Mountain Project Logo

Fact: The Prana Zion Stretch pants aren't that great.

abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 54

So I finally got a few days to thrash those Wrangler Flex pants on some sandstone. They seem less durable than the Zions. The first offwidth pitch I climbed I put a hole in the left knee, the second one a hole in the right knee.

They're thinner than the Prana Zions so it's not too surprising, though I thought they might hold up better than that on sandstone. After about 5 climbing days (mostly not offwidth) they had a number of holes in the knees.

The holes form similar to the Prana Zions though; they don't really rip, the thread just kind of comes apart leaving a smallish hole that's fairly easy to patch. A small bit of Gorilla tape on the inside and you're almost as good as new...

Not sure if I'll buy another pair though. The Zions cost 2-3 times as much, but I think last 2-3 times longer.

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

Carhartts. Nothing better.

Santa Claus · · San Diego · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

The most durable are cordura nylon or similar. PVC would be really hot and sweaty. Are any pants made from Cordura?

climber pat · · Las Cruces NM · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 286
Santa Claus wrote: The most durable are cordura nylon or similar. PVC would be really hot and sweaty. Are any pants made from Cordura?

I think there are several.  I have had 2 pair of these https://www.sportiva.com/solution-pant.html each of which lasted  2-3 years of really hard use.  Unfortunately the colors currently  available are so hideous I am looking for something else.   These are a bit warm as the cloth is reasonably thick; like jeans.  

I recently bought a pair of eddie bauer 1st ascent guide pro pants which really fit good, has nice stretch, felt nice but unfortunately got holes the first 3 times I took them climbing.  They are definitely not durable enough for hard use.  Also the stitch is a bit poor at about 4 stitches/inch for the thigh pockets.   
Nathan · · Tel Aviv · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 107
John Wilder wrote: I’ve been climbing in the Zions for almost a decade and I still have my first pair- zero holes and probably 1000 pitches on ‘em. Ymmv, I guess.

Same story here, my zioneers are 6 years in going strong.

The red pant looks ok. yellow is for traffic safety, Fire/rescue or visibility on mountains. Only missing the reflective when lit up stripes.
“The Solution Pant is equally suited for day in, day out climbing or the Saturday night pub-crawl” ha ha ha!

Check these out, yea gawdz!

Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415

patience + eBay
Zions work great for me and I don't think I've ever paid over $40 for a pair. Scored some new ones for less than $20 last week

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

Update: I've been using the Wrangler Straight Fit 5 Pocket Pant from Walmart. They are plenty stretchy for unrestricted movement. The price is right. I've mostly used them for bouldering and gym climbing as it's winter, but so far they have held up well. They definitely seem more durable than the Zion pant. I bought a second pair. 

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 808

Still wear mine at least a few times a week and most times climbing.

Justin Gardner · · Zavalla, TX · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 85
C Archibolt wrote: I've had at least 6-7 pairs over the years. Yes, they are very lightweight. Yes, the fabric is nice and stretchy for easy movement. Yes, the zipper pocket, on the men's version, fits a phone or Cliff bar really well. However, after years of loyal support and endorsement of these pants, I've come to see the truth: Prana Zion Stretch pants really aren't that great.

First of all, the fit is baggy, loose, and dumb-looking.

More importantly, the fabric is softer than a Red Rocks trade route. I've completely blown out the knees and butt on a pair of Zion Stretch pants in as little as six months. My wife sews them back together, but the patches just rip off. The fabric isn't hearty enough to hold a stitch. Maybe if I was one of those pansy gym climbers, dead set on "ruining climbing," these pants would last me a few years. But as an all-around rock climber, I need something more durable. I don't want to spend $85 every year, and I definitely don't want to send a pair of pants to the landfill every year.

When I search the forums for "climbing pants recommendations," I see page after page of people raving about the Prana Zion Stretch pants. I get it. I used to be like you. However, I suspect that many of us think the Zion Stretch pant is great only because we don't know any better. There has to be a better pair of pants for rock climbers.

What do you got MP? Give me your recommendations. I want something durable but also breathable and non-restrictive. 

They do make a slim fit pair. Only ones i wear bow. Girlfriend came home with a regular pair once, and I took them right back for a slim fitting pair. But your right, they are not the best and for the price, i fee they should be a bit more dirable in the knees. 

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Santa Claus wrote: Check these out, yea gawdz!

These pant's inspiration?

C Archibolt wrote: Update: I've been using the Wrangler Straight Fit 5 Pocket Pant from Walmart. They are plenty stretchy for unrestricted movement. The price is right. I've mostly used them for bouldering and gym climbing as it's winter, but so far they have held up well. They definitely seem more durable than the Zion pant. I bought a second pair. 

Update to my update: I bought that second pair of Walmart pants in February, and the knee is already blown out. I've decided that "It's not you; it's me." Ask any of my partners: I use the "alpine knee" often. It's like my signature move. I've even thrown some double alpine knees when I'm really cruxin. 

I think I have three options:

1. Improve my footwork 
2. Only climb in double-knee Carhartts
3. Accept that I will burn through 2-3 pants a year

I choose option 3, and therefore I'm going to continue buying Walmart pants because they are 1/4 the cost of Prana pants and they last me just as long. 
David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

My latest pairs of Prana Zions are disappointing. My first pair was amazing, and is still in good shape (but too big for me now--have lost a lot of weight since I started climbing). But I've gotten three more pairs since then and they've all god holes. If they were in the knees I would not care--not at all. But they're in the groin area, and while I think my boxers are nice, I don't feel the need to show everyone. Whatever changes they've made to the fabric or cut have made it so they don't tolerate Gunks high-step mantles.

David K wrote: My latest pairs of Prana Zions are disappointing. My first pair was amazing, and is still in good shape (but too big for me now--have lost a lot of weight since I started climbing). But I've gotten three more pairs since then and they've all god holes. If they were in the knees I would not care--not at all. But they're in the groin area, and while I think my boxers are nice, I don't feel the need to show everyone. Whatever changes they've made to the fabric or cut have made it so they don't tolerate Gunks high-step mantles.

When I hear "high step," I think "alpine knee." 

EDIT: Yes, I am sponsored by Walmart.  ;) 
David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
C Archibolt wrote: 

When I hear "high step," I think "alpine knee." 

EDIT: Yes, I am sponsored by Walmart.  ;) 

Haha! Yeah, that works sometimes, but:

1. A lot of stuff I'm on these days has high steps onto little tiny indents or crimps that wouldn't support a knee. Examples: Mitty Mouse (step up into an indent that's barely more than a smear), Classic (2-3 high step smedges), Junior (the crux for me is trying to stab my right toe into a waist-height slot before I lose my grip on the awful left thumb catch or lose my balance).
  2. I wouldn't climb in pants if I cared about the knees of the pants, but I care about my actual knees! I don't mind bleeding for the send, but I don't choose it if there are other options.
Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
C Archibolt wrote:

Update to my update: I bought that second pair of Walmart pants in February, and the knee is already blown out. I've decided that "It's not you; it's me." Ask any of my partners: I use the "alpine knee" often. It's like my signature move. I've even thrown some double alpine knees when I'm really cruxin. 

I think I have three options:

1. Improve my footwork
2. Only climb in double-knee Carhartts
3. Accept that I will burn through 2-3 pants a year

I choose option 3, and therefore I'm going to continue buying Walmart pants because they are 1/4 the cost of Prana pants and they last me just as long. 

When I was a boy and all the cool kids were wearing Levis, my mother made me wear Toughskins from Sears. Not only that, she pre-emptively ironed patches into the knee area to prevent holes. I'm sure that saved her some money but it also made me walk like the Tin Man before he got oiled.

I'm never happier than when I'm tearing holes in some pant knees as an adult.

Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, ES · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Whatever happened to white painter's pants? Anyone still climb in them? Along with the requisite rugby shirt and bandana (or Henry Barber hat), of course...

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Daniel Joder wrote: Whatever happened to white painter's pants? Anyone still climb in them? Along with the requisite rugby shirt and bandana (or Henry Barber hat), of course...

...and the red or green swami belt of 3" webbing

England · · Colorado Springs · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 270
Matt Clay wrote: Why wear pants at all?

OW nuff said.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "Fact: The Prana Zion Stretch pants aren't that…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started