Mountain Project Logo

Wild country Ropeman

Original Post
Nick Haha · · Choosing the path less trav… · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 365

Can someone who’s used this device give me a review on it?  What are your thoughts from the Ropeman 1 vs 2?

John Clark · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 1,398

I used the new ropeman 2 as my secondary for tr soloing the last two weekends and it was good, but needs more line tension to glide smoothly compared to the MicroTrax

john greer · · modesto · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 110

Both are great devices in my opinion, but I think I prefer V1 because it doesn't have the ascender like teeth. I always feel safer simul climbing knowing you probably won't strip the sheath with the wedge toothed version. However, if you are only using it for an ascender I think the V2 is great because it generally slips way less when stuff gets weird. 

Thank you everyone 

Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 316

I have a V2 that I keep on my harness pretty much all the time, in lieu of a prussic cord.  I've only had to use it twice for real, once when bailing off an overhanging route I was TRing and couldn't make it to the next bolt with the directional, and once when I got my shirt caught in my rappel device.  I've also practiced rope-soloing in a simul-climb like set-up.  It worked well in all cases.  Light and compact and easy to use and the teeth don't bother me since I don't see myself using it in an application that risks destroying a sheath.  I've picked up a Micro-trax for those times.

Leroy Fielding · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 23

The ropeman2 is rated for a wider range of rope diameter (8-11mm??).  I want to say the ropeman1 is rated for ropes 10mm and larger, but I don't have it right in front of me.  That being said, I use both to TR solo and have not had any issues with the ropeman1 on my 9.6mm rope.  As mentioned above, you need a lot of rope tension for both v1 & v2 to feed smoothly.

Nathan · · Tel Aviv · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 107

I've got a ropeman 2 for a pocket 3 to 1 when combined with a grigri and pulley, it does the job and doesnt take up much space, would buy again.

Bug Boy · · In my car · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 81

they do their jobs well! Better options out there though (roll n' lock) that won't give you as much rope drag if you are using them for simul climbing

Sam M · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30
E Mann wrote: they do their jobs well! Better options out there though (roll n' lock) that won't give you as much rope drag if you are using them for simul climbing

Agreed, rollnlock is far and away the best simul climbing device.

Caveman Y · · NO VA · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 871

I’ve been happy with mine for TR solo, rigging 3 to 1 hauls and protecting simul climbs. That said, I don’t have much to compare them to. I’ve practiced using them as emergency ascenders, but that was not so great. 

Nathan · · Tel Aviv · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 107

Oh shit, Nick, I didn't realize you'd posted this. Let me know if you want to borrow mine. 

Sweet, I’ll contact you or see you at earth treks

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 27,827

I've used Ropeman-2 for years for top-rope soloing.  Works great. I'd give it " 4 1/2 stars".   I also ALWAYS carry one on my harness...figure in an emergency it's a lot better than a prussic and it weighs next to nothing. I carry 2 (or sometimes 3) on glaciers.  

I picked the "2" because when I was buying them the "1" was plastic. I've not used it for "running" belays while symul-climbing.

Only negative comment is that with some thicker biners it is more of a pain to work with, so I have dedicated biners that I use with mine.

That’s really helpful, thanks Robert

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 27,827

Forgot to mention, I usually move the ascender up manually ahead of me on the rope as I climb up.   I use an 8mm sling, girth hitched to my harness. I always carry a second one, and independently put it on the rope (with 2nd sling) at overhangs, etc., where if I fell the ascended might slam into/over an edge. I'm usually climbing less-than-90-fegree slab.

As with all such set ups, you need to weight the rope ( I used an old, 1/2 liter water btl filled with water) or, for the first 30 ft or so you'll just pull up rope when you try to move it up.  Folk who use the Petzl small ascender have a slightly easier time of it.

Isham Ishaya · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0
Paul L wrote: I have a V2 that I keep on my harness pretty much all the time, in lieu of a prussic cord.  I've only had to use it twice for real, once when bailing off an overhanging route I was TRing and couldn't make it to the next bolt with the directional, and once when I got my shirt caught in my rappel device.  I've also practiced rope-soloing in a simul-climb like set-up.  It worked well in all cases.  Light and compact and easy to use and the teeth don't bother me since I don't see myself using it in an application that risks destroying a sheath.  I've picked up a Micro-trax for those times.

Mark Schubert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2023 · Points: 0
Bug Boy wrote: they do their jobs well! Better options out there though (roll n' lock) that won't give you as much rope drag if you are using them for simul climbing

The roll n lock is a much smoother device/better device all around.

Might want to check the de-sheathing numbers on the Ropeman. If I recall correctly, the Ropeman de-sheaths considerably sooner than other devices. 

B Donovan · · Boulder, CO · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0

Where would one obtain such data?

I have a Ropeman 2 that I carry in lieu of a prussik and have simulated my setup on a fixed line before - seems great.

Are we talking about cutting the sheath in a scenario when you fall on TR solo?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "Wild country Ropeman"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started