Mountain Project Logo

Orange Trash

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,724

I was simultaneously dismayed and excited to find that this wasn't a thread about the President.

Pierre de St. Croix · · Southbury, CT · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 0

I've heard orange peels can be used to help things that are dry become moist again too!
Leave No Trace (except the chalked holds for me so I know which way to go all the time and don't have to think for myself)

Josh Cameron · · M.O.A.B. · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,120
Mick wrote: The “Leave No Trace” ethic is, of course, the ideal to strive for but every climber who purports to adhere to it while justifying their use of chalk is a holier-than-thou hypocrite.

Chalk stained rock is a MASSIVE “trace”....especially on sandstone. 

Bolts, hangers and other fixed gear are also “traces” but nowhere near as obvious and unsightly as chalk stains. 
Roads, parking lots, hiking trails, footprints and even some vegetation loss are unavoidable impacts.
Using chalk is a choice. 

Yeah, let's just dig a hole in the ground and bury ourselves in it because that'll save the environment. If we really want to save the environment then we'll get our asses out in it and enjoy it; then we'll go back home and support our favorite environmental cause. Peter Mather of the NPS knew this 100 years ago and it still holds true today. Let's just hope that people will take their trash with them. If they don't, at least they are actually out in it, and not being fat and lazy on the couch.

Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370
Josh Cameron  Peter Mather of the NPS knew this 100 years ago and it still holds true today

I think you mean Stephan Mather?   Either way I agree with you.  Tossing orange peels is lazy asf.  Carry on.  

Josh Cameron · · M.O.A.B. · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,120

Oh yeah- I did mean Stephen Mather. I think I was thinking of Peter Matthiessen when I typed that. 

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,084
Mick wrote: The “Leave No Trace” ethic is, of course, the ideal to strive for but every climber who purports to adhere to it while justifying their use of chalk is a holier-than-thou hypocrite.

Chalk stained rock is a MASSIVE “trace”....especially on sandstone. 

Bolts, hangers and other fixed gear are also “traces” but nowhere near as obvious and unsightly as chalk stains. 
Roads, parking lots, hiking trails, footprints and even some vegetation loss are unavoidable impacts.
Using chalk is a choice. 

Unavoidable how?

Mick wrote:

Can’t get there without roads. Can’t leave your vehicle without parking lots. Can’t hike without creating trails (either deliberately or via regular foot traffic). Can’t walk in dirt without leaving footprints. Can’t have trails without some vegetation loss. 

Every bit of that is avoidable.

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 196
Mick wrote:

Can’t get there without roads. Can’t leave your vehicle without parking lots. Can’t hike without creating trails (either deliberately or via regular foot traffic). Can’t walk in dirt without leaving footprints. Can’t have trails without some vegetation loss. 

These are all tools to minimize impact. Trails, for example, are a way to control erosion. Instead of many ways to a destination, there's one, and that one can then be maintained more easily and efficiently, saving say: a hillside from eroding away. 

Footprint thing - well: the saying is, "take only pictures, leave only footprints", so footprints get a pass, eh?   
Matt Wilson · · Vermont, USA · Joined May 2010 · Points: 175

Just eat the peel like a man.

. Mobes · · MDI · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 865
Matt Wilson wrote: Just eat the peel like a man.

That's what Barrit does before ripping shit up on his dirt bike!

Mick wrote:

Sure....if you can fly. 

Or do you mean humans just shouldn’t be in the wilderness?

I mean, you can't really choose to damage the environment in the interest of your entertainment. Then proclaim chalk as horrible and the only "avoidable" item in the pursuit. If you're going to climb don't be a hypocrite. Use the roads and parking lots, clip the bolts and use chalk. Chalk is lower impact than anything else on the list. 

Mobes wrote:

That's what Barrit does before ripping shit up on his dirt bike!

It was unavoidable...... ;)
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Orange Trash"