Mountain Project Logo

Cheap calories on the fly?

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 334
Patrik wrote:

I can't deal with butter/olive oil/peanut butter, I need fiber. Three cups of uncooked but soaked oats at 6am keeps me going until late afternoon. At 5pm, two precourse carrots chase away the hunger and give me fiber to keep my guts going. Carrots also have a load of suger for that quick energy boost. Quite some water so I don't need to carry an extra bottle (enless it goes to 85F). My main course is five slices of bare naked bread for a perfect balance of protein/carb ratio and that satisfying non-organic gluten. As I'm not a big fan of sweets, I usually often go with electrolytes for desert. My favorite is an 8-oz lobster tail (keeps well in chimneys and offwidths) preboiled in a heavy brine solution. Sometimes two claws work fine too, but make sure to bring a sturdy nut tool if you try it. 

Your suggestion for cheap calories is lobster tail?

Cron · · Barrington, NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45
Andrew Krajnik wrote:

Your suggestion for cheap calories is lobster tail?

I swear some folks will believe anything they read in a MP forum. The trolls got it too easy...

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 334
Cron wrote:

I swear some folks will believe anything they read in a MP forum. The trolls got it too easy...

If it's a troll, it's funny. If it's serious, it's funny. Either way, I got a chuckle out of it, so I figured I'd point it out.

Dead Head · · an asshole · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 65
Slogger wrote:

Stick of butter rolled in brown sugar

yes

Jesse Coonce · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5
DRusso wrote:

Take peanut butter,jelly,honey,nutella in whatever combo you like and fill up a ziplock bag and seal it good. When you are ready to eat, take a knife and cut off one of the bottom corners of the ziplock then simply squeeze the contents out into your mouth.

Its essentially a DIY gu packet. 

I had this thought the other day when my friend was relaying this story to me of how his wife had botched a cheesecake recipe and it never set properly and resulted in a runny cheesecake. Now I am obsessed with the idea of mashing up a cheesecake and putting it in a piping bag or one of those reusable toothpaste type tubes for backpacking and taking it out ski touring or climbing.  I imagine it'll taste fantastic and should be loaded with calories, it has got to be better than eating another Clif/Power/Luna type bar.  This will arguably be better for ski touring and winter climbing or mountaineering, but I'm sure cheesecake would be fine for a single day in the heat?  This may also just appeal to me because I love cheesecake and all of its many fatty calories....

Scott Becker · · Medford, OR · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 565

If you like sweet stuff, those individually packaged fruit/pudding pie things usually cost about a dollar and pack about 400 calories. They get crushed easily though.

Also bananas.

JSchloem · · Homer, AK · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 265

Potato chips

Sam Miller · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30

Cracker packets + butter pads from the yosemite lodge food court. A few pads of butter in the morning coffee is A+++

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Cheap calories on the fly?"
in the General Climbing