Mountain Project Logo

What is the point of climbing?

Original Post
Frances McMeinenschnitzel · · Aurora, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 5

Single pitch routes get you to a place 100ish feet from where you started, then you just come back to where you started. There is no money, food, or candy at the top. People seem to want to climb higher grades. But the higher the grade, the harder it is to get to the anchor. And the anchor is just some arbitrary spot in the middle of a cliff.

Muli-pitch routes get you to a different place than where you started, but there still is not a burger king, starbucks, not even a water fountain at the top. In most cases, it is faster and easier to walk to the same place. Then you just go back home.

I'm confused. Can anyone please explain why people are so compelled to do this activity?

Joel Allen · · La Crosse, WI · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 265

It's fun?

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
Frances McMeinenschnitzel wrote:Single pitch routes get you to a place 100ish feet from where you started, then you just come back to where you started. There is no money, food, or candy at the top. People seem to want to climb higher grades. But the higher the grade, the harder it is to get to the anchor. And the anchor is just some arbitrary spot in the middle of a cliff. Muli-pitch routes get you to a different place than where you started, but there still is not a burger king, starbucks, not even a water fountain at the top. In most cases, it is faster and easier to walk to the same place. Then you just go back home. I'm confused. Can anyone please explain why people are so compelled to do this activity?
It's a mental disorder, but it's not hereditary or anything like that, it's contagious, so if you don't have it yet, stay as far away from climbing as possible so that you don't catch it.
Dan Parisian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0

So you have a reason to take your shirt off if a beach isn't handy. Duh.

Sometimes, you can mix it up & wear a beanie.

Basically, climbing is all about looking good.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Why are you on this website if you don't appreciate or understand climbing?

You could ask the same questions about almost any sport:

What's the point in hitting that tennis ball over the net?

keithconn · · LI, NY · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 35

It makes the voices in my head quiet down for a little while.

Once I found candy at the top, and I'm hoping it happens again.

todd k · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 0

because, if i wasn't climbing i would be trolling the internet all day.

SMarsh · · NY, NY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 37

It's all about how you get there. The movements, the balance, the fluidity, and the achievement of doing something special and different are part of this.

Most of it is for yourself, and if your partner(s) appreciate(s) what you do, there's that, too.

The view from 100' up can be significantly more spectacular than ground level.

The higher grades indicate a more serious level of expertise or effort, and it's a way of rating what you've done.

And actually, in Europe, there are some very nice huts with good food and drink at the top of some climbs.

frank minunni · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined May 2011 · Points: 95

I can only masturbate so much

Tee Kay · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 110

"And actually, in Europe, there are some very nice huts with good food and drink at the top of some climbs."
^^^!!
I've known this for a while; but I need to get back to Europe.
Open a hut, rap down on break. Climb up. Continue serving coffee.

Also Frances, isn't it like any mental disorder?
Why would anyone care about hitting a stupid little green ball back and forth between opponents?
Or getting an orange ball through a 10' net? 22 guys in tights fighting for a ball that's not even round?
Trying to swim from one end of a pool to another faster than someone else, for medal on a ribbon?
Getting into an octagon with another scantily clad partner and trying to hit each other and wrestle around until one loses consciousness or taps out?
Eating as many hot dogs as you possibly can in 20 minutes?
Strapping yourself onto a board (or two boards) to cruise downhill in fresh powder, or even less understandably, groomed ice?

-->Even a better question, why would anyone watch any of those things on a little box with a screen when they could be out vertically rock dancing?

gtluke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1

it's practice for mountaineering.
but I suck in the cold, so it's practice for the sake of practice.
like bouldering. it's practice for rock climbing. but some people stop there (they can't afford a trad rack) ;)

Kevin Fischetto · · Cambridge, MA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 5
Frances McMeinenschnitzel wrote:Single pitch routes get you to a place 100ish feet from where you started, then you just come back to where you started. There is no money, food, or candy at the top. People seem to want to climb higher grades. But the higher the grade, the harder it is to get to the anchor. And the anchor is just some arbitrary spot in the middle of a cliff. Muli-pitch routes get you to a different place than where you started, but there still is not a burger king, starbucks, not even a water fountain at the top. In most cases, it is faster and easier to walk to the same place. Then you just go back home. I'm confused. Can anyone please explain why people are so compelled to do this activity?
Why go for a jog if you can just drive? Why do you even bother to live if you are going to die? Why do people do anything?

This is a classic philosophical problem. You can appprach it in many different ways.

I'd recommend reading up on Myth of Sysyphus (theory of absurdity) and maybe some Rusell.
Chase D · · CA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 195
Kev F wrote: Why go for a jog if you can just drive? Why do you even bother to live if you are going to die? Why do people do anything? This is a classic philosophical problem. You can appprach it in many different ways. I'd recommend reading up on Myth of Sysyphus (theory of absurdity) and maybe some Rusell.
Bingo!
Frances McMeinenschnitzel · · Aurora, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 5
Tim Lutz wrote:You have to climb... ...to rappel have any sweet GroPro rappel vids to share?
Go Pro? No. Unfortunately, I'm still saving my allowance for one. Does anyone have one they can give me?

Here are faves that show some epic footage.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gc-Sy7f…
youtube.com/watch?v=KW9VVzu…
Paul Hassett · · Aurora CO · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 161

Most of the time it stops the voices

ton · · Salt Lake City · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

it's cheaper than hookers and blow

sanz · · Pisgah Forest, NC · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 210

come on dude this is some entry level trolling. study some of the grand masters on this site and step your game up

matt c. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 155
keithconn wrote:Once I found candy at the top, and I'm hoping it happens again.
This happened to me to! Best Easter ever.
ROCKMAN2 · · Nederland, CO · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 300

There is no "point" to climbing, or life really.. None of us chose this existence, we are not here because we want to be. We were all spit out of a hole and into this stimulating situation. Everything is simply happening and we happen to have the ability to sense it in our limited "human" ways.

To paraphrase Carl Sagan: "we are a way for the universe to know itself". So, I guess the universe is down with some self-exploration, and some of us are wired in such a way that we can't get enough rock/ice/trees etc. in our lives.

We are monkeys in denial. Honor your inner monkey, forget all the fictions of the mind, and a sublime state of existence in the now is your reward.

Those are my existential ponderings regarding purpose and climbing.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

Climbing friend,

The point of pulling with your crushing grip your way up the climbing rocks is to make bold flash, sculpt your guns, and yes, to do the impressing of others around you with your abilities and your muscley neck and back meat when you would remove your shirt.

I would find some people they also enjoy the mental and physical challenge, rather than only sit depress in front of television or playing with themselves.

Tev · · Hickory · Joined May 2012 · Points: 25

Everyone has their form of WHIMSICAL entertainment. Some quad wheel about, others fish, dog show, pimp their ride, sculpt their bod, collect rare and incurable diseases, flash mob, etc. It's all it really is, WHIMSY!!! BUT I AM SURE ADDICTED!!! Just love getting out, 'hiking in 3-D", hanging out with friends, drinking beer...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What is the point of climbing?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started