Mountain Project Logo

Climbing on university grounds

Original Post
Gokul G · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2011 · Points: 1,748

I'm trying to get permission to bolt a few lines on a small limestone cliff that lies on property owned by the university I work at. The facilities/safety people are not happy about the idea (presumably, for liability reasons) and have asked me if there are examples of other places where outdoor climbing is permitted on campus grounds. Does anyone have examples I can point to? Any other advice for making my case to the university administration? Thanks!

kat · · SLC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 46
https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105842458/collegedale-park 

broken out from a quarry. I've only climbed here once (not the best rock quality, especially in comparison to what we have) BUT I thought it was really cool that the school not only allowed it but they also leave it open to the public to use.
Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
Gokul wrote: I'm trying to get permission to bolt a few lines on a small limestone cliff that lies on property owned by the university I work at. The facilities/safety people are not happy about the idea (presumably, for liability reasons) and have asked me if there are examples of other places where outdoor climbing is permitted on campus grounds. Does anyone have examples I can point to? Any other advice for making my case to the university administration? Thanks!

Not sure where you are located, but most states have laws limiting the liability of property owners as long as no fee is charged for participating in the recreational activity.  You could look into the laws in your state and let the university know so that they wouldn't have to worry about any liability.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Gokul wrote: I'm trying to get permission to bolt a few lines on a small limestone cliff that lies on property owned by the university I work at. The facilities/safety people are not happy about the idea (presumably, for liability reasons) and have asked me if there are examples of other places where outdoor climbing is permitted on campus grounds. Does anyone have examples I can point to? Any other advice for making my case to the university administration? Thanks!

Tons of universities have climbing walls. Even if they aren't real rock.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
FrankPS wrote:

Tons of universities have climbing walls. Even if they aren't real rock.

Gyms on a campus are big difference than people climbing real rock on a campus. I have heard of a few with real boulders but don't know of any with real rope.

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

Well this may or may not be something to point out. It is important to consider having expert advise when a liability is created by a small user group, that then can endanger others.

Warning; Brutally graphic pictures
It was the best of times till some, ! -never gonna be climbers- ! in my book, they, (Gunks idjuts) really phook'd up the place

Greg Shea wrote:The airforce academy In colorado springs
I have No idea but if it is anything like other Military Only zones why bring it up here? 
Not anything at all like the OP's dilemma.

Eric Engberg wrote:PI Wall West Point
really no help at all to add the climbing that our tax dollars go to

US Military Academy at West point?
You better Know Dawes & Sue, even then there is a ban on non- affiliated climbers there.

The two of you are a pair.... (of_____________, Fill in the Blank)

Using the Bolts & climbing on Federally protected property where, they will say you are trespassing,  can get you put in lock up
Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0

PI Wall West Point

Thanks for the responses so far. I guess I should have mentioned this is a state university (not private) in Wisconsin.

And there are important differences between having an indoor wall or gym (behind a door that can be locked) and an outdoor climbing area. I believe there's also differences in liability exposure from allowing bouldering on campus property vs actually bolting lines and establishing a climbing area that can not be controlled for access (put padlocks on the bolt hangers???).

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10
Suburban Roadside wrote:
I have No idea but if it is anything like other Military Only zones why bring it up here? 
Not anything at all like the OP's dilemma.

1. It is like the OP's dilemma in that it is an academy; it seems like you are having a bad day do you need to talk?

2. To the OP here is the area, I hope you get permission at your university.

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/106937097
JohnnyG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 10

I suggest contacting the Access Fund. They are super helpful. This is their mission

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

There are TR anchors on buildings at CU Boulder.

Adam Tripp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 185

Not a university, but Alexander County NC opened a recreational park that not only allows climbing, but it is the main focus. It used to be a quarry
https://www.mountainproject.com/area/108538640/rocky-face-recreational-area

Jake W · · Provo, UT · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

On the Campus of Brigham Young University in Provo, the students learn to set anchors by hanging them off of a bridge on campus, and then ascending up them. Does that help?

AKSClimbs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 4,698

I believe the University of Central Missouri once did something along the lines you are discussing.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

Bolt first and ask questions later.

And I have to ask.....where??!?!
JohnnyG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 10
Tradiban wrote:

Bolt first and ask questions later.

And I have to ask.....where??!?!

I think times are changing. This strategy completely screwed a fantastic climbing area near me. Bolts chopped by landowner. Created a LOT of bad will toward climbers If permission were sought beforehand, I'm quite sure bolting would have been allowed

Tradiban wrote: And I have to ask.....where??!?!

It's in Platteville, Nick. Nothing worth driving for, but would be a good spot for students to learn to clip bolts and have a weekday evening crag to go to.

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 808

If the university does not already have a climbing group/club it might be tough to get the ball rolling without group support. 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Gokul wrote:

It's in Platteville, Nick. Nothing worth driving for, but would be a good spot for students to learn to clip bolts and have a weekday evening crag to go to.

It's UW Madison territory or UW Platteville? Not sure it that matters actually. Regardless I think the analogy of any recreation on University land would help, isn't the arboretum UW land?

The point is to equate rock climbing to "regular" recreations, and perhaps show accident stats if they are favorable.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Climbing on university grounds"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started