Sequim, WA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 316

We picked up these orange peels (and more) which were strewn for several meters on the climbers' trail to Cat in the Hat/Cookie Monster this afternoon.  Please pack out your own garbage next time.  

Steve Williams · · The state of confusion · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 235

Good on you, Sherri!!!!

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215

What’s the big deal, that’s biodegradable (eventually)

brian n · · Manchester, WA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 87

Here we go... its the banana peel argument all over again.

Josh C · · Somewhere out West · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,116
Fehim Hasecic wrote: What’s the big deal, that’s biodegradable (eventually)

Once upon a time, a father climbed to the top of a mountain with his son in tow, he wanted the wise man to keep it on the downlow, that his son says "what's the big deal? Orange peels, they're biodegradable."  The wise man just shook his head before he took a breath and said. "Yes they are and orange peels form a mighty big lump because you just made the backcountry look like a compost dump." 

Sherri Lewis · · Sequim, WA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 316

According to the AAC (I noticed the membership icon showing up on your MP profile), "Since its founding in 1902, the American Alpine Club has been a force in helping safeguard our country’s wild landscapes and natural treasures. Working alongside our members and partners, we focus on critical issues facing climbers and outdoor recreation nationally, such as keeping public lands pristine..."

Poop is biodegradeable, too.  Doesn't mean it's cool to leave it in the middle of the trail.  
M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

It's so easy to bury and\or carry. 

George Bracksieck · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 3,393

Orange peels take years to degrade. 

Matthew Tangeman · · SW Colorado · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,098

if it doesn't grow there, it doesn't go there.

Magpie79 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0
Hobo Greg wrote:

No reason to bury it. If you carried it in unpeeled, WHEN IT WAS HEAVIER, why can’t you carry the peel out, WHEN IT IS NOW LIGHTER THAN WHEN YOU CARRIED IT IN??

Peel it at home. Then there is nothing to bring out (except the ziplock bag, which doesn't biodegrade, by the way.) plus, no sticky fingers.

Hobo Greg wrote:

No reason to bury it. If you carried it in unpeeled, WHEN IT WAS HEAVIER, why can’t you carry the peel out, WHEN IT IS NOW LIGHTER THAN WHEN YOU CARRIED IT IN??

LNT applies if there is no trace. Of all the huge carbon footprints most of us leave daily all over this planet in the name of climbing it seems that a banana peel deep in the talus field or in a hole is doing more good for the earth than saving it for a landfill.

Magpie79 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0
Hobo Greg wrote:

Are we reusing the plastic baggie? If not, the lower impact method would be to peel in the field, and just pocket the peel. Makes your clothes smell like oranges, which unless in grizzly country, ain’t a bad thing.

We are reusing the bag, at least until it gets holes.  I want to minimize what goes to the landfill as much as possible. 

DayMartin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 0

Who doesn’t eat the orange peel too?
WTF

DayMartin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 0

Good karma Sherri - hope RR is being kind to your shoulder.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
. Mobes wrote:

LNT applies if there is no trace. Of all the huge carbon footprints most of us leave daily all over this planet in the name of climbing it seems that a banana peel deep in the talus field or in a hole is doing more good for the earth than saving it for a landfill.

This makes no sense. 

And we’re talking about an orange peel, so if you want to participate in the discussion please get your fruit straight. 
mediocre wrote:

This makes no sense. 

And we’re talking about an orange peel, so if you want to participate in the discussion please get your fruit straight. 

I one time gave a squirrel my apple core. 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Matt Wenger · · Bozeman · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 3,979

Kind of related: Don't throw your peels out the window of your cars either. It attracts rodents, which attracts birds of prey, which then get hit by cars while hunting said rodents. 

Pierre de St Croix · · CT · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 0

I've heard orange peels can be used to help things that are dry become moist again too!
Leave No Trace (except the chalked holds for me so I know which way to go all the time and don't have to think for myself)

Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370
Josh Cameron  Peter Mather of the NPS knew this 100 years ago and it still holds true today

I think you mean Stephan Mather?   Either way I agree with you.  Tossing orange peels is lazy asf.  Carry on.  

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Mick wrote: The “Leave No Trace” ethic is, of course, the ideal to strive for but every climber who purports to adhere to it while justifying their use of chalk is a holier-than-thou hypocrite.

Chalk stained rock is a MASSIVE “trace”....especially on sandstone. 

Bolts, hangers and other fixed gear are also “traces” but nowhere near as obvious and unsightly as chalk stains. 
Roads, parking lots, hiking trails, footprints and even some vegetation loss are unavoidable impacts.
Using chalk is a choice. 

Unavoidable how?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Orange Trash"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started