Mountain Project Logo

How do you know you are hopelessly hooked on climbing?

Erik Keever · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 415

When you look back on when you first started climbing and think "Well, thank God I learned to not climb for 5 days straight and to warm up before I was strong enough to really hurt myself."

Erik Keever · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 415
Old lady H wrote:When.... When.... Man, this is worse than AA. Whew! Allright, when.... You see THIS in a parking lot, a shopping center parking lot, and your brain says: "Hey, bet if ya sit on the pavement, grab that pointy bit on the left...hmmm... could maybe practice some heel hooks!" Hopeless. Hooked. Sheesh. And it's snowing. Again. Please kidnap me? OLH
When you and your climber friends are walking through the city and start remarking to each other how and how difficult buildering all the architecture you pass would be.
Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

When during injury recovery you are planning an even bigger climb.

normajean · · Reading, PA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 110

When you are a skier and no longer depresses that winter is coming to an end

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
waldo wrote:When you take a three dollar an hour pay cut bucause your new job allows you to climb at work.
This. So much. Amazing how much happier I am.
llanSan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 130

1) When you play with your wife's Boobs and grab them as slopers.

2) When you are having the intimate moment and suddenly the projects gets in your mind and start mimicking the moves and grabbing wifes left boob as wide pinch, and crimping right nipple.

Johnny Kipp · · St Albert Alberta · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 105
llanSan wrote:1) When you play with your wife's Boobs and grab them as slopers. 2) When you are having the intimate moment and suddenly the projects gets in your mind and start mimicking the moves and grabbing wifes left boob as wide pinch, and crimping right nipple.
Lol, Thanks for the visual, how does your wife feel about being used as a woody, as opposed to being on one. Just don't get into the underclings, that's TMI.
Corey Trudel · · Allenstown, NH · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

When you knock on the front door of the house down to the road just to ask the owner if you can climb the big rock in his front yard.

I was very happy when he smirked and responded with "There's a v1 crack, v3 arête, and Id say the face runs at around v5"

JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56
coreyt1337 wrote:

When you knock on the front door of the house down to the road just to ask the owner if you can climb the big rock in his front yard.

I was very happy when he smirked and responded with "There's a v1 crack, v3 arête, and Id say the face runs at around v5"

That guy deserves a beer.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

When you are ready and waiting for your MP climbing date...

Forty minutes ahead.

:-)

EDIT to add: and, the hopelessly hooked on the other end sends a text "be there shortly" almost forty minutes early, while you are typing the above on MP!

I could just say, when you could post on this thread weekly, and still find climbing creeping into...everything.

Yet another:

I pulled into the REI parking lot recently, just to send a text message. Right across from me was a vehicle that just screamed "dirtbag", with Virginia license plates.

Emerging from the vehicle, a guy who, well, looked as "dirtbag" as his vehicle.

I can't stand it, so I get out, smile, walk over, and say something about the plates and welcome to Idaho. Tiny bit of friendly chit chat.

Then I ask, "do you rock climb?"

A guarded reply: "a little..."

I stick out my hand, say "I'm Old Lady H, on Mountain Project", as we are shaking hands.

"Oh. Ohhhh!" And the grin of recognition at a fellow climber.

Hopelessly.

Hooked.

Best, OLH 

Riel Bilto · · NJ · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

When everything around you looks like a climb brick walls, kitchen counters, trees, power lines, doorways...LOL

Anus Herder · · Colona, CO · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 4,736

When it hurts to poo and the only thing you can do is go for the #3 cam stuck on Heavy Weather in Eldo, to make it feel real.
llanSan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 130
Anus Herder wrote:

When it hurts to poo and the only thing you can do is go for the #3 cam stuck on Heavy Weather in Eldo, to make it feel real.

wwwttddffff?

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

I have twist on the old mathematician's joke, What does a constipated ice climber do?          Well ,?, can you guess  ? ,I  They use Tools to work it out  - but as to the topic : I know I'm still totally obsessed when -after @ least 5yrs of visiting this spot,  I've got point out this

I'm still finding Classics out there I promise 

When your right ring finger knuckle has been annoying you for so many weeks you finally figure out it might be your first climbing hand injury and not just old age.

And that makes you smile.

OLH

Ashwin S · · Gurgaon, IN · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 165

When your wife whom you have been married for over ten years says she's filling for divorce and you get busy calculating the time that would free up for you to climb.

Walter Galli · · Las vegas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 2,247

When your feet are more in the air than in the ground.

Ben Hobgood · · Conifer, CO · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 225

while on a road-trip driving through flat land in WY this past week I followed a misplaced mountainproject area pin 50 minutes off the highway on a dirt-road toward a private ranch hoping that a spire would magically appear.  The rancher thought I was a nutcase for looking for rocks out there.  Turns out the misplaced gps location was meant for the needles in SD, now I'm going to have to go back and find it!  You know you are hopelessly hooked when you will spend hours to get on a single pitch when you are jonesn' for some climbing!

RyanJames · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 505
Chase D wrote: I find cam placements all over my house (eg a thin slot between a book shelf and wall). I'm constantly looking at things and saying yep, a .5 would fit there perfectly

I have a PERFECT .4 placement right under my car radio!!! Such perfect fingers!!! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "How do you know you are hopelessly hooked on cl…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started