Mountain Project Logo

Free Solo my Ass

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Kevinmurray wrote: Climbing has been on a downward spiral for a long time thanks to gyms and too many people so to say a movie ruined climbing is not altogether true. Climbing movies can be incredibly borrring. I tried to watch Meru the other day just to see what all the hype was about. Fast fowarded through it and all I saw was interviews with people. Spent all of 3 minutes.
You somehow were watching a different Meru than the one the rest of us saw.

Would not pay to see Free Solo .I have netflix and won't watch dawn wall, the worlds longest sport climb.

FS was shown on the National Geographic channel last Sunday evening. If you think the Dawn Wall is the world's longest sport climb, you know incredibly little about it.

Ska Ggs wrote:If climbing is ruined for you [by a movie]...
I wonder what the people saying this are going to think in another year when climbing is in the Olympics.
Chris Hill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 0
Chris Hill wrote:

Is this the Kevin Murray from the old days in Colorado Springs?

Sound like it is.  Kevin - great to hear from you.  Hope you are well.

Chris
Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
Marc801 C wrote: I wonder what the people saying this are going to think in another year when climbing is in the Olympics.

"Climbing ruined the Olympics for me because...."

Elyas Bianchi · · Eugene, OR · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

omg this guy is so annoying wtf lol 

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

I find the best answer when non climbers ask “Do you climb FreeSolo?”
Just say..... “why yes I do, we all do, that’s what the sport is about”
Trying to explain further only confuses the issue.

And FYI, when I started back in the olden daze a well known climber had just committed suicide.... his main reason- stated in his note ... “Climbing has been ruined...”

Somethings never change.

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215
K Weber wrote:

Climbing and El Cap is Awesome!!!!!

I will watch anything about El Cap.  Even the 12 min rappel vid on YouTube.

Is there a such a thing as a speed record on rapping down the El Cap? 

Fehim Hasecic wrote:

Is there a such a thing as a speed record on rapping down the El Cap? 

I don't think so, but there is a speed record for ascending the 3K' of rope.

Related article: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2403825/Into-void-Daredevils-complete-worlds-biggest-abseils-dropping-3-000ft-face-El-Capitan-Yosemite-National-Park.html
Kelley Gilleran · · Meadow Vista · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 2,812
Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote: What is the average air speed velocity of a unladen Swallow?

Coconuts my ass.

*wing speed

European or African swallow?
Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215
Marc801 C wrote:

I don't think so, but there is a speed record for ascending the 3K' of rope.

Related article: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2403825/Into-void-Daredevils-complete-worlds-biggest-abseils-dropping-3-000ft-face-El-Capitan-Yosemite-National-Park.html

Ok, that was funny!

What would have happened if they didn’t have the tree to anchor in? All those years of training for naught?Also, I didn’t know about elements in the valley, the granite wind dust, how many lives has it claimed?
Kevinmurray · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0
Chris Hill wrote:

Is this the Kevin Murray from the old days in Colorado Springs?

Chris yup old guy from the old days. What are you up to besides frittering away the moments of a dull day. Still in Utah?

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Fehim Hasecic wrote:

Ok, that was funny!

What would have happened if they didn’t have the tree to anchor in? All those years of training for naught?Also, I didn’t know about elements in the valley, the granite wind dust, how many lives has it claimed?

that article is ridiculous. " The team said they went through an 'incredible' amount of training to develop the skills and gain the experience to tackle this descent", a caption below a photo that included a biner being tri-axially loaded. Because rappeling requires so much training and skill... 

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148
Kelley Gilleran wrote:

*wing speed

European or African swallow?

Are you suggesting that Coconuts migrate?

Kevinmurray · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0
Marc801 C wrote: You somehow were watching a different Meru than the one the rest of us saw.

FS was shown on the National Geographic channel last Sunday evening. If you think the Dawn Wall is the world's longest sport climb, you know incredibly little about it.

Dawn wall, lets see. Practiced and worked on for seven years. Pre placed bolts. Sponsored, support teams, catered meals and fine spirits. Sounds like a sport climb to me. Hard work and dedication for sure but I can't get too excited about it.

eli poss wrote:

that article is ridiculous. " The team said they went through an 'incredible' amount of training to develop the skills and gain the experience to tackle this descent", a caption below a photo that included a biner being tri-axially loaded. Because rappeling requires so much training and skill... 

Actually, that kind of rappelling does require some specialized techniques and gear.

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148
Kevinmurray wrote:

Dawn wall, lets see. Practiced and worked on for seven years. Pre placed bolts. Sponsored, support teams, catered meals and fine spirits. Sounds like a sport climb to me. Hard work and dedication for sure but I can't get too excited about it.

lol. Did they have white or red wine with their Brie?

Kevinmurray wrote:

Now you've proven you know very little about the climb.

Ben Kelley · · Maple Falls, WA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 17

Wait, what are y'all talking about. Alex Honnold made a movie??

Kelley Gilleran · · Meadow Vista · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 2,812
Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote:

Are you suggesting that Coconuts migrate?

Not at all!

They could be carried. 
Kelley Gilleran wrote:

Not at all!

They could be carried. 

Its a simple question of weight ratios.

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Free Solo my Ass"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started