Mountain Project Logo

Fact: The Prana Zion Stretch pants aren't that great.

Original Post
Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

I've had at least 6-7 pairs over the years. Yes, they are very lightweight. Yes, the fabric is nice and stretchy for easy movement. Yes, the zipper pocket, on the men's version, fits a phone or Cliff bar really well. However, after years of loyal support and endorsement of these pants, I've come to see the truth: Prana Zion Stretch pants really aren't that great.

First of all, the fit is baggy, loose, and dumb-looking.

More importantly, the fabric is softer than a Red Rocks trade route. I've completely blown out the knees and butt on a pair of Zion Stretch pants in as little as six months. My wife sews them back together, but the patches just rip off. The fabric isn't hearty enough to hold a stitch. Maybe if I was one of those pansy gym climbers, dead set on "ruining climbing," these pants would last me a few years. But as an all-around rock climber, I need something more durable. I don't want to spend $85 every year, and I definitely don't want to send a pair of pants to the landfill every year.

When I search the forums for "climbing pants recommendations," I see page after page of people raving about the Prana Zion Stretch pants. I get it. I used to be like you. However, I suspect that many of us think the Zion Stretch pant is great only because we don't know any better. There has to be a better pair of pants for rock climbers.

What do you got MP? Give me your recommendations. I want something durable but also breathable and non-restrictive. 

Chase G · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 169

Eddie Bauer Horizon guide pants

https://www.eddiebauer.com/product/mens-horizon-guide-chino-pants---slim-fit/10307991?showProducts=&color=225&sizetype=&size=

Slimmer fit than stretch zions. Same material so same durability concerns but there are sales regulary, for instance I think they have 50% off going right now so $35 for them. They have the guide pro and guide pro lined pants if you want more pockets or insulation.

greggrylls · · Salt Lake City · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 276
John Wilder wrote: I’ve been climbing in the Zions for almost a decade and I still have my first pair- zero holes and probably 1000 pitches on ‘em. Ymmv, I guess.

Wow I wonder if they've changed the fabric.  I've got one pair that both knees blew out on beyond repair.  My other pair I got a hole in the third day out.  Granted I had probably 80 days on the first pair. 

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 808

That sucks... I have had the same green pair I wear nearly daily and climb/hike/range/etc. in for the past few years (my GF stopped asking me to wear different pants a while ago). They have held up in alpine, swamp, desert. No other pair of pants has held up more than two days climbing without having some sort of hole, especially Mountain Hardware.
The "belt" area sucks when your on a hanging belay for a while, but the pants have more than lived up to my expectations.

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262

I like the wrangler 4 way stretch cargo pants. the cut fits my legs well and they go on sale for like 15 bucks sometimes, although at 25$ at full price they are still sorta cheap. I climb OW in them and they have held up for 5 months so far.

I agree the Zion's are trash and so over priced its not even funny. I have found that climbing in not climbing brand pants has been the way to go for me. For example, when I first started I bought some expensive (>35$) BD pants that were supposedly the "toughest" climbing pants... shredded in 3 months at woodson. I bought a pair of the stretchy deluth pants and am still rocking them over a year later.

greggrylls wrote:

Wow I wonder if they've changed the fabric.  I've got one pair that both knees blew out on beyond repair.  My other pair I got a hole in the third day out.  Granted I had probably 80 days on the first pair. 

I think this is it, I bought a pair of the Khaki ones last year and they feel way different. 

Derek Strittmatter · · AUSTIN · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 20

Wrangler "Outdoor Comfort Flex Cargo Pant" $22 at walmart.  I like the fit better and they're more durable than the patagonia equivalent of the Prana zions.  Maybe not as breathable, but you can't beat the price...

climber pat · · Las Cruces NM · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 286

I am looking for a good pair of climbing pants too.  I had been wearing La Sportiva solution pants and liked them fairly well.  Unfortunately they are no longer made.  I bought a pair of OR Ferrosi  pant from positive remarks in another thread.  I think they are really bad.  The material might be nice in the summer but it is very thin and already has pulled threads after 2 wearings.  Also the cut looks like is was made for a girl, my wife won't let me wear them in public (and yes I checked mine are for men).  I bought a pair of Eddie Bauer guide pants mentioned above and they seem much better than the OR pants.  I am hoping they work out.

Somebody please make a good pair of climbing pants for a reasonable amount of money!!

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262
Derek Strittmatter wrote: Wrangler "Outdoor Comfort Flex Cargo Pant" $22 at walmart.  I like the fit better and they're more durable than the patagonia equivalent of the Prana zions.  Maybe not as breathable, but you can't beat the price...

YESSIRRRRRRR

John Wilder wrote: I’ve been climbing in the Zions for almost a decade and I still have my first pair- zero holes and probably 1000 pitches on ‘em. Ymmv, I guess.

Maybe my technique just sucks, but even my “new” pair has the start of holes. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Same (except for the 1000 pitches, unfortunately :( ).

Adam Fleming · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; SLC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 451
C Archibolt wrote: I've had at least 6-7 pairs over the years. Yes, they are very lightweight. Yes, the fabric is nice and stretchy for easy movement. Yes, the zipper pocket, on the men's version, fits a phone or Cliff bar really well. However, after years of loyal support and endorsement of these pants, I've come to see the truth: Prana Zion Stretch pants really aren't that great.

First of all, the fit is baggy, loose, and dumb-looking.

More importantly, the fabric is softer than a Red Rocks trade route. I've completely blown out the knees and butt on a pair of Zion Stretch pants in as little as six months. My wife sews them back together, but the patches just rip off. The fabric isn't hearty enough to hold a stitch. Maybe if I was one of those pansy gym climbers, dead set on "ruining climbing," these pants would last me a few years. But as an all-around rock climber, I need something more durable. I don't want to spend $85 every year, and I definitely don't want to send a pair of pants to the landfill every year.

When I search the forums for "climbing pants recommendations," I see page after page of people raving about the Prana Zion Stretch pants. I get it. I used to be like you. However, I suspect that many of us think the Zion Stretch pant is great only because we don't know any better. There has to be a better pair of pants for rock climbers.

What do you got MP? Give me your recommendations. I want something durable but also breathable and non-restrictive. 

They recently came out with a slimmer cut and apparently are transitioning all their models to be slimmer.  That doesn't address your concern about durability.  I personally have three pairs.  One has a huge rip in the knee, the other two are holding up well.  I don't climb much off-width, but I do climb a lot of chimneys.  I mostly climb on sandstone with a little granite thrown in.

kalockwood · · SLC, UT · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 342

I have a few pairs of the Zions and they've lasted better than any other pant. I recommend them every time. I just ground up some offwidth in Zion this past weekend and they held up great. A couple pairs might have a few small holes, but the holes stay the same size.

They also make the "Stretch Zion Straight" as a slim fit if you don't like how baggy they are (which isn't a lot).

If you climb offwidth on a regular basis, then nothing will last that long, but jeans seem to be the most durable.

Pete Spri · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 347

Useful thread!

David Burridge · · Simi Valley · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

Sorry to hear the fabric isn't holding up since I just bought a pair of the Brion Pant which is the same fabric in a slimmer cut (still a little baggy in the lower leg though).

I was happy when I found these because they looked similar to the discontinued and very much missed Patagonia Rhythm pants, which I believe Ron Kauk helped design. They had the styling of a pair of jeans but with technical fabric similar to the Stretch Zion Fabric Prana is using. Although it must have been different as I never had any durability issue with them. The fabric finally wore so thin on the butt from years of use that I had to retire them out of respect for my belayers.

I actually think the Prana Brion pant would be about perfect for me if the legs were a little more tapered and the fabric was slightly thicker, more durable. But then that would make them less desirable on a hot day.

Note:
Prana makes 5 styles of pant with Stretch Zion Fabric.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

I'm a stretch Zion fan and recently saw the "slim" version in a store. I like that, too. If you want pants that you can ass-scoot in all day and not wear through then try some of the Kuhl pants. They're really thick and tough. Free Ryder model is really good. 

Matt Clay · · PNW · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1,032

Why wear pants at all?

MClay wrote: Why wear pants at all?

I agree. Pants are aid. Butt I feel bad for my partners when I go pantsless. 

Brian Allen · · Palm Desert · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 93

My Zion's barely lasted one Joshua Tree season, maybe 30-40 days?  Rough rock / bad technique might apply.  I switched back to Kuhl pants.  I had a pair of them prior to the Zions that lasted a few years.  This time I purchased the 'Silencr Rogue Pant', about 10 days in and so far so good.

MClay wrote: Why wear pants at all?

So I don't grab the wrong rope ;)

Grandpa Dave · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5
C Archibolt wrote:

Carhartts? Kuhl?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "Fact: The Prana Zion Stretch pants aren't that…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started