Mountain Project Logo

Free Solo my Ass

Original Post
Cole Metzger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

Literally my entire family has been raving about Free Solo.  But what’s worse is now they all think I climb 60 feet without a rope so when I fall I die.  Not saying it wasn’t amazing, but it has misled so many people.  It’s like they think all climbers do this, and poor Alex is constantly trying to explain that he almost always climbs on ropes.

It’s pretty much ruined climbing.  Nobody understands that he is doing and niche within a niche within a niche.  Ugh.

Brad Johnson · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Awesome movie, Awesome accomplishment, Awesome climber, nothing to complain about.

T A · · Denver · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 10

You climb with a rope??

Brock Jones · · Provo, UT · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 25

Tell them to watch Dawn Wall. It's a better movie, it's on Netflix, and they're roped up.

EJN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 198

"You used a rope? You did not fly? Did you not find the experience, how you say, banal?"

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Maybe your family should watch the movie again.
There are plenty of times when it is explained that climbing without a rope is a niche within a niche within a niche

zoso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 495

I'm just happy something this insignificant to climbing as a whole has ruined it for you.

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,186

People seem to conflate “free climbing” with “free soloing”. What can you do? 

TommyB · · Lunenburg, MA · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 5

Ropes are aid

Matt Clay · · Estill County, KY · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1,051

0/10?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Cole Metzger wrote: Literally my entire family has been raving about Free Solo.  But what’s worse is now they all think I climb 60 feet without a rope so when I fall I die.  Not saying it wasn’t amazing, but it has misled so many people.  It’s like they think all climbers do this, and poor Alex is constantly trying to explain that he almost always climbs on ropes.

It’s pretty much ruined climbing.  Nobody understands that he is doing and niche within a niche within a niche.  Ugh.

How? Sounds more like your family ruined it for you.

Luke Bertelsen · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Feb 2005 · Points: 3,917

Just what we ALL needed was another Free Solo thread.  Thank you.

Jaren Watson · · Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 2,409

Damn you, Cole! There's a scandalously huge gulf of meaning between "Free Solo my ass" and "Free Solo, my ass." With this crowd, you best mind your commas, lest ye be courtin' an unwanted buggering.

England · · ? · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 270
Jaren Watson wrote: Damn you, Cole! There's a scandalously huge gulf of meaning between "Free Solo my ass" and "Free Solo, my ass." With this crowd, you best mind your commas, lest ye be courtin' an unwanted buggering.

I know I though we were going to be talking about crack climbing....to easy?

David Kerkeslager · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 138
Cole Metzger wrote: Literally my entire family has been raving about Free Solo.  But what’s worse is now they all think I climb 60 feet without a rope so when I fall I die.  Not saying it wasn’t amazing, but it has misled so many people.  It’s like they think all climbers do this, and poor Alex is constantly trying to explain that he almost always climbs on ropes.

It’s pretty much ruined climbing.  Nobody understands that he is doing and niche within a niche within a niche.  Ugh.

Climbing is the same as it ever was. Maybe it has ruined talking about climbing, but who cares? Is that why you climb? So you can talk about it?

Robert S · · Driftwood, TX · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 229

I find it annoying that non-climbers often ask if I've seen Free Solo, but it doesn't exactly ruin my day, much less climbing.

And when they ask if I do that, too, I usually shrug and say "Sometimes." Let them think my 5.2 scramble to set a TR anchor is an epic on a wall in Yosemite...

F loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 361

Why did so many climbers watch the movie? Just curious to know. I didn't watch it because it didn't seem interesting to me. 

Baldy Skier · · City of Angels · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0
F loyd wrote: Why did so many climbers watch the movie? Just curious to know. I didn't watch it because it didn't seem interesting to me. 

Same reason we watch any other movie?  For entertainment 
Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 436
F loyd wrote: Why did so many climbers watch the movie? Just curious to know. I didn't watch it because it didn't seem interesting to me. 

You're one of those people who brags about not having a TV, aren't you?

David Kerkeslager · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 138
Robert S wrote: And when they ask if I do that, too, I usually shrug and say "Sometimes." Let them think my 5.2 scramble to set a TR anchor is an epic on a wall in Yosemite...

Whenever I warm up on a V0 without bothering to put a boulder pad down, I feel just like Alex Honnold.

caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,450

Come on. Millennials ruined climbing, like they ruin everything else. Alex is a boss. Get with the program. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Free Solo my Ass"