Mountain Project Logo

What should you practice every year?

Original Post
Victor K · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 170

I’m in Lander for the festival, and one in our group is doing a clinic covering transitions in alpine climbing. We both did it last year and he wanted a refresher. So, what important skills do you need but rarely do?
For example, I’m thinking I should practice escaping the belay every season.
What do YOU think?

Ryan Dubberly · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 76

Self rescue. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Lowering from Guide mode, escaping the belay/self rescue, rappelling from a munter.  All skills you’ll hopefully never need, but be kind of fucked if you need them and they’re not fresh.

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103
Ted Pinson wrote: Lowering from Guide mode...
or better yet, abstinence from guide mode :)
Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490

Buying roses for your wife.....

Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1

yoga

Matt Wenger · · Bozeman · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 3,979

Escaping belay, munter hitch, passing a knot, self-rescue (especially with a severely injured/barely functioning or unconscious partner), and PATIENCE and caution with new climbers. We were all there once, and it's easy to forget what it was like not knowing how to lead, rappel, clean anchors, etc.

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

Maybe not exactly every year, but first aid.

Does anyone know of outfits that teach self-rescue + first aid, instead of treating them as completely separate concepts?

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625

Gratitude.

Tyler Newcomb · · New York, New York | Boston · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 81
slim wrote: or better yet, abstinence from guide mode :)

But half the load on the anchors!

Tyler Newcomb · · New York, New York | Boston · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 81
Everett wrote: Maybe not exactly every year, but first aid.

Does anyone know of outfits that teach self-rescue + first aid, instead of treating them as completely separate concepts?

I would say every year. Things change, concepts run away. Maybe "practice" isn't the right word, but refresh yourself frequently on signs and symptoms that aren't as obvious.

Scott Powers · · Concord NH · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

I would say throughout the year practice whatever skill you are reasonably likely to use but least proficient in.  This should be something that you don't really need to reread a book or anything to do, but just do a bunch.  If you suck at placing tricams start every day out by placing a few before your partner shows up, or something like that.  I would then say every year you should refresh your first aid and self rescue skills appropriate to the terrain you are in. I say refresh here because you don't just want to go through the motions on these, but also make sure that what you are practicing is up to date. Ideally you and your common climbing partners should do this together so you get more dialed in as a team.  If you do any winter climbing also add in refreshing companion rescue and beacon drills at the start of the season.  

These suggestions are ALL 100% excellent. And, BTW, ROTFL.

Does he do that neat trick where he keeps both hands on your shoulders the whole time?  Or is that just my dentist. 

Nor is there anything funny about a prostate exam.
Still, ROTFL

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

compassion for noobs who are 9 pitches up an alpine route with a rappel descent, but don't know how to rappel.

Don Ton · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Do you guys know any good Self Rescue videos online?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What should you practice every year?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started