Mountain Project Logo

Best places in the world to do Summer climbing(June/July/Aug)

Original Post
Bessie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 0

Looking to see where the best climbing destinations are for Late June, all of July or early Aug? My husband and I are going on our honeymoon then and looking for a destination trip. We're looking for mostly sport, trad and bouldering. Possibly somewhere tropic would be awesome but anywhere in the mountains works too. Any ideas? Were pretty open.

Thanks

Jimmy Downhillinthesnow · · Fort Collins, CO / Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10

It's definitely not tropical, but the Pacific Northwest. June can be a bit rainy, but if it's raining on the west side of the Cascades then Smith Rock is bone dry. Head up to Squamish after that--conditions are usually prime in July and August. You can spend a whole month there, easily, and although mostly known for trad and bouldering, there's sport climbing too. There's also Index, Skaha in BC for sport climbing, Washington Pass in the North Cascades, and the Bugaboos nearby.

Average rainfall in Seattle for July and August combined is somewhere around an inch and a half, total. Thunderstorms are relatively rare in the Cascades, unlike the Rockies. Average highs in Squamish and the Cascades are in the low 70s. Good beer abounds.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430

Rainy season at that time of year in the northern hemisphere. No bueno for tropics. Southern, it is hot and dry.

My rec is Tuolumne and Sierra east side. by moving up as needed to cool off or the reverse to find more heat or get out of the rain you can have ideal (for you) temps all summer as desired. Done it.

Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

SQUAMISH!

jmapping · · Carbondale, co · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 766

I could get stuck on a continuous loop of these areas and die a happy camper. Let me know if you want any beta.

British Columbia Canada

• Squamish - trad, bouldering, sport... just plain amazing

Washington (North Cascades)
  • Index - trad
  • Goldbar - bouldering (some of the best anywhere in a temperate rainforest)
  • Leavenworth - trad & bouldering
  • Alpine Lakes Wilderness - amazing alpine trad
  • Washington Pass - it's like alpine cragging (multi-pitch)
  • Darrington - Huge adventurous multi-pitch granite domes
  • Seriously consider an alpine romp up Mt. Baker or Mt. Shuksan for some good old glaciated alpine climbing. I have friends that can help you with these if ya like.

Oregon
  • Smith Rock - sport
  • Trout Creek - trad

Idaho
  • City of Rocks - Trad, sport, and bouldering. Stay at the Almo Inn for one of your more comfortable honeymoon nights.

Note: If you do this you must report back on the experience.

Otherwise, I've been wanting to go to Croatia: mountainproject.com/v/croat…
Kees van der Heiden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 40

The Dolomites in Italy. Everything is there, sport, bouldering, trad, alpine in huge quantities. And it is a brilliant place to be.

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

Chamonix is spectacular during that time of the year. A little more romantic than the PNW too ;)

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194
chrisccc wrote:Chamonix is spectacular during that time of the year. A little more romantic than the PNW too ;)
Never been there for climbing, but skiing makes it is one of my favorite places on Earth. Splurge for dinner at the Albert 1er, and make sure you hit up the Hotel Eden for dinner as well. The bar across from the train station is not to be missed if you want to hand out with a huge crowd of drinking Europeans.
jason.cre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 10

Yosemite, Bugaboos and Cirque of the Unclimbables.

rpc · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 775

With that much time off, I’d try something more “exotic” vs. staying in the US or Canada (you can do all those trips later when you’re limited to a week or two).

Some random ideas…
Check out Malaysia’s Dragon Horns on Tioman Island. June is actually a (relatively) dry period there….still, the weather was pretty variable. Great tropical island atmosphere, secluded. Granite multipitch on proud looking towers.

Dolomites are fun. Logistics are trivial and lots of long routes at all grade levels. Lots to choose from in Europe. Spain has a great mix of big cragging and nice looking alpine. Should be ideal for the dead of summer.

I believe that South Africa (other than Western Cape) has drier weather during our summer but haven’t been. Next door Namibia was great though.

Mainland Australia should be good during our summer.

Lots and lots of options…all depends on budget really.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Best places in the world to do Summer climbing(…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started