Mountain Project Logo

Is devil lake worth a 3 hour drive??

Andy W · · Ft Collins · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 41
Tradiban wrote:

Redgarden?!?! Thats the chossest choss of choss there is! Remember the Rewritten refrigerator?!

If you think rewritten is a choss pile, you haven't climbed much in the mountains (which I don't think is the case). But based on how often you troll on here, I wouldn't doubt if you have more time on the keyboard than on the mountain. Which would also keep you from realizing why CO climbing is so great. So I can understand but disagree with your conclusion regarding CO climbing.

Edit: I'm ok with people thinking CO isn't worth it, more rock to myself. But even tho eldo is called the great choss pile, rewritten is very clean rock. 
M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Tradiban wrote:

Redgarden?!?! Thats the chossest choss of choss there is! Remember the Rewritten refrigerator?!

You gotta stop hurting so many feelings. 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Andy W wrote:

If you think rewritten is a choss pile, you haven't climbed much in the mountains (which I don't think is the case). But based on how often you troll on here, I wouldn't doubt if you have more time on the keyboard than on the mountain. Which would also keep you from realizing why CO climbing is so great. So I can understand but disagree with your conclusion regarding CO climbing.

Edit: I'm ok with people thinking CO isn't worth it, more rock to myself. But even tho eldo is called the great choss pile, rewritten is very clean rock. 

Im not a no-good-worthless dirty bag most the week so YES, I touch the keyboard more than climb because I WORK! Fancy that!

If you've ever spent anytime on Pearl Street and seen the "ColoClimber Strut" you know that the idolation of CO climbing is over the top. The lines at Clear Creek, the tantrums at Dream Canyon, the polish at Rifle, the choss at Longs, it aint no Mecca.

But lets not beat the hell out of the dead horse that is Colo climbing Mmmmmmk?
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Nick, you act like Lumpy Ridge doesn’t exist.  Anyways, anything is choss if you compare it to DL quartzite, which is the most solid rock I’ve ever seen.  On the flipside, wet granite has more friction than dry quartzite, so it really depends on what you’re looking for when judging rock quality.

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16

I just spent the last week in Estes Park, three and 1/2 days at Lumpy, two at CCC and one in Eldo.  It was fantastic. Weather was perfect except for one afternoon when it rained, and we still got a full days climb in.

What was DL like last week? Five days of rain?

Burton Lindquist · · Madison, WI · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 4,220

This weekend past we had absolute perfect climbing temps and general weather.  Clear blue skies and nice breezy conditions.  Temps in the high 60's in the shade and warm in the sun.  The recent onslaught of little skeeter biters seems to have gone as well!

Burton Lindquist wrote: This weekend past we had absolute perfect climbing temps and general weather.  Clear blue skies and nice breezy conditions.  Temps in the high 60's in the shade and warm in the sun.  The recent onslaught of little skeeter biters seems to have gone as well!

I believe it rained most of last week...torrentially.

Andy Eiter · · Madison, WI · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 276
Buck Rio wrote:

I believe it rained most of last week...torrentially.

The rock was pretty wet Thursday night, but the weather was perfect. Had a great time climbing.

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665
Andy Eiter wrote:

The rock was pretty wet Thursday night, but the weather was perfect. Had a great time climbing.

Well, that's the nice thing about D.L.  The rock is already slick, right?

Sunday I went for a high alpine route with no monsoon pattern as well, but...
The reason why I did it this weekend is that the weather skunked me out of it 4-5 other times.
In all seriousness, it rains here in CO too.  But yes, last week was great and I'd take CO weather over WI weather.
I mean, I did move here for a reason and I used to be a mid-west climber.

But I still say that D.L. is easily worth a 3 hour drive!

Chad Hiatt · · Bozeman, Mt · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 85

Let's focus here.  You're (the op) from the Minneapolis area.  Where else are you going to go climb within 3 hours that compares to DL?  Make the drive.  Oh, and bring a rack and a rope.

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665

Admittedly, I might say that with the North Shore being nearly the same distance that both are clearly worth it.

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

Well, the bees are out now swarming all the faces and cracks in the sun, so just stay home. 

jon jugenheimer wrote: Well, the bees are out now swarming all the faces and cracks in the sun, so just stay home. 

I'm going to get to the East Bluffs at 4:30 AM this Saturday and set top ropes on all of the classics, using nothing bigger than a #4 Stopper. And I'll have a vicious dog that has an affinity for other people ropes and loose bowels. And I am going to be bringing at least 7 unsupervised kids that have been pumped full of Red Bull and Skittles.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Is devil lake worth a 3 hour drive??"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started