Mountain Project Logo

Free Solo my Ass

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 808
Pnelson wrote:

You're one of those people who brags about not having a TV, aren't you?

Who brags about not having a TV? 

K Weber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 15
F loyd wrote: Why did so many climbers watch the movie? Just curious to know. I didn't watch it because it didn't seem interesting to me. 

Climbing and El Cap is Awesome!!!!!

I will watch anything about El Cap.  Even the 12 min rappel vid on YouTube.

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

I just tell people Free Solo sucks and the only climbing film worth anything is Vertical Limit.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

With all due respect, your family are hopeless morons if that's the conclusion they reached from watching Free Solo. The distinction couldn't have been made more clear between what Alex does and what the rest of the climbing world considers reasonable and safe. 

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40
Señor Arroz wrote: With all due respect, your family are hopeless morons if that's the conclusion they reached from watching Free Solo. The distinction couldn't have been made more clear between what Alex does and what the rest of the climbing world considers reasonable and safe. 

Don't confuse idiocy and just not caring about our ridiculous sport.

Dave Meyer · · Santa Barbara · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 270

We should all start a class action lawsuit against Honnold because every time I'm asked "you one of them free climbers?" an ulcer develops. F@$k you Honnold, you ruined climbing by bringing it to the mainstream ;)

Paul Morrison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 55
Marc801 C wrote:

I don't understand. How can anyone who calls themselves a climber not be interested in one of the most audacious climbing accomplishments filmed with stunning cinematography?

Easily. Media consumption ≠ training. If it doesn't help me, it's merely entertainment, and I've got other things I'd rather do with my time.

Robert S · · Driftwood, TX · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 654
Marc801 C wrote:

I don't understand. How can anyone who calls themselves a climber not be interested in one of the most audacious climbing accomplishments filmed with stunning cinematography?

Fair question, and I'll try to give a thorough answer.

I got into climbing as an extension of my love for the mountains. At the time, I couldn't have named any famous climbers other than Hillary, Norgay, and Mallory. And I still can name only relatively few because I really am not interested in what famous climbers are doing. While I do admire their accomplishments, following them doesn't appeal to me.

The climbing films I enjoy most are Meru and Touching the Void because they involve adventures in remote places, something that really does appeal to me. I also really liked Dirtbag, as Beckey is the famous climber I admire most simply because he boldly put his ass on the line over and over to climb up into the unknown.

I'm not hating on Free Solo; I'm just saying going to see it didn't much interest me. And though I did enjoy it, I doubt I'll watch it again.
Sean Post · · Golden, CO · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 31

And here I thought that this thread was going to be about going up people's asses without protection.

Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 635
Paul Morrison wrote:

Easily. Media consumption ≠ training. If it doesn't help me, it's merely entertainment, and I've got other things I'd rather do with my time, like post on mountainproject.

Y'all should start a thread so you can spend pages and pages talking about how you're not into Free Solo.

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 808
Pnelson wrote:

Y'all should start a thread so you can spend pages and pages talking about how you're not into Free Solo.

It would be better than post after post of how great it is, and what his girlfriend should do, how your family thinks you can climb without a rope.. I'm not against the movie, but the more slob knobbing I read makes me want to see it a little less.

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110

Maybe you should get your belay test failing certified guide to give you some advice. 

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718

Your family sounds like a bunch of dumb dumbs. Took about 4 seconds to explain the difference between free climbing and free soloing to some my friends. Have them watch dawn wall which explains rock climbing with pretty diagrams and cool fonts. 

Woodson · · Park City, Ut. · Joined May 2009 · Points: 180
Cole Metzger wrote: Literally my entire family has been raving about Free Solo.  But what’s worse is now they all think I climb 60 feet without a rope so when I fall I die.  Not saying it wasn’t amazing, but it has misled so many people.  It’s like they think all climbers do this, and poor Alex is constantly trying to explain that he almost always climbs on ropes.

It’s pretty much ruined climbing.  Nobody understands that he is doing and niche within a niche within a niche.  Ugh.

I wonder how many times this thread can be regurgitated. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/116569851/alex-honnold-ruined-climbing

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/116587601/free-solo

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/116550880/why-did-free-solo-get-an-oscar-nomination-and-dawn-wall-did-not

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/115407449/free-solo-movie

Ashort · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 56

But what grade is your ass? I can only free solo up to 5.4

Ron O · · middle of nowhere, southern… · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

How big is the difference?

A friend from junior high called me to ask about FS.
He seemed more impressed that I spent 11 days soloing El Cap (???).

The film won't help with non-climbers thinking "free" means ropeless.

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 619
Luke Bertelsen wrote: Just what we ALL needed was another Free Solo thread.  Thank you.

Guys, have you seen this movie called FREE SOLO?

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

If he was soloing why were there all those OTHER PEOPLE there?

Chris Hill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 0
Robert S wrote: I find it annoying that non-climbers often ask if I've seen Free Solo, but it doesn't exactly ruin my day, much less climbing.

And when they ask if I do that, too, I usually shrug and say "Sometimes." Let them think my 5.2 scramble to set a TR anchor is an epic on a wall in Yosemite...

I was asked at work if I ever free solo.  I adopted the hard-man 1000 yard stare and said "I used to, not anymore". Sounded bad-ass.  Neglected to mention I topped out at 5.9, perfect hand crack.

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

What is the average air speed velocity of a unladen Swallow?

Coconuts my ass.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Free Solo my Ass"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.