Throwing my banana...

Original Post
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,175

I was once accosted for throwing a banana peel in the bushes. Do you pack out your banana peels??????

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530
Tradiban wrote:

I was once accosted for throwing a banana peel in the bushes. Do you pack out your banana peels??????

Absolutely. I pack out everything. 

Will Maness · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Yes, I do.  I follow the Leave No Trace (LNT)  principle as strictly as possible.  While banana peels may be considered "biodegradable,"  they likely aren't native to the area in which you were climbing and are probably not suitable for local animals to eat.  Introducing anything foreign into an ecosystem can only be benign at best.  It is impossible to know the domino effect you might set off.  And finally, it just looks bad.  I have never accosted anyone about tossing an apple core or banana peel, but I do cringe when I see it.

Mason Stone · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I don't bring bananas on excursions, they turn black due to temperature or get squished by gear, usually I bring apples or oranges. If it is biodegradable I don't see a problem unless it messes with the ecosystem.

No one should accost you for tossing your peel in the bushes, not their business. This brings up a climbing assumption, when do we make contact with other climbers? Generally speaking, I do when being friendly, lost or when I want to help out, safety issue, loan gear etc. When out climbing I have had people help me out when I am unsure. And, I have had them borrow my book, toilet paper, extra rope to recover theirs and I have taught someone how to tie in, after their partner assumed they were good, the person was seconding a multi pitch.

How you affect the field is up to you, its both a moral and ethical question. Are you a good/bad person for tossing your peel? Will tossing your peel affect/not affect others?

Good question.

Mason

Keatan · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 20
Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 549

Leaving banana peels, pistachio shells, etc is undesirable for the reasons mentioned above. 

They are non-native, and even if biodegradable, will take time before decaying, forcing others to climb amidst your trash until that happens.

A big pile of steaming poop is also biodegradable, but pretty universally regarded as unacceptable.

My approach, if I see someone littering, is to politely ask if they plan on picking up whatever it is, orange peel, cigarette butt, whatever. 

If they say no, I just do it myself and carry on.

It's not my job to tell others how to behave, but it is my responsibility to make the crags a better place.

I've gotten so much out of climbing. As have most of you reading this.

Time to pay back.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

A lot of things are biodegradable, it doesn't mean you just throw it in the bushes. 

Eric L · · Roseville, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 105

Whether biodegradable or not, it’s still not very appealing to see. (Edit for the non punny folks... a peel-ing)

Mediocre and Eric,

Agreed, consider my question though. And I like this from Mark:

"It's not my job to tell others how to behave, but it is my responsibility to make the crags a better place."

That's what I mean by moral and ethical.

I also pack other people's trash out, this is indirect instruction for people I climb with or near, doesn't take more than a few seconds and very little effort. And, I try to instruct directly, as mentioned above, when lives are at stake.

Joe Prescott · · Fort Collins · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 20

If it doesn't grow here, it doesn't go here.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Mason Stone wrote:

Mediocre and Eric,

Agreed, consider my question though. And I like this from Mark:

"It's not my job to tell others how to behave, but it is my responsibility to make the crags a better place."

That's what I mean by moral and ethical.

I also pack other people's trash out, this is indirect instruction for people I climb with or near, doesn't take more than a few seconds and very little effort. And, I try to instruct directly, as mentioned above, when lives are at stake.

Whats your question? When do we contact other climbers or Are you a good/bad person for tossing your peel? Will tossing your peel affect/not affect others?

When do we contact other climbers?- I think you laid out a pretty good scenario or 2. 

Are you a good/bad person for tossing your peel? Will tossing your peel affect/not affect others?- I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that you're a bad person, but I feel like thiis orange peel/banana peel question is really common sense and that I learned not to do this in junior high. Biodegradable time is going to be affected by the environment where you are. A peel is going to degrade at different rates if you're climbing at Index, an alpine route at 8000 feet or cragging at Indian Creek.Seeing these peels does affect me because it's litter. And now I've got to deal with someone elses junk that I feel was most commonly left there because they thought it would biodegrade. 

I agree with the indirect instruction and making the crag a better place. I pick up litter that I see, as long as it doesn't look like something that has bodily fluid on it, because typically I'm not equipped to handle that when I'm out climbing. 

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
Tradiban wrote:

Yes. 

Hey Mediocre,

Thanks for the reply and for clarifying, I have seen this question come up a lot on these forums, though tied to other arguments: "This brings up a climbing assumption, when do we make contact with other climbers?" I would add, and for what reasons are acceptable/not acceptable to the community?

Mason

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 85

Leave no trace. Pack out everything. Approach others nicely about it and explain the reasoning behind packing out everything. We all need to be educators to those who might be new to the outdoors and not understand the LNT ethic yet. Just be courteous. 

Luke Bertelsen · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Feb 2005 · Points: 2,801

Define accosted in the banana peel throwing incident.  I want to imagine a brawl, but maybe it was just a stern talking to?

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 85

I did this once: https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/110714066/confronting-litterers-at-rumney

I was probably less polite than I could have been. I don't really remember exactly.

And, I agree our footprint matters. But, I appreciate when people have instructed me kindly. I took accosted to mean it was not very nice. I am a live and let live sort of person. I like this: "Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk" I try to use it much as I can. Peels and pistachios don't bother me so much though I don't leave them behind, personal preference. 

I agree with Cesar in being willing to say something, and would add just be polite, we can smile when we ask someone to pack out their peel, paper or poop.

Troyswank · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

What about tossing apple cores in an orchard?

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 10
Troyswank wrote:

What about tossing apple cores in an orchard?

I'll allow it.

Stanley McKnight · · Paradise Valley, Arizona · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 268

I either pack them out or bury them off trail somewhere 

AaronP · · colorado springs co · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 45

Do people pack out pee?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply