Mountain Project Logo

Cheap calories on the fly?

Peter J · · Bishop · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 709
Eli wrote:

Jar of PB & spooning device.

By all means, take your girlfriend on your climbing trips man, but no need to refer to her by such a dehumanizing term...

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 9,350

Fruit rolls, nuts, summer sausage, can of sardines in mustard, block of cheese, and a chocolate bar. .

Gerrit Verbeek · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Walnuts! 7.1 cal/g, which beats the pants off nearly anything else (peanut butter is ~6 cal/g, adding bread takes it down to ~4.5)

Mix with dark chocolate chips, M&Ms, dried cranberries or mangoes.

I also live on Quaker Chewy bars.

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,818

I make pemmican for longer trips, which basically taste like bacon drippings and goes a long way.

A packet of ramen is like 350-500 calories, which I crush up, add seasoning, and eat like chips. 

Sardines or any canned fish is great but will stink up your pack, gear, and everything around unless you rinse the can afterwards.  So I usually bring pepperoni sticks.

Cody H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 30

Before going on a wall or a big day I’ll empty a jar of peanut butter into a pot heat it up and melt a stick of butter into it then pour it back into the jar before it cools. A great way to add a ton of calories to a normal pb sandwich, plus it’s delicious! 

Shane F · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 1

Tuna, pesto, and cheese on a tortilla. Only down side is the pesto and tuna containers can be messy. I usually double bag the trash.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
the schmuck wrote:

Nothing trollish about olive oil. It really is quite energy dense & easy to digest. 

Certainly true, but certainly unpalatable. 

Our go-to bitd was avocado-cream cheese sandwichs on a bagel.

England · · Colorado Springs · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 270
Hector Luevano wrote:

You could also try some crotch pot meals. 

https://www.gossamergear.com/products/the-crotch-pot

I haven't laughed that hard in a while....thanks for that! I take brats on bakery made rolls with mustard. PB & J on tortillas, salami/hard cheese. Quinoa made the night before.

Beean · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
the schmuck wrote:

Nothing trollish about olive oil. It really is quite energy dense & easy to digest. Lard ball with salt & honey works well also. 

I pour it on bread.

James Sweeney · · Roselle Park, NJ · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 30
Marc801 C wrote:

Certainly true, but certainly unpalatable. 

 Then ingest by shelfing!

  Or....

  

 But, seriously though....

 Cricket up!

  

Morty Gwin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

Doughnuts and whiskey. HTFU

Zach Holt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 275

Summer sausage, mini bagels, baby bells or other cheese. Backcountry burgers. 

Doug Lintz · · Kearney, NE · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 1,196
Gerrit Verbeek wrote:

...I also live on Quaker Chewy bars.

So, like as a sleeping pad replacement?  Not exactly cheap but that's a handy midnight snack solution too.  I like it.

Mark Paulson · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 151

Embarrassed to suggest, but... Pop Tarts.  99 cents for 400 calories (even cheaper in a box), and available everywhere.   I don't really eat them any more, but at a certain point, I got tired of cramping up or bloating from Clif bars and other largely unrefined foods/bars and started trending towards more refined and processed foods.  I like the original Powerbars for the same reason- ease of digestion and speed of absorption.  This is largely antithetical to how I usually eat, but when I'm asking my body to engage in a high-stress, high-energy activity, I don't also ask it to simultaneously break down a bunch of raw oats, nuts, and seeds.  

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 434

A guy I knew who through-hiked the PCT would put butter in Ziplocs and eat it straight up. The olive oil suggestion seems only a little more gross than that to me.

Daddy Maves · · Bishop, CA · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 0

Pop-tarts.

Doug Lintz · · Kearney, NE · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 1,196

Empty a couple tins of smoked oysters (in oil) into a ziploc bag.  Fill another ziploc with roasted garlicTriscuits.  When it's time to eat, pour the bag of oysters into the bag of Triscuits, mash it up a bit and use a spoon to eat.  Heaven.

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60
Joe Lindberg wrote:

Pine Nuts are extremely caloric

...and extremely expensive.

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195
Doug Lintz wrote:

Empty a couple tins of smoked oysters (in oil) into a ziploc bag.  Fill another ziploc with roasted garlicTriscuits.  When it's time to eat, pour the bag of oysters into the bag of Triscuits, mash it up a bit and use a spoon to eat.  Heaven.

Man that’s gotta make some nasty breath. 

Toblerones are a good option. Bag of almonds. 

You can get packets of oatmeal with protein powder in them. I just pour I heated water into the individual pouch and drink it

nick r · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Little Debbies zebra cakes. 400 cal  25 cents. I'm not sure if there is any actual food in them but if the fire is hot enough it will burn anything. You could do couple of days climbing with sofa change AND get PBR'slater

Nick R

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Cheap calories on the fly?"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.