Mountain Project Logo

Royal Columns, Yakima, WA Closure

Original Post
Kevin L. Young · · Sumner, WA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 15

Royal column was closed due to a column failure.  Looks like x-factor, cutting edge, cross eyed and painless and possibly orange sunshine may be gone.  The closure sign is dated today April 28, 2017

we were not able to hike in.  

Jon Nelson · · Redmond, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 8,196

Thanks for the report. 

Others on the Royal Columns page have reported that a column fell over, the column with 'Stress management' and 'Price of complacency'. 

Snah Ntrm · · Seattle · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

What do you mean by gone? Those you listed are the best of the columns. The bend still has great stuf though. 

Jplotz · · Cashmere, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,315

No way!! A basalt column toppled?! No way. I don't believe it. 

Why the closure?  Frenchman's would have a permanent closure if they closed it each time a column fell over. 

Dumb. 

andyf · · Tacoma, WA · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 2,016

The routes from Cutting Edge to Orange Sunshine are not "gone," but the detached pillar that had Price of Complacency and Stress Management did topple early this morning.  From looking at a photo sent by a friend, it looks like the pillar fell to the right (in the direction POC leaned).  Looks like there's some scarring low down on the surrounding faces, but hard to tell how extensive or whether it affects any other routes.  One thing is clear:  it looks like the pillar hit the boulder at the base of Thriller Pillar, because that thing is gone!

Joe Sexton · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 30

Jon is correct it looks like the column with stress management came down. Best I can tell from the below photo X-factor, Orange Sunshine and Crosseyed and Painless may still be intact. 

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

damn, i just climbed all of those routes a month or so ago. didn't seem any chossier than any other similar routes i have been on lately.

The Royal Columns re-opened today (May 26).  Please note there is significant debris along the cliff base and final stretch of access trail.  The WCC is organizing a work party on June 3 to do an initial clean up, to be followed by a trail project in late September.  Please stick as closely as possible to the original trail, avoid walking on newly disturbed dirt, and don't roll rocks down the hill.  The WCC will be using the rock in its trail building later this year.  Thanks!

Andy Fitz, WCC board member

Kevin L. Young · · Sumner, WA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 15

Thank You, Andy Fitz for the update!!!

Drederek · · Olympia, WA · Joined Mar 2004 · Points: 315

So is there a crack back there or what?  Whats the new name?  You're not gunna wait this time are you Andy?

Yeah, there's another easier fifth-class Columns crack system along the lines of Western Front, Slacker, etc.  A couple guys from Yakima climbed it right after the re-opening.  Still quite dirty, but looks fun.  They've also TR'd the newly-exposed arete on the left wall. 

I stopped by there Saturday to clean things up a bit, but I have other stuff in the works.  One of them is an area I think you might like, Drederek. 

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45

Thanks for the update, Andy!

Say... with Jim Yoder releasing a new guidebook for Frenchman Coulee this fall, have you heard anything about a new guidebook for Tieton River Canyon?

Drederek · · Olympia, WA · Joined Mar 2004 · Points: 315
andyf wrote:

One of them is an area I think you might like, Drederek. 

I'll have to see if I can get my Ed on over soon!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Royal Columns, Yakima, WA Closure"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.