Mountain Project Logo

Cheapest way to mail shoes for resoling?

Original Post
Raymond Moreno · · Roseville, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 140

Hey, folks...I guess the title of this thread explains it all.

Sending a pair of shoes out, and wondering what is the cheapest way to get them there.

UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc...

Thinking of just packing them in a plastic package.

Any frugal folks out there with some helpful input?

In Christ: Raymond

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Check the instructions for rock and resole. They recommend getting a flat rate USPS bag...think it's like $5.

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

Probably parcel post (USPS) in the smallest package you can stuff them into.

Steve Bond · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 45

Just in case you need the number:
mountainproject.com/v/phone…

:) Always nice to relive the classics!

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651

USPS has been cheapest for me. I've shipped two pairs in one box and it was around $8 IIRC

Thomas Beck · · Las Vegas, Nevada · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,025
Ted Pinson wrote:Check the instructions for rock and resole. They recommend getting a flat rate USPS bag...think it's like $5.
--------------------------------------
This is the lowest cost. A tyvek bag from eh post office. Print you own postage is less. That's how I have gotten shoes from the Rubber Room in Bishop, CA. Next is a small box; original shoe box works with enough tape reinforcing...I think that's about $7.50. US postal is lowest cost.

Thanks, folks.

Went to the Post Office and got one of those large Priority Mail bags

I'm in Millbrae, CA, right across the street from the San Francisco Airport. And mailing it to the "Yosemite Bum" (Buena Oark, CA) cost me $11.10.

That was for a pair of Evolv Shaman's, size US-9, and $150.00 insurance.

Just thought I'd post this in case someone else was interested.

$11.10 with $150.00 insurance.

Brandon C · · Cincy, OH · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 240

The tyvek bags are solid. The best value though, especially if you are far away from your resoler, is the "Padded Flat Rate Envelope." That package will ship anything you can fit into the envelope, to anywhere in the US for $6.50. Padded flat rates are probably one of the best values in usps shipping.

Ed Henicle · · Santa Rosa, CA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,369

Good Beta Brandon

Another way to save shipping costs is to print your labels using PayPal/shipnow

You can print all types of shipping labels there - First Class, Parcel, Media, etc. That's not possible at the USPS consumer website, and you get the payPal discount.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Raymond, there are only a few bucks difference among the shipping options. If you are on that tight of a budget, it's going to be tough to get geared up for climbing.

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151

He is trolling for his god.

Thanks for the info, guys.

I kinda stayed away from the padded envelope, as it didn't look too solid.

I believe I also read on a (resolers) website, that they were not recommended.

I mailed it out this morning when I stopped by the Post Office before it even opened. It was convenient, as the packaging was already there, and the machine weighed and printed everything on the spot.

The insurance was also recommended by the website for the shoes.

The help on this thread was informative, as I have never shipped-out shoes before.

I was just looking for information from folks who have done this before, and the plastic Priority Mail bag worked to keep the weight down.

Thanks again.

FrankPS wrote:Raymond, there are only a few bucks difference among the shipping options. If you are on that tight of a budget, it's going to be tough to get geared up for climbing.
Budget wasn't tight. (I'm also totally geared-up for lead climbing, bowhunting, and I am a multigun competitor as well). ;)

Just wanted information from others who have trodden down this path before.

I purchased a new pair of Evolv Shamans, and waited for them to arrive before shipping these out.

The hole on the old shoe was not too bad. But I was hoping to get it repaired before it got worst.

It "may" need a new rand, or maybe not. I don't know. I left it up to Yosemite Bum to do whatever needed to be done.

Lemme see if I can attach a photo of the hole from my cell phone. (Contrasting the old verses the new).

Old verses new

Side view.
t.farrell wrote: Also, why did you get new shoes if you're getting hte old ones resoled?
Just in case.

It's always good to have a second (or even a third) pair of shoes laying around as a backup.

Just in case this happens again, or if I accidentally leave them at the park while outdoor bouldering, or if I want to swap them out more frequently to thoroughly dry and air out.

I'm actually looking for a pair of good, outdoor, lead climbing shoes for wide feet.

But that's another goat trail. :)

Long story short - as a backup.

Brandon C · · Cincy, OH · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 240
RaymondMillbrae wrote:Thanks for the info, guys. I kinda stayed away from the padded envelope, as it didn't look too solid. I believe I also read on a (resolers) website, that they were not recommended. I mailed it out this morning when I stopped by the Post Office before it even opened. It was convenient, as the packaging was already there, and the machine weighed and printed everything on the spot. The insurance was also recommended by the website for the shoes. The help on this thread was informative, as I have never shipped-out shoes before. I was just looking for information from folks who have done this before, and the plastic Priority Mail bag worked to keep the weight down. Thanks again. In Christ: Raymond
Padded flat rates are bomber, especially if you wrap the shoes with something on the inside. Theyre made of a really tough plastic, and it would be extremely difficult to destroy one. I can go to bet that the "envelope" they are referring to is the normal flat rate envelope. If you put shoes in one, it would be destroyed by the time it was shipped to them.

Super fast service by Yosemite Bum.

Look at my previous post (photo of the shipping envelope) and you will see that they received it by 29th of October.

Today is November 1st, and I just got a tracking number saying that the shoes are done, and are being mailed back to me.

Super quick!

I'll post an update when they arrive...if I remember.

In Christ: Raymond.

rging · · Salt Lake City, Ut · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 210
Ted Pinson wrote:Check the instructions for rock and resole. They recommend getting a flat rate USPS bag...think it's like $5.
BTW, what's their number?
Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 266

Carrier Pigeon...... Oh wait...... I'm too late.

Ok, folks...just closing this thread out.

Like I had mentioned before, I shipped the shoes in a priority mail bag, fully insured for $150, and it cost me $11.10.

The package was shipped out, and received by them October 29th. Today is November 3, and my shoes have been returned.

They were returned in exactly the same type of package I shipped them out in.

Below are a few pictures of their work.

Props to Yosemite Bum for their quick turnaround speed, and the quality of their service. (If you go to the Evolv website, they are the resoler's they refer you to for repairs of their shoes).

Total price I was charged: $$37.00.

And with my original $11.10 insured shipping...$48.10.

FYI: There was no wait time, and they use Trax rubber...unless you supply your own rubber with your old shoes. In which case, they will deduct $7.00.

The completed shoes.

A close-up of the tips.

A shot of the bottoms. Only a 1/2 resole was done.

An angled view of the completed shoes.

Here is a shot of the new shoes I purchased 1 week ago (closest to us), versus the newly resoled shoes, which are furthest away from us.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Cheapest way to mail shoes for resoling?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started