Mountain Project Logo

What is the best place to eat near your favorite climbing area?

Original Post
Lotte Meijer · · Amsterdam · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 151

I'm creating a cook book for climbers.
(As usual with any climbing related projects: For fun, not for money)

but I thought it wouldn't be complete without recommendations for where to eat out for the days you don't feel like cooking.

I know the best place to eat in Italy's Finale Ligure - a tiny osteria with the best three course dinners you've ever eaten.
- The place to get pizza in the Verdon (with the crazy Spanish guy at the bend in the road)
- The New Paltz Bakery for the Gunks,
- Or the free hot chocolate in front of the womens' bathroom at the Ahwahnee in Yosemite.

But what do you think are the best (perhaps hidden?) places to eat?
I'd love to know!

Jplotz · · Cashmere, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,315
  • El Agave, Oakdale, CA. 
nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525

Miguel's Pizza in the Red River Gorge

Pie for the People outside Joshua Tree

Sorry, I like pizza

Christopher FItzgerald · · Lexington, KY · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

El Patron for the Obed

Cathedral Cafe for NRG

:) Pizza is good!
I was actually thinking about naming the EU page "pasta & pizza's" and the US side "burgers and tortillas" but I guess I'd be wrong there.

If there's a backstory to the recommendations, or the best ever dish at.. I'd be interested as well!

Carson Darling · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 85

Tilt'n Diner for Rumney

(to be fair, it's about 30 minutes away, but it's a can't-miss stop on the way home)

jmmlol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

El Pasito (now El Durangito) outside Hueco. I swear I get gringo pricing every time I go though.

Kirtis Courkamp · · Golden · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 378

Milts Stop and Eat .....    MOAB / IC / Towers 

Ryan Maitland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 10

Edgardo's margarita trailer in El Potrero Chico...not quite food but it should count since it's an institution down there.

Faceburger in Hidalgo just outside the Potrero is also pretty high on the list for me. Basically a family making epic (bigger than your face) burgers from their home, serving you in their living room.

@Ryan.. I missed the Margarita trailer when I was there in Feb 2014. When is it usually there?

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270
Carson Darling wrote:

Tilt'n Diner for Rumney

(to be fair, it's about 30 minutes away, but it's a can't-miss stop on the way home)

Tilton House of Pizza is also awesome!

Derek Strittmatter · · AUSTIN · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 20
Ryan Maitland wrote:

Edgardo's margarita trailer in El Potrero Chico...not quite food but it should count since it's an institution down there.

Faceburger in Hidalgo just outside the Potrero is also pretty high on the list for me. Basically a family making epic (bigger than your face) burgers from their home, serving you in their living room.

+1 for both of these!  Faceburger is also knows as Christina's by the locals.

I'll add Coopers BBQ for Enchanted Rock State Park.  Its in Llano, about 20 min away from the park, but on your way back to Austin.

Andrew Vinzant · · Kansas City, MO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 1,449

I know many will agree. The breakfast burritos at the gas station on the way into Eldo!

Ryan Maitland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 10
Lotte wrote:

@Ryan.. I missed the Margarita trailer when I was there in Feb 2014. When is it usually there?

He's generally there most days, opens at 4:20pm daily during the season.

Although I think his trailer was once owned by someone else (Homero?) who served pizza if my memory serves. It may have been over by Homero's when you were there in 2014.

Another add to the list is "the dome" - not the proper name, but the building has a large dome in front - which is on the main highway outside of Hidalgo. Carne asada by the kilo with awesome queso fundido and is a great spot to bring larger groups since there is a ton of room/seating inside.

Travis Haussener · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 60

Breakfast burrito at the Lee Vining Exxon right before Tioga Pass.

Keatan · · AZ · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 50

KT's Hayloft Saloon in Lolo, Montana. 

David Mehr · · Bend, OR · Joined May 2011 · Points: 70

Now this is a thread I can get behind. I'll contribute Fry Bread Tacos (or fry bread with desert toppings, or both!) at the ten sleep brewery on Friday nights. 

BrianWS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 790

Cathedral at the New River Gorge sucks. Slow slow service and overpriced. 

Eat with locals instead of out of state yuppies and hit the Hico Exxon on the intersection of route 19 and 60 for good homemade country fare.

Zachary Winters · · Winthrop, WA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 420

Mag's 99, Squamish

Cassa Lou · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

In Bishop California everyone is crazy for Burger Barn and Schat's Bakery but in my opinion the real MVP is Petite Pantry. AWESOME and copious amounts of Mexican food, each day has two all you can eat options and Jay or his wife will wrap your leftovers up as a burrito for the next day!

Chase Webb · · Fayetteville, AR · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 1,183

Meers Restaurant for the Wichita Mountains in SW Oklahoma. CJ's, Blue Mountain Bakery and Ozark Café for NW Arkansas.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What is the best place to eat near your favorit…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.