Mountain Project Logo

Changes and New Features in the Forum

Original Post
Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

I've made these changes to the forum:

1. Users with lots of flagged posts* are now warned that their account could be deleted if things get worse. It is a giant warning you will not miss - if you don't see anything, there's no problem.
  2. Users with even more flagged posts than above will have their messages minimized, though anyone can still opt to see them.
  3. Anyone can choose to "Ignore" a user.  You can do this from a user's profile page, or using a shortcut in the "Flag" popup next to every message. For example, if "Jill" decides to ignore "Jack":
    1. When Jill views any topic, messages from Jack are minimized, though Jill can still opt to see them.
    2. Jack cannot reply to any topic that Jill creates.  (Jack can still reply to other topics.)
  4. Users can remove people from the Ignore list on the Account Settings page.
*A note on how this works: Flagging a message sends it to me or other admins for review.  The flag itself does not hurt a user's reputation, but if an admin agrees with the flag and deletes the message, the person's reputation gets worse.  Jerk posts are really bad for a reputation.  Other factors also affect reputation: the total number of messages, the age of the account, other contributions, etc.

Flagging offensive posts is the best tool we have to keep things civil - please use it when warranted.  On the other hand, maliciously flagging posts in an attempt to hassle other users will not be effective, and your account will likely be deactivated for wasting our time.
Glowering · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 16

Great updates. Thanks.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Will we know who chooses to "ignore" whom?

r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Cool ideas. Great work!

JaredG · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 17

Is there (or will there be) a way to permanently "unignore" the trolls identified by (2)?  In other words, if I want to see what the trolls (or particular trolls) are posting without having to click "Show It" every time?  Not joking.

(Edit to add: bold move launching new features at 5pm on a Friday!)

Buck Rogers · · West Point, NY · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 240

Awesome changes!  Thanks!

Lily Johnson · · MA · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 201
JaredG wrote: Is there (or will there be) a way to permanently "unignore" the trolls identified by (2)?  In other words, if I want to see what the trolls (or particular trolls) are posting without having to click "Show It" every time?  Not joking.

As harmful as they can be, I fully agree with this. Back when Tradiban was still around it I wouldn't have missed one of those posts for the world, and it would have been such a hassle to click every one of his comments just to see his glorious work in action.

BigCountry · · The High Country · Joined May 2012 · Points: 20

Thanks for the explanation 

Jason Halladay · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 15,153
Julian H wrote: What happens when Jill decided that she likes Jack again? 
Nick Wilder wrote: 4. Users can remove people from the Ignore list on the Account Settings page.
Go to your profile page, click the "Edit Profile" button and then the "Account Settings" tab. Ignored Users are in the lower left corner. 
JaredG wrote: Is there (or will there be) a way to permanently "unignore" the trolls identified by (2)?  In other words, if I want to see what the trolls (or particular trolls) are posting without having to click "Show It" every time?  Not joking.

I'd like this also. Commented in the other thread, sheesh. I'd just as soon see what everyone posts and make up my own mind. BTW, I couldn't get "everyone" to italicize.

Best, Helen
Paul Morrison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 55

While you're at it, you should change the name of this feature. If you are going to unilaterally abrogate diversity and inclusivity by enabling individuals to cancel other individuals, you're no longer operating a public space for the open exchange of ideas. It's not a forum anymore, so stop calling it one.

Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 528

This is awesome, thanks a lot Nick.

For users who have already been banned once (or multiple times) and keep creating new accounts, do you have any plans to enforce the previous bans?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Paul Morrison wrote: While you're at it, you should change the name of this feature. If you are going to unilaterally abrogate diversity and inclusivity by enabling individuals to cancel other individuals, you're no longer operating a public space for the open exchange of ideas. It's not a forum anymore, so stop calling it one.

Is this a joke? It's quite funny.

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812
Nick Rhodes wrote: This is a great feature but I'm thoroughly disappointed the "community" couldn't just ignore what triggers them without the help of Big Brother. C'est la vie.

Yay!  He's back!!!! 

... unless I'm being trolled. :)
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Bill Lawry wrote:

That's not trolling.
Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812
Marc801 C wrote: That's not trolling.

Go it. 

Glowering · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 16

Users with lots of flagged posts, warnings, and agreement by the mods are minimized. Don’t like that ? then don’t be a dick.

I’d rather have those trolls automatically minimized rather than have to read each user name on a reply and see if I want to skip their replies. If someone enjoys that type of negativity and trolling I’m totally on board with making THEM take the extra step to see it instead of me taking the extra step to avoid it. 

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
Bill Lawry wrote:

Yay!  He's back!!!! 

Well, the last name is misspelled, so...

Blue Collar Climbing · · Gear Protected Lowball · Joined Jan 2020 · Points: 0

Warnings before a ban, a soft-ban system (minimized posts) and user-enabled ignore functions all sound like perfectly reasonable forum moderation features.

An "always show" setting for soft-banned users would be nice, or even a global "show all" setting on your account would be nice, but whatever, I'm not going to develop carpal tunnel from an extra click now and then.

One thought: if a user who isn't soft-banned/permaminimized quotes a user who is, does the minimized post show up in the response to everyone?

BigCountry · · The High Country · Joined May 2012 · Points: 20

BOO ;)

BigCountry wrote: BOO ;)

Boo who?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountain Project News
Post a Reply to "Changes and New Features in the Forum"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started