Mountain Project Logo

Music at the Crag

Original Post
abandoned user · · vancouver · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

What do you all think about music at the crag? It seems some people get really mad about it. I honestly like it when people have their music playing while I climb....

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Here we go...

Use of the search function will tell you what people think of it. There have been many (too many) threads on this subject.

Five pages, minimum. 

Just because you like it, doesn't mean everybody else does. Be considerate of others.

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665

"The perception of sweet sound is our most indefinite sense."
As an audiophile, I suppose my first question is why anyone wants to listen to something coming out of an I-phone speaker.
But to each his own, regardless.

Why not just use earbuds?
Probably because it interferes with communication, but implies the answer to another question, right?
Noise distractions mess with communication and attention.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

We should let this topic go...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_gD45ngr_E

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665
Luke Pace wrote:

I am referring to a bluetooth speaker, at medium volume so it doesnt interfere with communication

I was also referring to such a device... little portable things of whatever sort.

"so it doesnt interfere with communication"
In terms of 'interfere' I suppose you meant with YOUR communication.  

That's subjective, and also presumptive.   Your experience is not the same as other's.
Fist off, everyone's attention is slightly different.  Personally I find things that I don't like relatively distracting and irritating.
Likewise, with other people there talking over the music (who increase their volume to do so) that becomes increasingly loud.
A partner 80' away and over a ledge is not very loud.  How loud is the music?  40db?  That's louder than a voice at 80' by far.

You asked for other opinions, I answered.
Couldn't an earbud be turned down to such a level as well?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Luke Pace wrote:

What do you all think about music at the crag? It seems some people get really mad about it. I honestly like it when people have their music playing while I climb....

Doesn't matter if you like it or not. It sucks for others. Keep your music to yourself.

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

If it's loud enough for you to hear, it's bothering someone else.

Music at the crag: not even once.

Sam M · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30

Fucking gymbies

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Having been out with some bouldering friends they annoy the shit out of me when they play music. They are always like fine lets ask the others... but the problem is normally others just don't want to deal with the BS and will say it is fine even if they don't want it playing because they don't want to deal with the other people <--- myself included in this category... I did drop a rock on another person's speaker onetime because it was really annoying.

Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121
Luke Pace wrote:

I suppose it could, but an earbud will block your hearing to some degree without any music. Thank you for your opinion, I'm just looking to see what others think. What do you think about a boulder field where communication is not as important?

It's annoying no matter what.  Wear earbuds at the boulder field because communication isn't important  

Luke,

Based on the replies - it's unanimous. Other people don't want to hear music at the crag. Will that affect your behavior? 

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083

What kind of music? Blue Oyster Cult, or Lady GaGa........... ;) ?

Luke Pace wrote:

Well, yeah. I am not interested in pissing people off. 

You're a good man for considering others!

Luke Pace wrote:

I suppose it could, but an earbud will block your hearing to some degree without any music. Thank you for your opinion, I'm just looking to see what others think. What do you think about a boulder field where communication is not as important?

Let's make this as simple as possible:

NOT ANYWHERE.

Keep the tunes in your earbuds or in your car. Period.

Brandon Ribblett · · The road · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 80

maybe its ok if you are at the crag by yourself, but music has no place in a crowded crag of any sort. 

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349
Luke Pace wrote:

CCR, lil wayne, Toto, Journey, etc

And the thread takes a disastrous turn!

Daniel T · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35
Luke Pace wrote:

CCR, lil wayne, Toto, Journey, etc

You can not say CCR and Lil wayne are both music.  CCR is music and lil wayne is entertainment at best. Regardless both should be left in the car.

Jim Dover · · Idyllwild, CA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 155

What's wrong with listening to nature and your partner? Turn that shit off or put in ear buds!

Daniel T wrote:

You can not say CCR and Lil wayne are both music.  CCR is music and lil wayne is entertainment at best. Regardless both should be left in the car.

He also mentioned Toto, so finally there's a good cover of that one and only song everyone knows:

CrimpDaddy WesP · · Chattanooga!! · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 3,205

I think music is awesome when climbing at the gym, but not when you're outside. Enjoy the stillness of the wilderness, or the social deafening at the more popular crags. If you aren't inspired to send hard without music, than just stay in the gym, or learn to be inspired by the wind and the birds. I always think of even the easiest climbs as a bit of an "adventure" and it's not really an adventure when you've got music playing.

Just another opinion in a sea of opinions....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Music at the Crag"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started