Mountain Project Logo

Privately Owned Crags With Public Access

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

I wasn’t insinuating any that any ill intentions were had by the OP. Like I said I was just curious what he had in mind for the information gathered or if it was just a post out of curiously. 

Edit: And as a former Missourian I appreciate the development in that neck of the woods, visits back to the Midwest are more enjoyable as a result.

Ryan Surface · · Kansas City · Joined May 2014 · Points: 438
Tapawingo Markey wrote:

I gathered that much. I’m just genuinely curious why you need/want the information and what you’re intending to do with it.

Markey,

I wanted to gather this data for my own personal research, my plan is to make a map showing the distribution of privately owned crags with express public access. I do GIS, I'll post the map up here eventually.

-thanks Will

Mike Byrnes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

As long as the Red River Gorge has been brought up, the Motherlode and Chocolate Factory both have a private owner who openly allows access without charge. That being said, there is a waiver on this website here needs to be filled out:

https://www.motherlode-llc.com

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981

So, you DON'T me to post about my secret crag where I get to climb there because I have a handshake agreement with Farmer Robert?

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

Torrent falls isn't really open to the public anymore. I'll also add that I would no longer include Muir Valley, since the Webers gifted the land it is now owned by an LCO rather than a "private" landowner. 

Jared Casper · · Scotts Valley, CA · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 10

There's a small privately owned park in the SF Bay Area/Peninsula called Handley Rock: https://www.mountainproject.com/area/107301619/handley-rock-park

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75
Ryan Surface wrote:

Markey,

I wanted to gather this data for my own personal research, my plan is to make a map showing the distribution of privately owned crags with express public access. I do GIS, I'll post the map up here eventually.

-thanks Will

Sounds like a fun project. I work in natural resource management so I’m into that sort of thing. Look forward to the end product. 

Max Supertramp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 95

John, I respect you.  And yet, at least on the grander (anti-grand?) scale, the AF don't really know dick about the private propertar potential.  

WOW I'm disappointed in the MP experience. One of my posts was deleted by the mods, it was hardly even PG-13.

Furthermore I'm limited to the number of times I can reply to MY OWN thread?

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
Ryan Surface wrote:

WOW I'm disappointed in the MP experience. One of my posts was deleted by the mods, it was hardly even PG-13.

Furthermore I'm limited to the number of times I can reply to MY OWN thread?

Well, MP is in the midst of some moderation changes aimed at cracking down on trolls, so the moderation had been stepped up a notch, and there are new limits on posts in a certain amount of time. If a comment was deleted, it's likely that someone flagged it as offensive. (There's only one admin with the ability to delete posts, and flagging is the recommended way to bring a post to his attention.)

These are fresh changes, less than a week old, and Nick stated that there may be an adjustment period as they zero in on the right post limits, etc.

rafael wrote:

the crag I am thinking of is open to anyone who goes, theres no handshake, the owner just doesnt want any liability. Unless the people who own the crags being listed expressly agree to their property being posted online like this it should absolutely not be on. 

Rafael, my previous post in response to your comment was deleted because it must have been too risque for the pajama party here on MP. 

You crag sounds like it certainly has access issues and I would hope that you do not post it in this thread, or anywhere else.  

The last sentence in your quote is pretty dumb, especially after I specifically told you I was looking for crags that are "open for business"

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Andrew Krajnik wrote:

Well, MP is in the midst of some moderation changes aimed at cracking down on trolls, so the moderation had been stepped up a notch, and there are new limits on posts in a certain amount of time. If a comment was deleted, it's likely that someone flagged it as offensive. (There's only one admin with the ability to delete posts, and flagging is the recommended way to bring a post to his attention.)

These are fresh changes, less than a week old, and Nick stated that there may be an adjustment period as they zero in on the right post limits, etc.

Limits have been around for a long time, nothing new here.

Bruce Morris · · Soulsbyville, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 3,794

Handley Rock, Redwood City, California.

Sauratown NC I believe is open most of the year now when the camp isn't running.

I think they have Hound Ears in NC open most of the year now? I think they were working on it getting open can't remember if it ever got opened for more than the comp or not.

Austin Goff · · Winston-Salem, NC · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 118
ViperScale . wrote:

Sauratown NC I believe is open most of the year now when the camp isn't running.

I think they have Hound Ears in NC open most of the year now? I think they were working on it getting open can't remember if it ever got opened for more than the comp or not.

S-town is only open Dec-March. 

Hound Ears is open for the comp and if you are a resident. Outside of that, not open at all.. 

Cole T · · Cincinnati, OH · Joined May 2012 · Points: 496

The Motherload and the chocolate factory in the RRG is now owned by the coalition. It is no longer privately owned

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Along with LRC, there's also Leda and Lower Leda which are owned by the same rich asshole. It's really dumb because the act of charging money exposes the land owner to liability that he or she would otherwise be protected from if people weren't paying him to climb. 

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
eli poss wrote:

Along with LRC, there's also Leda and Lower Leda which are owned by the same rich asshole. It's really dumb because the act of charging money exposes the land owner to liability that he or she would otherwise be protected from if people weren't paying him to climb. 

That person could read this and close it for good.

Austin Goff wrote:

S-town is only open Dec-March. 

Hound Ears is open for the comp and if you are a resident. Outside of that, not open at all.. 

They were in the works to get it open more of the year but maybe it failed I have not heard much about it in a while.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
ViperScale . wrote:

Limits have been around for a long time, nothing new here.

Per Nick Wilder in the "ladies crag" thread:

Nick Wilder wrote:

We have discussed the Women's Only thread quite a bit internally and decided not to do it for now.  I'm going to try to maintain a better level on all forums, and I'm afraid a Women's Only forum will be a target that could significantly increase the shitty posts instead of vice versa.

Also, I have made the following changes related to the forums (and photos) in general:

1. Photos can now be flagged, just like comments or forum posts.  The link is below the photo, next to the ID number.  I get these notifications like the others and will deal with them.
  2. Photos can be set as "Not Safe For Work".  When set as such, that photo will not appear on the home page, will be demoted to the bottom of the list of photos on route/area pages, and future comments will be disabled (these photos attract poor comments).  To maintain a consistent standard (as in the forum), I'm the only one that can set this.  If you see a photo you think is NSFW, use the flag tool.
  3. I will more aggressively move political and non-climbing topics to the "Community" forum.  
  4. Topics in the Community forum will no longer appear on the home page nor the "Latest Posts" page.  That will cause them to die out fairly quickly, but allow people to keep discussing it.
  5. I've added the topic title and forum name to the reply form, which might help people stay on topic.
  6. A person can now only reply to a given topic 5 times in the last 5 hours.  This should decrease the shouting matches and topic takeover that happens occasionally.  There also remains a limit to replies in all topics (20 per 18 hours, less for new users).
  7. A given topic will automatically lock after 1000 replies.  The horse will be beaten enough by then.  The topic can be re-started in a new thread, but all the subscribers to the old one will be lost, which is the point.
  8. If you reply to a topic that has had no activity for over 60 days, you will have to confirm that you want to resurrect a dead thread.

Some of the specific rules might change a bit (maybe 5 replies to the same topic in 5 hours isn't enough for example).  We have a few more forum-related ideas on the back burner, but they are more difficult to implement, so we'll see how these work first.

Emphasis mine. Nick is being more aggressive in his moderation of potentially offensive posts. There's always been a daily post limit, but it sounds like the "5 posts in 5 hours" limit is new, and may change based on how well it works.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Privately Owned Crags With Public Access"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started