Mountain Project Logo

$800 Climbing Sweaters

Original Post
Shannon Davis · · Lyons, CO · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 140

A bunch of climbing in GQ.

Actually a pretty cool oral history of climbing and 'style' with the stonemasters:
gq.com/story/stonemasters-r…

But then also this fashion shoot. Stoked for the climbers within, but ... so weird.
gq.com/story/fall-fashion-r…

grubbers · · West Shore · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 0

Perfect for those offwidth projects.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

The $800 dollar sweater is nothin' - in that article, Jimmy Chin has a $3295 sweater on. It is by Valentino, so it must be worth it. Whoever Valentino is.

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

Wow, I have to get some of those duds, then maybe women wont think I am creepy and micro aggressing when I oogle them at the crag

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

I'm poor, so I get angry about stuff like this.

Peter Beal · · Boulder Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,825

"They also patented a lifestyle built around the sport and the spirit of scaling steep cliffs, sheer rock faces, and impossibly pitched verticals. All under the influence of the California sun, the psychedelic sounds of the 1970s"

steep sheer impossibly pitched; man, climbing is hard!

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203
Adventure Visionary: Vest, $3,395, (similar style) Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci / Sweater, $3,295, by Valentino / Hat, $135, PS by Paul Smith / Bag by Black Diamond, There are some things money can't buy. For everything else there's MasterCard.
Billcoe · · Pacific Northwet · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 930

The clothes generally look like typical dirtbag style from Goodwill. It would be fun to get some of those photographed, and along with these ask folks to price out what they think the value/cost should be. LOL

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

The Stonemasters article was pretty cool.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Can't buy your sweater, spent all my money on trad gear and booze. :(

Don't they know climbers?? People who sleep in vans and don't even bother to pay for a campsite?!

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
FrankPS wrote:The $800 dollar sweater is nothin' - in that article, Jimmy Chin has a $3295 sweater on. It is by Valentino, so it must be worth it. Whoever Valentino is.
It looks pretty terrible to be honest. So yeah probably worth it.
TBlom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 360

Must have clothing for dirtbaggin' in a sprinter!

Chris Duca · · Dixfield, ME · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 2,330

Christ, now I've seen it all. Guaranteed to see some of this at the Gunks this Fall.

Lee St · · Dallas, Ga. · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

The article on the history of the stonemasters was really cool.

Dave Bn · · Boise, ID · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 10

So crunchy.

Mattisamonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 10
Burcheydawwwwwwg wrote:I'm poor, so I get angry about stuff like this.
I'm with you on this one.

Did these guys who are obviously in the position of being role models, stop and think about the consequences of their actions? Climbing is being popularized enough, to the point now that these pro athletes are getting major media attention. I think with this shift, as individuals in the climbing community we hold a responsibility to nature and the preservation of this planet. The textile industry pollutes more than must people care to know. I find this kind of marketing appalling and I'm ashamed that these athletes don't have higher morals. This "I'm gonna get mine" mentality is enslaving us and propelling us towards future environmental problems. I can only hope that the morality of these role models change into a direction that will spark thought provoking conversation, instead of dressing up like clowns in the desert.
Ben Mackall · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 1,823
Mattisamonkey wrote: I'm with you on this one. Did these guys who are obviously in the position of being role models, stop and think about the consequences of their actions? Climbing is being popularized enough, to the point now that these pro athletes are getting major media attention. I think with this shift, as individuals in the climbing community we hold a responsibility to nature and the preservation of this planet. The textile industry pollutes more than must people care to know. I find this kind of marketing appalling and I'm ashamed that these athletes don't have higher morals. This "I'm gonna get mine" mentality is enslaving us and propelling us towards future environmental problems. I can only hope that the morality of these role models change into a direction that will spark thought provoking conversation, instead of dressing up like clowns in the desert.
^^^ this. Jimmy Chin has at one point been a Patagonia ambassador. Patagonia, which has one of the best track records in the entire clothing industry for environmental stewardship. There is no professional world in which you should be able to supoort companies with such at-odds morals. What the fuck are they doing promoting for Italian designer brands? Lacoste has one of the lowest sustainability scores (E out of an F scale) out there, as does Givenchy. I have ultimate respect for all these guys as athletes and pioneers in their field (Chin in particular) but this is some seriously stupid shit.
Alex Bury · · Ojai, CA · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 2,376
M Sprague wrote:Wow, I have to get some of those duds, then maybe women wont think I am creepy and micro aggressing when I oogle them at the crag
Damn, you got me laughing on that one.
Brady3 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 15
B-Mkll wrote:Patagonia, which has one of the best track records in the entire clothing industry for environmental stewardship. There is no professional world in which you should be able to supoort companies with such at-odds morals.
Yea, but Patagonia's stuff is still over-priced (admittedly, not anywhere near as much as this stuff). So maybe you shouldn't be too surprised.
Nate D · · Tacoma, WA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 950

I'll back these guys up. You sport your absurd clothing, professional climbers, I hope to see you sending 5.15s in that $7500 outfit.

Some things are about morals, but some things can just be for fun.

That level of designer clothes is to Ecological harm as an annual New Years cigar is to your health. Yeah, it's really bad on the micro level, but the macro volume is so low it's actual effect is at worst, marginal. I'd be more worried about the mega-manufacturers who hide in the mid-range of eco friendly practices.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969
Mattisamonkey wrote: I'm with you on this one. Did these guys who are obviously in the position of being role models, stop and think about the consequences of their actions? Climbing is being popularized enough, to the point now that these pro athletes are getting major media attention. I think with this shift, as individuals in the climbing community we hold a responsibility to nature and the preservation of this planet. The textile industry pollutes more than must people care to know. I find this kind of marketing appalling and I'm ashamed that these athletes don't have higher morals. This "I'm gonna get mine" mentality is enslaving us and propelling us towards future environmental problems. I can only hope that the morality of these role models change into a direction that will spark thought provoking conversation, instead of dressing up like clowns in the desert.
You must be fun at parties.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "$800 Climbing Sweaters"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started