Mountain Project Logo

Trad gear in climbing gym

Original Post
James White · · Roswell, GA · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Although 

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

How are you placing pro in a climbing gym? On cracks? Slinging jugs? 

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270
Kurt G · · Monticello, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 156

if you have access to a crag I'd much more recommend going out and practice placing at the base of the crag. knowing how to place quickly and efficiently will do you much more good than knowing how your rack shifts around while on TR. Also find a good safe spot just off the ground and hang there until you have a good pump going and then practice placing gear, anyone can place on easy terrain but knowing how to calmly and quickly place good pro is invaluable. not saying what youre doing is pointless but theres much better things you could be doing if you want to train for trad climbing.  

James White · · Roswell, GA · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

My gym does not have cracks,  although it would be cool. Again, I just go through the motion of making a placement. The goal is not to get that wake up call at the crag that I am now climbing with an extra 1 or 2 pounds that I have not been climbing with over the winter months.  Let’s say, climbing with pro, is like climbing with more weights and so you have in effect, more resistance 

Robert Rowsam · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 230
James White wrote:

My gym does not have cracks,  although it would be cool. Again, I just go through the motion of making a placement. The goal is not to get that wake up call at the crag that I am now climbing with an extra 1 or 2 pounds that I have not been climbing with over the winter months.  Let’s say, climbing with pro, is like climbing with more weights and so you have in effect, more resistance 

lol

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016
James White wrote:

If you enjoy this, go for it. I'd rather just climb the routes in the gym. Gym climbing and trad climbing are so different, I'm not trying to make one imitate the other. 

jason.cre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 10
James White wrote:

Help me visualize this -- you rack up with a full rack on top rope in the gym.  You start climbing, and when you are at a stance, pull a cam (or nut or whatever) off your rack, fling it around a bit to 'go through the motions' and then put it back on your harness?   YOU ARE MY HERO.

Charlie S · · NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,391

2/10.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Sounds silly, would look silly.

Jfriday1 · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 40

Ya Troll

TJ B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 26

I won’t flame ya, but I’ll take this opportunity to ask questions since I see you’re from Alpharetta. Wife and I are heading to Atlanta for WSP @ the Fox for NYE. Any good crags that are sunny down there? We’re driving from CO to Des Moines for Christmas and then heading to Atl so I’m bringing the sport rack in case weather is good enough for Chattanooga areas on the way 

Eli Buzzell · · noco · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5,507

I'm in the 0/10 department down here.

What's preventing you from going to real rock outside, where practicing would add some real benefit?

James White · · Alpharetta,GA · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 60

Nothing, prevents me ... and I do practice outside on real rock, I climb trad multipitch often .. I believe this may be my first and last posting on MP.

Erroneous Publicus · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 35

You should check out aid climbing. Endless gear fondling. I suspect you'd love it.   

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
James White wrote:

Flaming is so common in forums, and in truth, its a part of nature I guess to put someone down for trying something different and innovative.

Different? Yes. Innovative? Hardly.

Yet, some people freaked out for sure when climbers were told not to use pitons any longer and to trust cams. The response for sure must of been .. you must be crazy to trust you life on a silly device with no track record.

Your history of climbing protection is seriously lacking.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

Who says you can't find gear placements in the gym?

James White wrote:

Nothing, prevents me ... and I do practice outside on real rock, I climb trad multipitch often .. I believe this may be my first and last posting on MP.

Why did you post about carrying cams in the gym? You didn't have a question in there, so maybe you were looking for feedback? You got it!

Glass Tupperware · · Atlanta · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 45

Lol, I'm still not completely sure whether this thread is a joke or not. And don't you climb at Stone Summit? They have plenty of cracks! I'll keep an eye out for you at the gym so I can give you a hard time for gym climbing with a rack

James White · · Alpharetta,GA · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 60

Well.. thanks for all the replies, .. do I climb with trad gear on my harness at the gym... actually no... are forums still the same.. yes. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "Trad gear in climbing gym "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started