Mountain Project Logo

A specific request

Original Post
Brennan VanDyke · · Edmond, OK · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 1,566

Ok guys, so my girlfriends birthday is in late August and if we’re allowed to travel by then, I was wondering if there were any climbing areas next to/around seals/sea lions on the coast?  She loves seals and she loves climbing, she said that would be her climbing dream.  Any ideas on an area where this might be possible?

Matt Wells · · Healdsburg, CA · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

Sunset Boulders, but it’s super small. 

M Alexander · · SLO, CA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 22

Well it depends what type of climbing and how close to the ocean you want it to be. Pinnacles Nat'l Park is cool and relatively close to sea lions and elephant seals. 

Nkane 1 · · East Bay, CA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 141

Otter Cliffs in Acadia! Harbor seals poke their heads out of the water to observe the hoomans all the time.

cnadel · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 5

Seen many seals around the mouth of the Squamish river... not exactly climbing next to them but you're close!

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18

Sonoma coast - twin coves, salt point, dry sea crag

L Kap · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 105

I love that you are asking this question. 

Scott Jones · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 20

You'll see the occasional sea lion here:

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105733884/mickeys-beach

Rob Blakemore · · Boston, MA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 270

I'll second Squamish. We were there last august and saw about a dozen seals catching fish in the early morning west of Squamish River Dyke Rd. Beautiful spot to sit and watch them do their thing. GPS: 49.692433, -123.180001

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 28,262

Point Rayes (? spelling?) just NW of SFC has elephant seals, especially on the peninsula going out to the old rescue / lifeboat station.

Jimmy Downhillinthesnow · · Fort Collins, CO / Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10

Having lived near both places, Squamish if you want world-class climbing within view of the ocean, with the possibility that you won’t see a damn thing due to smoke. Acadia if you want bucolic New England charm and fun but not world class climbing on sea cliffs. South Wall on the precipice is awesome too but not a sea cliff. 

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 28,262

Been to Acadia 3x.  Only seal I saw was way out in the ocean.  Maybe the wrong season (was there in late Aug) ....just saying..

Shelton Hatfield · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 650
SEAL COVE
seems relevant :)
Richard Randall · · Santa Cruz · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Salt point state park is one of the most beautiful places I've ever climbed, and exploring the coast and the small towns there is really fun. Shipwreck wall rises right out of the sea and the Secrets (and plenty of other) boulders are a stone's throw from the water. Seems like a place I would like if I were a seal (maybe the park rangers would know) although I haven't personally seen any there.

Lurk Er · · Truckee, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 5,289

Promontory. There are usually some sea lions sunning themselves on the rocks just past (north of) the main wall.

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/106024808/promontory

Peter Tidball · · Tuolumne county · Joined Nov 2019 · Points: 5
Lurker wrote: Promontory. There are usually some sea lions sunning themselves on the rocks just past (north of) the main wall.

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/106024808/promontory

^ plus one for Promontory. Beautiful little crag! 

Brennan VanDyke · · Edmond, OK · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 1,566

Thanks for all the help everyone!  Appreciate it, and its time to do some planning.

Tim Opsahl · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

Tasmania ;)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "A specific request"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started