Mountain Project Logo

Who is losing weight these days?

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665
Chris90 wrote:sex sex and more sex. Best exercise you can get! Twice a day, six days a week
If I were single and 21, I wouldn't be worried about gaining weight.
Got any advice for 40 and married?

You know the difference between Single and 21 and Married and 40?
At 21 and single, when you get home you look to see what's in the fridge, give up, and go to bed.
At 40 and married, when you get home you look to see what's in the bed, give up, and go to the fridge.
Finn The Human · · The Land of Ooo · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 106

I lost 25 lbs in the last few months. I was up to 200 lbs after my back injury last year. I'm 6'3" so I wasn't exactly over weight, but heavier than I wanted to be. I started by giving up fast food. Dropped 10 lbs easy. Then I started going back to the gym 3x week, and now I'm down to 175 :)

Alpinisto · · Connecticut · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 30
flesh wrote:I lost 22 lbs from februrary to june. I dindn't do any exercise except climb every other day. I ran a caloric deficit. I figured I needed about 1800 cals/day on non climbing days to maintain weight and about 2200 on climbing days to maintain weight. A lb of fat has about 3500 cals in it. I ran about a 500 calorie/day deficit and lost about a lb/week. I didn't count anything other than total calories to keep it simple. The only other thing I did was eat small meals, about 4-5 per day. Right before bed, I'd eat about 50 calories, so I could fall asleep easily. After cutting from 176 to 154 (5 11 3/4) I was 6% body fat. Climbing improved substantially and in june I did my hardest boulder problem ever. In july, I slowly increased calories to maintain weight. Now, I'm 156 and still 6%, I've added two pounds of muscle, only from climbing. I never wanted to think that it would make such a big difference b4, it's truly amazing what cutting weight can do.
Similar story here (though dunno what my bodyfat percentage is).

Was 174# (5'10"/reasonably athletic build) after back-to-back 4th of July parties and I'd previously promised myself I'd never see 175#. Plus, I had a climbing trip planned for mid-September that I knew would benefit from me being lighter. I set a goal of 160# and am currently at 165# with 3.5 weeks to go.

Using the same 500 cal/day deficit idea, I've been losing 1-1.5 lbs/week (though a week's vacation in California had me gaining back a couple pounds). The two keys for me:

1) Food journal. Writing down everything I eat, along with its calories, has yielded some surprises, and has me eating better than I have in years, not that I'd been eating like crap. I eat pretty healfully, actually, but had a bit of a problem with portion control.

2) Running. (Training for a trail half marathon.) I'm averaging around 20 miles/week now, and that definitely helps burn off the calories.
DannyUncanny · · Vancouver · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 100

Just got back from a week at the Bugaboos. We guestimated how much food we would need and came up a little bit short on the last days. Hiking and climbing for 8+ hours a day on light rations will definitely have you dropping weight fast.

Chris D · · the couch · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 2,230
vanishing spy wrote: You can go by BMI for a reference point. nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminoj…
Holy crap. To get to the midrange of this normal BMI scale, I'd need to have only around 150 pounds on my 5' 10" frame.

By which calculation I can conclude that, despite my incorrect assumption to the contrary, I am a fatass.

Frankly, I can't imagine weighing 150 pounds, though I suppose it would help my strength-to-weight ratio, even if i was somewhat weaker...
Andy Craig · · Cascades area, WA · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 95

I was into bodybuilding and weighed 230.

Then started climbing,
five years later,
around 180.

Wish I never started bodybuilding.

pulling crimps at 220 sucked balls.

I find this extremely interesting, I never thought of how elevation plays a role.

I'll be heading down to summit county area for the winter so maybe I can shred a few more lbs at higher ele.

How has your roadtrip been? I'm about to start living out of my car end of sept. Haven't figured out the setup I'll be going with yet though.

Thanks again for that insight into elevation, didn't occur to me at all 'til now

Then again, I shouldn't be posting too much in here cause I'm not on a specific diet or anything either. Just been losing weight by eating a bit cleaner and trying to get out to play as much as possible.

Seems to work.

Never been able to count calories.

AliciaMunoz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

I wish I was :-/ I just gained 20 while living in Germany :(

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "Who is losing weight these days?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started